I've decided to wait...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by brian, Oct 1, 2013.

1. brian

brian Member

After thinking about the coming snows, and how long it would take to order a car, I decided to wait till spring to buy my FiST. Doing this will let me save up a larger down payment, will allow me to drive the car with performance tires a while before swapping tires, and will also let me plan future mods a bit better. I might have a line on a guy for a new innercooler and a nice catch can.

Boys being boys though, I went to the store today, and this followed me home: [​IMG]

A new range plinker! It's a smith & Wesson m&p22 with a Nikon 3-9x40 scope. I can't wait to hit the range this weekend and sight it in!

I wanted to get this too but it just wouldn't fit in the car (that's the excuse I'm giving!): [​IMG] (Barrett 50 cal)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Nice! You must not be living in NY these laws are crazy here..Vote republican lol

4. brian

brian Member

Haha nope! I'm in Ohio. Feeling sorry for all those in upstate ny tho. And I definitely vote progun first, republican second.

The little AR is a 22 though. I'm not sure how that plays into your new laws (mag bans and whatnot).

5. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Lol yup I'm upstate (sort of) and 22 is banned it's a joke

6. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

I'm an original upstate NY'er that moved out west for school and never went back. I feel sorry for my "brothers" behind enemy lines.

AR prices are dropping like crazy. Saw and smith & wesson M&P15 listed for $615 today w/ free shipping to your FFL!!

7. brian

brian Member

Yea! Looks like lowers are coming back too. Now is a good time to start looking again. If I wasn't saving for the ST, I'd be doing some more shopping for sure! I need a ar-10 next!

8. brian

brian Member

[​IMG] Since I had the day off, and no ST to drive around in/detail yet, I headed to the range with the new plinker! This little gun is FUN!

moshaholic2 likes this.
  9. moshaholic2

.22lr are always fun (when you can actually find some ammo these days!)

Some of my babies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. wash

wash Active Member

I'm making kind of a forever AK, modeled after an AMD 63 with polymer stock, AMD 65 pistol grips, East German .223 barrel (chrome lined), Yugo mags, some parts from a Bulgarian AK74, Romanian RPK rear trunnion, Russian Saiga gas tube and a 1.5mm flat.

I'm planning black plastic on black cerakote.

An AK Darth Vader could love with a durable finish and never a steel case or corrosive primer to mess it up.

I just need to actually finish it.

11. brian

brian Member

Nice! Sadly, I'm not well versed n the AK platform. I went looking for one last November, ended up with a Sig P380. I really like the AK once you tweak them a little bit, but the wasr10's you see in the stores don't do much for me. This one is cool![​IMG]

12. wash

wash Active Member

You could study for weeks and not be well versed.

Mine is just an exercise in cobbling together an AK piece by piece in a unique configuration which combines some nice features in a unified theme that plays to the strengths of the platform.

Instead of making a swiss army knife or buying the latest and greatest overpriced parts from Russia, I simplify, smooth some edges and reference the classics.

13. moshaholic2

Thats an SGL21-94 based AK104 clone with an NFA tax stamp. It's chambered in the classic 7.62x39mm (vs. the more modern 5.45x39mm)

Russian stuff like Brian said has a premium price attached them. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are better than Bulgarian, Polish etc etc.

Kind of like a Colt AR has a higher price than bushmaster etc but they arent necessarily "Better" either.

You're mostly paying for the name and that they are built in the same factory as the military hardware.

I chose to collect mainly Russian stuff as there are just too damn many manufacturers and variations to have them all. So I just focused on one manufacturer and time period.

14. brian

brian Member

what makes that gun require the tax stamp? lack of "american made" parts?

15. moshaholic2

11" barrel (short barrel rifle)

brian likes this.