Manual Transmission Fluid: Motul 300 Gear oil! (handy spec chart too)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Maintenance' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 26, 2014.

1. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

So the trans drain and fill plugs are definitely an 8mm hex key? I need to stop by the parts store on the way to the shop today I guess.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Sekred

Sekred Active Member

4. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Ha, very cool -- I'm glad this worked out for you. It's always rough when you recommend something that worked for you, only to hear why it wasn't so great for the them. Stuff like that gets magnified online, it seems. Anyhow, that's why I just wanted to lay it out there without too much enthusiasm.

As a long-term update, it seems to get better with use. I have to say that "resetting neutral" by removing the outboard side cable mount (under the hood) from the shifter cable, and placing the selector in 4th, resulted in a nice change, too. You'd be surprised how a little tweak here and there can pay off.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Cool I 'll have to do that again sometime when I have it opened up again :)

6. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

So, Red Line Oil just announced a DCTF fluid that meets ford spec M2C-936-A which isn't the spec our manual calls for. I wonder if it might be worth trying out as being slightly closer in spec than the Gear 300? Thoughts?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=146&pcid=9

7. McRib 1s Back

Try it and let us know! :)

Those of us that used the "ordinary" stuff described here report being happy. I'm still happy with it, but log far fewer street miles than anyone here.

8. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

I have Red Line sending me a couple quarts for evaluation. I'll see if I can get a shop to throw that in for me when they do my COBB rear motor mount in anticipation of my track day this Sunday.

9. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

So, thus far, after about a week of normal driving and a track day at Streets of Willow, I can say that the Red Line DCTF is awesome. My transmission shifts much smoother than it did even when brand new. The DCTF meets a Ford dual-clutch spec, though not our specific one. That said, it seems to be about the same viscosity etc, as what came out of the car. Obviously, your mileage may vary, but I'd recommend this. Also, full disclosure: I bugged Red Line to give me a couple bottles to try, they sent them to me for free, but I'm not being compensated in any other way by them. FYI. Also, the COBB mount is awesome.

Firesail likes this.
  10. McRib 1s Back

That's very cool. I'm betting you'd enjoy most, if not all of that same benefit with the "normal stuff", too. Since it's available, I'll give it a shot next time I do this work. For those who have not done it, why not start here! Thanks for sharing!

11. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Yeah I don't think there is necessarily a huge cost discrepancy between the DCTF and the Motul Gear 300. We'll see how it does with some more time/miles. So far though, I'm very happy with it.

12. felopr

felopr New Member

13. Neeqness

Neeqness Member

I've been considering castrol syntrax gear oil rated gl-5 or the RP synchromax for manual tranny. Have any of you any experience with either fluids?

Sent using Tapatalk

14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Really Motul DCTF is all you need. Have used it a year now with a couple hundred autocross and rallycross runs and still feels great...