Largest tire on stock rims?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by EvoNiner, Oct 13, 2013.

1. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

So I skimmed over most of the threads, unless I literally did not read it right, I didn't think we had an answer on how wide of tire can fit in the wheel wells that won't rub.

I'm wondering because I'm hoping to fit some 225/45/17 Dunlop ZII's under my car and I'm not sure the 3/4 of an inch taller and wider tire would fit. Any input FiST community?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Removed

Removed Guest

That would be pushing it, if they did fit.
  4. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

I know... I can get them in a 215/40/17 that is not that much of a difference but... I want more grip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Pokey likes this.
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Once I get a car I'll have to see .. I have that exact size DZll in the garage on some 17-7 inch 5-100 rims so it may be a bit till I test fit them on my ford rims .
  6. ST_Rocky

ST_Rocky Member

I sure want to know as well, for when I can AutoX again. I loved the Z1's on my old STi and R32. As they are no longer, then the Z11 is the one of interest.

Falken have the stock size in their AutoX tire, the RT615. Both 205/40/17 and 215/40/17.
  7. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

I'm going to buy the Dz11 in 215/40/17 in a few weeks. Guy at TR said they are "approved" and shouldn't be a problem. He also said 225's are "approved" but I can't imagine they would fit with that wide of a section width. I measured slightly less than half in. from sidewall to strut.
    pelotonracer2 likes this.
  8. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

I got a set of 215/40-17s Dunlop Direzza D2s on the way for my 17x7.5 wheels. I've heard they are noticeably stickier than the stock tires. Lets hope so because I already have a serious traction issue in 1st and 2nd gears. LOL :meh:
    EvoNiner likes this.
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Check with BRGT350's threads. I think he test fitted larger tires earlier this year.

BTW, it's not the strut clearance, it's the front and rear wheel well clearance that's the sticker...
  10. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

What is the offset on your 7.5s?
    Well, coming from an Evo w/ 275s I'm accustomed to rubbing at full lock-lol
  11. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

Mine are 42 offset which is pretty near perfect for a 7.5" wide wheel for the FiST.
  12. limbo

limbo Active Member

It will still be a huge difference. Z2s are so much stickier than the stock tires.
    OlschlagerB likes this.
  13. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

I was thinking RS3's because I love them on my evo, but I also have heard great things about the ZII's. The original star specs were great, but not near as sticky as the RS3's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

If you're an RS3 fan, check out the BFG Rival. It's quickly replacing the Hankook as the tire of choice in DOT-legal track circles. GRM did a comparison test in the last issue and the Rival was the clear victor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    EvoNiner likes this.
  15. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

My brother has Rivals on his FoST. Lots of grip but they get greasy after 5-6 laps on the big track. He likes them better for autox!
    EvoNiner likes this.
  16. Izzy

Izzy Member

Anyone knows if 215/50/16 fits lowered on Mountune springs? or would 225/45/16 be a better fit?...please....anyone?
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015