Let the Mayhem begin.

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Photos and Media' started by Mayhem, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

What size snow tires are those? I'm debating looking for another set of stock wheels to mount snow tires on or just getting a set of steelies.

BTW, nice to know there is at least one other FiST in Vancouver. I haven't seen another one on the street yet LOL.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. JohnnyCanuck

JohnnyCanuck New Member

Hey Kev, what part if Metro Vancouver are you in?
  4. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

195/50R-16 Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series 3 210 XL

And yeah, I have still not seen any other ST's on the road since I've had mine.
  5. Kevin R

Kevin R Member

I'm right in Vancouver, the Oakridge area. How about you?

I've been running Pirelli snow tires for the last 15 years so will probably go with them again. Just not sure which size wheels to run, 90% of the time I think 17's with stock sized rubber would be best around here since it's just wet.

If I see a green FiST around there's a good chance it'll be you LOL. Mine is orange with grey wheels.
  6. JohnnyCanuck

JohnnyCanuck New Member

Coquitlam. I'll see another RR FiST around on the roads here every now and then.

I have the 17" snows that came with the car during the "winter deal" event. They ran just fine and that includes driving up to Cypress for some boarding.
  7. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Well, 3 of my last 5 fill ups have been the best average I have reached so far. I hit 8.9L/100km 3 times... and a little over 10L/100km the other 2 times.. Right now I'm averaging around 9.5L/100km. I am sitting a little over 9K km so far and have had 2 services done.

Have noticed a trend of... I get great numbers on the readout until the last 90KM of the tank, and then it tapers of and I lose over half the estimated distance left in the tank. Generally at fill up it usually estimates just shy of 500km to empty. I usually get closer to 400km with my best being 461 KM.

Is it actually less efficient when the tank is getting lower?

Anyway, no new mods yet. Have been really busy with work... The closest to a mod for me recently is.... My car is a darker/dull shade (Needs a wash bad), and I took a rock chip in the windshield, and a small rock chip on the front end....

Washing is horrible lately, I have to park under these tree's at work. I wash it, and literally within an hour at work my car is covered in tree sap and other nasty crap off the tree's. Frustrating.

Aside from that, still loving driving this little demon. And am grateful for how nimble it is on the road. Saved me from getting ploughed through by a drunk driver last weekend.
  8. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

What's your average speed?

Going into the summer been averaging 7.1l/100km, but that's about 70/30 high/city driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

On the odometer it is showing up as 35 KM/H average... but I have never reset that value since picking it up. The only thing I reset is the trip... which I reset each fill up.

I'd say it's probably accurate. I get caught in the bumper to bumper crawl regularly.

My drive is more like 60/40 City to HWY.

I only use 94 Octane.

I get the impression that people pulling impressive distances to a tank, are driving at much higher speeds than me on average with less bumper sniffing.
    So I am probably doing about as well as could be expected given the crap traffic conditions I'm dealing with.

Honestly, I am quite pleased with 8.9.. If I could maintain that, I'd be content. A massive leap from the 21 L / 100km I was getting in my truck.

But it seems like I've only shaved off a tiny bit between now and when I first picked it up. I started out bouncing between 10-11 L and now I'm juggling between 9-10L after 9000 KM.

Read a few days back in the news that Ford was dishing out compensation for a large number of vehicles for inaccurate fuel efficiency ratings. Looked like the FiST may have made that list? I am wondering how much of a change in their estimates will be/has been advertised.
  10. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

Yah my last average speed was 57km/hr, but I reset it every time I fill up. I've been using Costco 91 and have had consistent fuel mileage. Will try Chevron 94 when I get my Mountune MP215 kit installed. Not that I care too much, wonder how this kit will affect mileage?

I looked at the Ford website where it shows cars affected by this change in mileage numbers. The Fiesta ST isn't affected by this change unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  11. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

YEAH !! Mod of the day.... Free of charge.... I finally figured out that stupid rear floor to the lower setting.. hahah !
    Was starting to think people were crazy, telling me there's extra space down there to push the tire. For me, it had literally nothing to do with the tire.... I unlocked it for nothing... It was as far down as it could go... So after locking it back up.... I noticed that I could pull the floor towards me a half inch or so.... Away from the plastic notched pieces in the back that hold it in place... (And were preventing me from flattening it out as the corners of the board were getting stuck under it.

