Is the Recaro package worth it?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Interior Upgrades' started by breon, Sep 10, 2013.

1. eRic

eRic Active Member

I'm not fat. I'm big boned and got base seats in my Fiesta ST after ride & driving in Fiesta ST with and without Recaro seats.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I wouldn't count on the seats softening. They're designed to be firm and will stay substantially the same. Even the base ST seats are much more firm than the non-ST Fiestas
    SpaceFish likes this.
  4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Well the Recaros on my old Audi 90 weren't too stiff but then it had 130k on it when I bought it so I might have to be patient and wait a while :).
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I felt the same way, but after a few days I found a comfortable position. I do wind up reclining more in this car than in others (I usually sit pretty upright) but it made all the difference.
  6. joe@2j-racing

joe@2j-racing Active Member

I've had EVOs with Recaros and the X is by far the most comfortable and wider by 2" or so. The FiST Recaro is tighter and took my about 5mins to get the seating postion, wheel rake and height just right. Before you bring it back, spend some time getting acclimated with the seat height and rake then play with the wheel position. Recaro makes some of the best seats in the world for a reason. Now that mine are set, I love getting in to the car and tossing it around. You'll be surprised at the level of grip the chassis has and you'll want a seat that holds you instead of using your knees and forearms to control your lateral movement.
  7. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

The heated seats helped today when it was 30 degrees. Wife loved it to
  8. wash

wash Active Member

Staying with Ford, the Mustang Recaros seem to be wider and available through FRPP but I'm not sure if its an easy retrofit or even possible.

I just wish the stock Recaro seat back was an inch or two wider. One passenger had a similar opinion.
  9. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I drove 4.5 hours to buy my car and was a little concerned about the long drive home after doing a lot of reading about the Recaro equipped FiST. I am 6'1" and 190 lbs. with a 34" waist. The seats are just right for me and were very comfortable even at the end of the long drive. I do feel like I am sitting a little high in the car. I wish the seats went a little lower, but maybe that's just being used to my miata. The heated seat addition was pretty much a must for me too ... well at least for my girlfriend! I know I will like the heated mirrors up here in the frozen/snowy area of northwest PA. I plan to autocross the car and I know the Recaro seats will help greatly there. For me it was definitely worth the investment. For wider people or people with shorter legs I can definitely see where the seat would be tight or the thigh bolster would get in the way.
  10. takuarc

takuarc Member

Been in a 208gti seats (also recaros I think) and they are surely no where near as comfy as the st recaros. The st recaros hugs much tighter and more comfortable.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
  11. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

I have put 4000kms on the car now in one week and me and my wife love the recaro seats
  12. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Wow I thought my 1300 miles in less than a week was bad lol I love the recaro seats I honestly don't have back pain and I was driving over 160 miles a day. It's 30 degrees here in the mornings and the seat warms up before the car it's amazing
  13. ST_Rocky

ST_Rocky Member

I can sum the answer up real easy:

Due to vandalism, I just dropped my car off at the body shop. Enterprise gave me a new VW Jetta for a rental. It has leather, or leatherette seats. VW stock seats are way better than any standard Ford seats. Especially Fiesta seats. Just getting in the car, and I missed my Recaro seat instantly! In only a few weeks of having the ST with Recaros, I am SPOILED! I don't think I will ever be able to sit in any other seat again.

So anyone asking if they are worth it - are you truly wondering if they will fit you? Or are you trying to justify to yourself because you don't want to pay the extra cost? It doesn't really add that much extra cash to the monthly. And you'll be kicking yourself later for not getting them! They ARE so worth it. They are part of the reason I got the ST. All my other cars, I either just missed the models that had them (MKIV R32 had, the MKV did not), or I spent $$$$ to install a Cobra Missano R seat (my WRX, then went into my STi, but too wide for my R32, argh!). And going aftermarket is a major PITA, cause nothing ever fits right.

And for the record, I am 58, am near 6' tall, and can weigh between 235-250lbs. So if I can enjoy them, what's your excuse?
    Irsinn likes this.
  14. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

In 2 weekends I put over 3300 miles on the ST, and I am again amazed at how comfortable the seats are. For 4 straight days, I practically lived in the Fiesta while filming a video for the Fiesta Movement and never once had an issue. It takes about a 4 hour drive in my Fiesta SES before I am tired of the seat. A friend of mine helped with filming and brought his Focus ST3 along for the trip. He is a fairly tall and good sized person and loves the Recaro seats in his Focus. They are the exact same seat, except for the mounting points and his are wrapped in leather.

As for the reports that the non Recaro ST seats are better than stock Fiesta seats, they are not. They are the exact same seat, except with different covers. The only "sport" part of the seat are the covers, which look good, but offer no more support since the foam is exactly the same as the regular Fiesta.
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

l am not trying to fool anyone.
    I am large in girth.
    Gravity impaired.
    OK, let's face it, I'm FAT.
    In all of my years of owning cars, these have got to be the most comfortable seats I have ever had.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Firesail, ST_Rocky and Sil3nt611 like this.
  16. coffeeslug

coffeeslug New Member

I think they are probably worth it. I'm cheap though, and I wanted cheap speed. I might have considered some other cars if I wanted to load this one up with options. That said, I find the stock seats comfortable for me 6'3' 225.
  17. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Absolutely worth it. Honestly there's no other option on the car that I would get instead of them and I would not have bought the car without them. I test drove one with and one without, the difference is incredible. I have some back issues, nothing serious really but lots of chaes and pains left over from a really bad accident years ago. Coming from VWs I'm used for comfortable and supportive seats in my cars that take good care of my back. The Fiesta ST standard seats are just terrible, very uncomfortable and very little support. To me the stock seats were seriously bad enough to be a total deal breaker, they felt very cheap and poorly designed. My back hurt from them after a 15 minute test drive.

The Recaros on the other hand are just superb. They really hug you and provide great support in all the right areas. I really can't say enough about how much better they make the car feel because they make sure that you're in a good, comfortable position to drive. Initially i didn't have the upgrade package built into my budget at all but I made sure I figured it out because they're just exceptional, worth every penny. My back is really happy that I got them too.
    ST_Rocky likes this.
  18. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Just to bring this thread full circle after 1300 miles the seats feel great. My only issue is that if I have a thick jacket I need to take it off or things are too snug. Otherwise they are great.
    ST_Rocky likes this.
  19. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Agreed. I have just over 1000 miles on mine and I took an unplanned 4.5 hour trip to help my daughter out yesterday and the seats were fine. I do take my phone holster off my belt because it gets hung up on the bolsters.
  20. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I test drove with and without Recaros and must say I will not buy a FiST without them. Not only they feel good they make this Fabulous car look more than just a toy. It tells people its serious and its not playing :)
  21. TWDM

TWDM Member

Just sat in my recaros a few days ago and I must say it is very snug to my body. I am by no means big or anything so I can see the problems for anyone that is physically wide. Otherwise if you fit, they are quite comfortable.

My advice is to test them out first for fit.