Manual Transmission Fluid: Motul 300 Gear oil! (handy spec chart too)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 26, 2014.

1. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Anything new to report on the Motul in the gearbox? I'm genuinely curious as to the long-ish term effects of using something other than the dual clutch nonsense that Ford specs. I'm getting close to my preferred mileage interval for dropping the factory fill gearbox oil and being able to run Redline in my box without fear of destroying synchros or lunching bearings would make me a happy camper indeed.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. mkeperson

mkeperson Member

This has been discussed in several threads online. To the best of my knowledge, the only transmission fluids that specifically state that they meet Ford spec WSS-M2C200-D2 are the specified Motorcraft product and Castrol's Syntrans FE75 (not presently imported into the US). This is a single weight product with multiple additives.

Also of note, there are several discrepancies in Ford's documentation about how much transmission fluid is required. Of note, the service manual does not state a volume but advises to add transmission fluid until the level is 20mm below the fill hole.
  4. I would be kinda surprised if there were friction modifiers in Ford wet clutch transmissions. Motorcycles manufacturers that use wet clutches specifically recommend against friction modifiers in the engine/transmission oil. In a dry clutch setup it would not matter if the oil had friction modifiers as the clutches would not be running in it.
  5. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It works great for me -- it's just all around a better setup. YMMVG, but I'm comfortable recommending this setup to anyone here.
    hyatt likes this.
  6. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Anything new to report? I picked up some Gear 300 yesterday. Planning on doing the swap next week.
  7. McRib 1s Back

Do it. You'll be happy with it. :)
  8. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I'd like to do this changeover, but like a few others I'm still unsure given the odd spec factory fill.
  9. McRib 1s Back

That's fair, but there really isn't anything special going on here. I only use my car on the track, or for short intense "test sessions", and it's just been an improvement all around.

Think of it this way -- if you don't have an issue with how it shifts, you don't need this. In 30K miles, you might change your mind. This will be waiting for you. :)

Also, there's no way anyone at Ford will ever tell you that they've detected unauthorized fluid -- and Sync won't tell them either! ;)
    BlackBird likes this.
  10. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I'd like to give it a shot, especially since I do have intentions to autoX the car and it does get driven pretty hard when not in commuter mode.
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Just did the Motul fluid swap in my Trans and am very happy with the initial restults seems to have made the 1-2 clunk go away and all shifts smoother over all. Remember I have the Mountune Quick Shift and the Boomba shifter plate bushings. So again YMMV
    EZ to do too all you need is the correct Allen wrench and a pail, funnel and a bit of hose for refill. Drain is on drivers side lower and fill is on the front of the Trans case. A pump could be used also to refill the 1.67 liters of fluid required.
  12. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

I find the idea of the shifter plate bushes interesting. How difficult were they to put in? Did they make any real difference to shift feel?
  13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

not hard to install you just have to take a few parts off to get to them.

Linky to install thread

And yes I noticed the feel as being a more exact shift a smidge less wobble feel in the shifter I guess too. Now I am running the quick shift by Mountune and really like how all three things are working together. I do have a heavier Steeda Shift knob that sits a lil tallter too so It helps also.
    RDgolfer likes this.
  14. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Amazing, I'll probably pick those up! One more question: what size hex key socket do I need for the trans drain/fill plugs? I'm dropping the motor oil and the gearbox oil and replacing them with Redline 5w20 and the Motul Gear 300 and I need to make sure I have all the tools. Thanks!
  15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I'll check when I get home but it was like 1/4-3/8 or the metric version of said tool
  16. McRib 1s Back

Yep, that's close -- but it's definitely metric. 13mm (closer to 5/16"), I do believe.
  17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

You are close 8mm fit to a Tee so 5/16 would fit too I bet
  18. McRib 1s Back

Thanks for double-checking that. Please disregard the 13mm comment (I was thinking about shaft/bolt size versus head). Yes, 8MM or 5/16th it is. I've since checked, and the manual calls it 8mm.
    RodMoe likes this.
  19. boost rooster

boost rooster New Member

Rodmoe, you mentioned the 1-2 clunk. My transmission does this also and it gets on my nerves, I notice it more with 23k on it. Has anyone else experienced this. If so, hopefully changing fluids gets rid of it like in rodmoe's
  20. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Yes, mine also does it and I also have 23K on it.
  21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I can not say for sure it will help ALL but it did help smooth out mine more than I would have thought Thanks to McRib for testing this and posting .. Plus he sent me a link in a PM to the stuff on amazon so talk about being spoon fed :) lol
    BlackBird likes this.