So I pulled it towards me, and then viola!! it dropped into place...

Facepalm and a half.. honestly I only gave it 2 short lived efforts in the past and decided it was not happening/worth the time...
    But came home from work today and decided to give it a sincere effort.... Only to find that I Just had to pull on the board instead of pressing it down and it'd flop into place. Ignoring the tire altogether.

The big gap below the seat though is an eye sore for sure.

Ah, I see.. I wasn't too worried about being included in the payout, I am sure our portion woulda been very low even if it happened. And tbh I am still quite pleased with the price I paid... a few bucks could have gone towards a tuner though!

Yeah, see that 57km/hr avg is pretty significant compared to 35. That would account for the gap I would say. I'm sure it's not my car, just the traffic I'm getting myself stuck in. Driving in quicksand.

You have an MP215 on the way?? That's rad !! You'll have to let me drool over it when it arrives if you ever find yourself closer to Van ! Unfortunately I have a buncha other priorities soo all my funds are going towards things that are not for my car...

I am leaning towards going the cobb route when I get to modding. I've known about them a long time, and I like the crazy deals they have going on sometimes and the lower overall cost. I am going to be an optimist and believe that the cobb products are not going to cause me any major issues that would leave me hanging come warranty time. I also like to stay away from dealerships as often as possible.
    envyist likes this.
  12. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I haven't tried the lower cargo tray position yet. For me I love the default location as I use the void space for my hardhat, safety vest and steel toe boots.

I have the Mountune MP215 kit safely at home. Waiting for Mountune to release it to the dealers so they can officially install it.

I might buy the COBB left hand version of the obdii cable and probably the COBB rear engine mount.

13. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Yeah, I will be lifting it back up when I need the space. I use it for umbrella, steel toes, tools. But for other clean stuff, it's nice to know I can use that extra little bit of space.

Nice ! already have the it waiting hey? Yeah, if you're going the Mountune route, definitely wait for them to finalize all the details so that you get your coverage.

I am dying to get my mods, but it has to be worse for you having it sitting there waiting to be unwrapped ! That's like being a kid and seeing the presents under the tree 11 months before Christmas!
  14. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

Yes it is getting a bit long in tooth waiting. Of course I took everything out of the box to check it out and stuff. Even updated the firmware on it with the computer. Figure there's no harm in doing that since I'm not actually installing it in the car. Who knows it could be another month or longer,

15. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Well, haven't updated or done anything in a while. But yesterday I finally got around to plastidipping my stock wheels. Just finished putting them on and trained the sensors right now.

Pretty happy with the result vs cost. And turned out pretty decent I think for my first time plastidipping anything. I prefer it much more than the stock look, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than new wheels for the time being. Should hold me over for a little while.

Wheels prepared for dip

And mounted.

Have never used plastidip before. I definitely learned a lot during the process, and will definitely do better the next time I do it. But overall I was pretty pleased with how it turned out. I couldn't stand the stock wheels before... But like them a lot more now that they are dipped.

I did 4.5 coats and used up 4 cans. I would have used maybe 3.5 cans if not for trying to repair a blemish I left because.... a dog hair fell into the wet dip and without thinking I reached down to grab it... left some nice finger marks... so I used up some extra dip smoothing that out. I didn't wanna go buy more dip so I didn't want to redo that wheel.

Knowing what I know now after having messed with the dip a little. I am pretty sure I could get away with 3 cans for 4 wheels.
    That said I'd probably still use 4 cans. Reason being... the dip had a tendency to spit a little bit when it got near empty... Which compromises the smooth surface at times.

I'd rather use a single can per wheel and never reach that empty point for smoother delivery of the dip.

Anyway.. worth the 30 bucks.
  16. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Oh.. I didn't bother using the card method... and the excess dip came off in one piece around the tire. I made sure to overspray enough so that it peeled easy. I haven't decided if I will pull the dip off the center caps yet... And I left the lugs un-dipped intentionally.
  17. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I am going to do the same soon... I keep rashing my wheels and they are starting to look pretty lame.