Is the Recaro package worth it?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Interior Upgrades' started by breon, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

Any add on option from the factory is going to unfortunately cost a bit of extra cash. Take the navigation for example, ~$700 option on a car that already comes equipped with a MFT unit. Likely all it takes to make it work is a firmware change to accept nav and the nav SD card. But TBH, I'd rather pay that and have the nav in dash than a janky unit connected to the windshield that falls off all the time...

In the same idea, with the seats you can get the seats that are made and designed to fit the car, have matching seat covers with the rear, and bolt in for $2K with the added heated seats and mirrors, or you can get an aftermarket seat also made by Recaro if you want that doesn't look near as good because it doesn't match the interior and they are a universal fit so you'd have to make them bolt in. I found one that looks similar in bolstering to the ST seat and it's $700 a seat. Aftermarket universal vs factory installed made for the car. I'll take the factory one even if it is $600 more.

Overall modding my current car, aftermarket parts are the main problems I've ever had with my car. So I really just want to keep it all factory with the ST. Luckily it comes pretty well equipped, so apart from the short shift kit, I don't have to mod it (I'll probably manage to get myself in enough trouble with the power it has from the factory). Similar cars like the Mini, FR-S, I dunno what else people would cross shop...start at a higher price and don't really even come with the standard equipment the Fiesta ST does. Overall, even though you're paying $2000 for seats and roughly $24-$25K after adding options, you still got a better deal than going with one of the other cars. If that thinking helps you feel better about your purchase anyway...

If the Recaros feel good for you, do yourself a favor and take the price hit. You'll be kicking yourself later when you have the base seats and you're sliding all over the place taking on a curvy road or AutoX track. My ZX2 factory seats have better thigh bolstering than the Fiesta base seats and I still slide in the seat.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. wash

wash Active Member

I kind of wish I had that janky GPS hanging from the windshield, at least I could toss it out the window if it refused to cancel navigation.

Since I got the Recaro package I can't try this but I was thinking that the FRPP/Mustang Recaros would be better fitting for my wide frame while retaining the airbags.

Right now I get pinched in the ribs by the side bolsters, my gut isn't the problem and my ribs won't shrink no matter how much I diet so I hope the seats break in over time.

The seat bottom is fine and in an autocross I was held quite firmly so it gets that right.

On a day to day basis I take a bit longer to get in and out of the seat and passengers that are wide and not used to narrow seats really notice them.

I'm OK with the seats but the price is high for something I'm just OK with.

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me if the Recaro's are heated on the bottom and back or just the bottom of the seat?
    Thanks
    BRGT350 I know you have used them and will again soon I bet ;) lol

5. Stevelach

Stevelach Active Member

Both the bottom and the back. They don't get as hot as my 2011 did.

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

ok only one setting on or off ?? no lo / hi setting ?

7. Stevelach

Stevelach Active Member

Unfortunately only on and off. The good news is that on is just about perfect:)

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Awesome and thank you sir .. It looks like the Black HIll's SD may get a couple feet of winter this weekend ...... yeah ..:egg::facepalm:

9. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

And "on" is pretty much "right now ". My 2002 GTI seemed to take about 5 minutes before feeling any "toasty buns " ☺️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

RodMoe likes this.
  10. SlowPaul

SlowPaul New Member

When I bought my ST, the dealer had two to choose from. One with the Recaro's, and one without. I bought the one with the standard seats. I'm 5'7" and about 205lbs (working on that diet thing too....) I was very snug in the Recaro seat. Seeing as how I drive about 60 miles a day in wonderful SoCal traffic, the standard seats are just fine for me. I've used a CG Lock for the better part of 7 years and that helps snug the seat belt down. For now, I'm happy with the seats, to be honest I think that they are the same seats that were in my Mazda2 that I owned previous to this car.

11. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

I am in Canada, so the ST is supplied with Recaro's. That being said, I love,love,love them ! :woot:
    My wife says sitting in them,is like getting a nice hug !

dislegal and Firesail like this.
  12. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Any idea of the additional weight of the Recaros over the stock seats? Just wondering if my Recaro ST is giving up straight-line performance to base STs?

13. wash

wash Active Member

I doubt the Recaros add any significant amount of weight, they make race seats as well as OEM stuff so they are much more likely to use light weight materials like tubing instead of solid steel bars. Even if they didn't its just additional foam bolstering and leather probably weighs a hair more than cloth. If the difference was more than 5lbs, I would expect the Recaros to be lighter.

14. Removed

Removed Guest

I remember someone weighting a Focus ST1 (no Recaro package) and ST2/3 (Recaros and other goodies) and they were within <10lbs. of each other. Considering all the extra weight MyFordTouch and the moonroof, etc. likely add I'd imagine the seats are nearly identical.

15. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Great, thanks! They look a lot heavier but I'm happy to see that's not the case.

16. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

I think they are the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. I couldn't imagine getting stock seats with the car and my butt gets instantly warm when I press the button lol wife loves it. I also drove 100 miles for work today and it was comfy. They are completely work the extra $16 a month or whatever it is.

17. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Drove the car home from the dealer today and both my back and butt hurt so much by the time I goy home that I plan on calling the salesperson and seeing about undoing the deal for an ST with the base seats. I don't recall the issue with the test drive but maybe my back wasn't in it's all-too-often pain mode at the time of the test drive.

18. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

If you're talking about the base seats giving you a backache, then try to engage the lumbar support. The lever is on the side of the seat back, on the inside edge. It makes a world of difference in comfort.

19. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

No, the Recaros. The base seats in my '11 never caused any problems at all. The Recaros need adjustable lumbar IMHO.

20. wash

wash Active Member

If the seat back needs a different shape, you could make a pad to change it rather than an entirely new car.

So far I've only gone 2.5 hours but that was fine on my back.

21. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I'm going to try and spend a half-hour or so fiddling with the seat height, rake and distance along with the steering wheel to see if I can find a combination that works. I'm also hoping that as I drive the car the seats might soften up some. If all that fails a trip to the upholstery shop is probably in order.