Manual Transmission Fluid: Motul 300 Gear oil! (handy spec chart too)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 26, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

In preparation for my next track day at Big Willow, I decided to switch out the manual transmission fluid for something slicker: Motul 300 75w90!

I've been impressed with all Motul fluids in the past, so I figured this wasn't much of a gamble. This in conjunction with my new short shifter should help me select the right gear at speed! :)

Only about 1.5 quarts drains out; note that the manual calls for 1.8 quarts (or 1.7 liters).

I found a handy PDF online and have clipped a section here for reference:

upload_2014-3-26_13-56-23.png

Jaytech likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. smatty

smatty Member

Which short shifter did you go with?

4. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Let me know how this feels because i am a motul distributor; might make a great How-To!

In addition, I can make it available as a service for anyone not wanting to do it themselves.

Jaytech likes this.
  5. McRib 1s Back

Mountune.

6. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Is there another besides mountune?

7. McRib 1s Back

I think feedback from the track will be telling. A couple weekends ago I missed third a couple times. It was odd, it's the only time I've done that in the FiST (road or track). I might have been a bit lazy and really started to focus on that 2-3 shift, and it didn't happen again. Like we were discussing in the other thread, the throw was a bit long. Maybe this is a big upgrade! :)

8. McRib 1s Back

I think 2J Racing is coming out with one (and believe a couple people are testing it now). It's a pretty simple solution. The craftsmanship for the Mountune part is very nice.

9. McRib 1s Back

For street driving, I can already tell it's a nice change. The engagement is more precise, and the throw is modestly shorter. Most importantly, it didn't create a weird notchy feeling. It glides home into third, and I think the fluid gets some credit here. I did both at once, of course.

I've only driven several miles while bedding my new brake pads.

10. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Is there any aftermarket trans oil that meets Ford's spec for these cars? It's weird that they specify a dual clutch fluid...

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Royal Purple says their Synchromax Does data Sheet linky

They (Ford) used the same fluid in the 6 spd manual transmission Mustang in 2011 not sure if they still do or not..
    I tried the RedLine Stuff at the time and it didn't do much better shifting wise..
    Now the RedLine site not even listing anything for the FiST ( and this is what they say about the Mustang 6 spd Manual)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    ronnie karlen likes this.
  12. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Interesting. I looked to see if Redline had anything comparable to the Synchromax but came up with nothing.

13. wash

wash Active Member

A friend of mine swears by Amsoil for gearboxes.

I don't know if they have anything approved but its another place to look.

14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

AMSOIL is Great if you can find it but this is what their online list says
    Weird they list no motor oil yet either

ronnie karlen likes this.
  15. wash

wash Active Member

I'm starting to wonder if the transmission was designed to work with the dual clutch fluid or to work despite it.

According to Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

The Ford dual clutch transmissions have mostly used wet clutches which means the oil probably has some friction modifier in it like the gear oil you use in a clutch type positraction diff.

Since we have an electronic (open) diff and a dry clutch, the dual clutch oil might just be what they want to put in everything or maybe everything Getrag.

Any way, I think dual clutch oil is a weird choice...

16. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

The fiesta DCT is dry clutch, not sure about the focus.

17. wash

wash Active Member

Yeah, but the same oil...

18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

19. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

Dry clutches have character...

Sent via poles, wires and telegraph 2.

20. McRib 1s Back

Didn't you mean "...have chatter"? I hate that sound on a Ducati. :)

captainmorbid likes this.
  21. McRib 1s Back

This setup was a very nice change at Big Willow. It basically made gear shifting a non-event. It's shorter throwing, slicker shifting, and worked without any issues. This is a very easy recommendation -- it's cheap and easy! Do it.

Also, when you re-install the shifter cable, make sure it's firmly seated on top. I heard they can pop off. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard it can happen. If it happens, I heard you can pop it back on again in like two minutes. ;)