If you had $1700 to spend on your stock FiST...

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by stuntdoogie, Dec 10, 2013.

1. limbo

limbo Active Member

This may be a first, but I agree with Wash here.

Except maybe the brakes, I'm not sure I'd call them typical OEM. OEM-ish, maybe, but damn good for OEM.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. wash

wash Active Member

No, the hardware is pretty typical except for the dusty pads.

Those pads, the summer tires and the car's light weight make it work well.

I kind of expect that there is a weakness lying beneath the surface because there are lots of slightly bigger cars with much bigger brakes that can't handle more than one or two laps on a road course before the brakes fade.

I know after a one minute autocross with a lot of braking, the tires are cooked and slowing for that last hairpin makes it handle more like a plow than a sports car. I have to imagine the brakes aren't far behind the tires.

It might take something like a gocart track to expose the brakes weakness but its there somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

autocross wheels and tires and exhaust.

Dunlop Direzza ZII 225/45x16; 23#:
    16x7 Sparco Assetto Gara Matte Graphite, 16.7#.
    Tire Rack price: $952+S&H

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  5. limbo

limbo Active Member

Nice choice you will not regret it I promise ;)

6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Hey Smokin, that's the same package I am looking at. I would love to see them on the car.

7. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

Mountune winglets, triple r composites splitter eidbach pro kit springs and sway bar

8. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

I'm not sure where the $1700 number came from but I think I'm at about $1400 already with the black Motegi wheels and the Pirelli Snow Control II's. Then add in the Husky floor liners and the K&N air filter. So I guess I have about $300 left to spend. CAI? Nah. I think the hole I drilled in the bottom of the airbox and the added tube extended below the front air dam is probably just as effective if not more so.

And since I am spending $460 as I write this for new tires on our loser cruiser minivan I think I'm going to wait until spring. The Cobb tuner is tempting. As far as the exhaust? I had a Flowmaster DBx catback on my 2012 Fiesta SE and frankly that was a little too loud at wide open throttle for me and the drone at freeway speeds was too much for rear seat passengers. It's been awhile since I have left the exhaust alone on any fun car I have ever owned but this might be the exception. Although someday I may try to fit the muffler alone from my Flowmaster for just a touch (hopefully) more sound.

9. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

I think the $1700 comes out of the pocket of Stuntdoggie, the person who started the thread. It's probably how much he has left over of what he allocated to acquire the car.

10. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Bingo! :) Actually this is a check Acura sent me when I canceled my TL's extended warranty.

11. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

Complete deja-vu lol =P

12. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I have a set of these wheels in my Tire Rack cart at this very moment! Maybe. These are listed as black and apparently will be discontinued -- as a result, they are now 16% cheaper ($109 each). I'm wondering if these are the same wheels, however.

These are listed as 16x7 with a 42mm offset. They don't list the actual weight, but came up with with a filtered search where I chose "<15 lbs.".

I'd be happy with 16.7 lbs, but I'm hoping they are more like 15 lbs. Anyone have experience with this current wheel at Tire Rack?

Those are an interesting tire choice. I don't know them, but the price is right! I'm worried about those in 225 mm width. How has this setup worked for you? Do you have any photos to share? I'm inclined to stick with a stock width here, and the 205/45/16s are just $82 each. Thoughts? Thanks!

13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep, same wheels just different finish. Just in my cart too. The weight should be the same across all of the Asseto Gara's. Car will be delivered early January and don't need this setup until March. I will be using them for autocross so want a little more width. Limbo has them has ax'd them and loves them.

I do have the Dunlop Winter Maxx and a set of Sparco Terra wheels on order for winter and Rallycross.

As for the Direzza's the autocross tire to have is either that or the BFG Rival. Opinions from the really experienced Axr's (which I value) have tended toward the Dunlops even though they don't pay contingency money, so we're talking best sticky handling out there. And so far BFG doesn't make a size that would fit........

14. McRib 1s Back

Thanks for the information and response -- I'm *very* close to pulling the trigger here! Also, I'm happy to move this to the wheel/tire section if more appropriate.

On the chance others find this interesting, I'll continue here for now...

I'm a big fan of reducing unsprung weight (those Wilwood brakes are likely next). In this case, it's mostly for fun -- I intend to do track days, but mostly this will be for weekends in canyons and just messing around. It's not my daily driver, so I could get away with R compound tires for the street (i.e., no wet use). You're saying what I want to hear -- I want sticky tires and have no interest in contingency money. Back when I used to auto-x (and I sucked!), I used to solicit opinions from all of the old guys. I'm tired of getting lost in the cones, so I'll stick to "real tracks". :) I'd imagine those work well for spirited street driving and short tracks (like Streets @ Willow), but I recall that auto-x and track tires used to be very different back when I was more active there (say ten years ago).

So what about the 225mm width? That seems like a bad setup for the street (I'm intolerant of even a little rubbing). With the 42mm offset, does that prevent it? I think I'm going to be happy with the stock size (and I believe that compound > width). Speaking of compound, do these Dunlop tires heat up fast enough and sustain it without getting greasy? We have a light car, so that's something to think about too, right?

Did you guys catch the TireRack/C&D story about testing on the BRZ, Mustang V6, and BMW 3? If I took one thing away from that, it was that a LOT of work goes into OEM testing for compound/size on performance cars (i.e., you can make it worse by randomly changing things).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  15. McRib 1s Back

I did a quick forum search and didn't find much on feedback from the short shift mod. A few people commented that typical cable-actuated FWD shifters aren't great, but there are exceptions (e.g., RSX Type S isn't bad). To come clean, I swore off FWD cars after my last one in the 90s (a very nice, but very FWD 200 SX SE-R that I did a ton of custom work on, including the first big turbo build on a domestic SR20. Big power! Big torque steer!). I do love my FiST, however!

Anyhow, that car was actually rod actuated and with a short shifter, it felt great (better than my Z32 300ZX TT short shifter IMO!). The throws were very short, and it had a very mechanical feeling to it. That was the good stuff. On the down side, it made all kinds of bad noises and introduced some serious NVH. We fixed most of it by adjusting/trimming the exhaust heat shield, etc.

I bring this up because those are my concerns here. I'm betting it won't be plagued by the same issue given the cable setup. I also want to say that the shifting is way better than I expected in stock form. It might be a little long, but it's super smooth. I don't want to tamper and end up with something worse than stock. Also for those that did this, were you able to salvage your stock knob? I often use a strap wrench, but it's 50/50 about killing the knob in the removal process. Maybe that's why people are buying the aftermarket knobs? :)

16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I feel the shift in general feels great stock, but a bit too long and too light. The Mountune kit makes it perfect, but don't buy one till they fix the geometry ... search the forums for Quick Shift. You are correct that the cable nature of this shifter removes the NVH problem. Since the Mountune mod is under the hood then nothing needs to change with the knob. Personally I felt the reverse lockout spring was too light so I did replace mine with a stiffer one.

17. limbo

limbo Active Member

I run that wheel setup and have no rubbing whatsoever with 225mm width z2's. I have not and do not intend to track on them, though, only auto-x. My buddy with an s2000 runs them and his lap times do drop off after a couple hot laps. If you can find a size, the Hankook RS-3's are better track tires IMO as they handle heat better. These are what I run on my track s2000 and they're great.

18. takuarc

takuarc Member

HID projector headlight retrofit :p
    And replace all halogen bulbs with high quality LEDs.
    And save some money for the rainy days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk