Login issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mayhem, Oct 21, 2013.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

For the last two weeks I was unable to even see this site intermittently.
    I have since replaced my modem/gateway and that seems to have stabilized.
    However I can now log in with both IE and Chrome but can not post with IE.
    The text box comes up but no way to enter text.
    In addition with both IE and Chrome, after I log in I can go to a thread but then when moving to another thread I get logged out.
    Once logged in for the second time I seen to stay logged in.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WRC Fan

WRC Fan Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the additional info Dave. That definitely sounds like a caching issue in your browser(s).

I would:

1. Log out.
    2. clear your caches.
    3. delete ALL cookies that are associate with this site.
    4. Re-log in.

Depending on you setup and settings, caches can be peskily persistent. You may think you've cleared them, but items are still hanging around.

Here is a site that provides some advance cache clearing info:

4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

OK, I have done all of that again.
    I get the same results as I posted above.

I am going to have lunch and then install another MOD on my car (maybe two).

5. WRC Fan

The only other thing would be that your browser(s) are somehow set to expire the cookies sent by this site.

The forum software uses cookies to know you are you, and to keep you logged in.

Also, it may bear repeating, but make sure you check "STAY LOGGED IN" next to the Log in button.
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

MIne is the same as Dave but I cant even load the site most times it just give a server or gateway timed out or isn't responding. and if I do get in after a few jumps tween posts it loses server again and posts a blank screen with a notice of gateway or server not responding... Ie or Chrome
    ..Sometimes safari on my phone too but that's pretty good at getting through.. even if I switch PC's to a never used before laptop I had to go online via our mobile device rather than our cable company.. and it only happens to this site FF is good as well as all other gearhead sites ... hmmmmm
  7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I have found ways to work around these issues so you can't get rid of me that easily. :p
    I should also say that any and all the issues I am having started happening before any changes were made to this computer.

I use a software called History Kill (have been for years), all history, caches, and cookies are deleted on exit.
    I just did a search of this computer for any cookies.
    I did find some VERY old ones and I deleted them.
    I even deleted photos of my DOG named COOKIE, I did save them on a flash drive.

It still works the same.

8. WRC Fan

Another question, WHEN did this start happening for you guys?
  9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I think it all started about 10/10
    I had the same problems as RodMoe until I replaced my Gateway.

10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes about the same time frame as Dave only I didn't get to do as many mods yet ... stupid ice and snow ! LOL
  11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Someone has to live where that stuff is.
    If we all lived in Southern California, the world would tip over.

RodMoe likes this.
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

LMAO now that's funny sheet right there :) :biglaugh::biglaugh:
  13. WRC Fan

A little more advanced, but you might trying flushing your DNS cache from your PC AND your network router.
  14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

That was all done before the router was replaced.
    I even had an IT professional look at everything.
    Still couldn't fix it but he did come up with another work around.

15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

For my I can log in I just sometime go to refresh or open the site the first time and it gets a gateway error and wont load the site at first .. Then if I am browsing I go to move to the next post or thread and it returns a gateway error and wont load the page like today it happened once I backed out of Ie and grabbed a cup of coffee came back and opened up the site in IExplorer and it loaded right away sometimes I can go hours or all day without being able to see the site at all via my cable yet I can use the mobile access we have and get on that way ... and there was a few days last week even my phone wouldn't work but that might have been WiFi's here at home but it happened when I was not here too on my phone last week so IDK whats going on.. But I can log in IF I can reach the site/Page..
  16. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Did you try resetting your gateway?
    There should be a button on the back, hold it in until all the lights go out.
    When it all comes back, restart your computer.

17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I have unplugged it and the cable modem a few times but ill look for a button as well now today its working fine so far maybe its a cable thing by me IDK
  18. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Lookie here,
    I can't get mine to work and I am giving advice.:eek:

The funny thing is, he's going to do it. o_O

19. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Mine started working yesterday afternoon. And is still currently working.

To describe the issue I experience when it is happening..

I can get to the site no problem, and I can read posts and everything. But I am limited to whatever limitations guests are limited to. I can type in my login info and all it does is reload the page, without logging me in.
  20. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I've been having the problem for several weeks on my work computer, primarily. For a while, I thought it was network blocking from them, but it's been sporadic, so that can't be it. I've only had it at home twice, but at work, I sometimesI can see the site until I try to log in, and after that it just refuses to load with a "no response from the server" error.

I've got Cox at home, and god only knows who at my workplace. It's a HUGE company.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  21. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This is screwy.
    To all with problems, what is your ISP?
    Mine is AT&T.