Measuring sessions have begun

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by WRC Fan, Aug 21, 2013.

1. WRC Fan

WRC Fan Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm. Let's see what we can upgrade. FSWerks has their car in the air and are taking notes!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    aborbs87 likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

Need a skidplate!
  4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I will be contacting Wilwood about bigger brakes, front and rear.

5. WRC Fan

WRC Fan Administrator Staff Member

Do you plan on tracking the car? If not, you may not need them. The brakes on this car are fantastic. Probably one of the standout features when I drove it. Even with occasional track day, if you're an advanced driver, you may look at upgrading the pads. And, if someone comes up with a clean way to integrate some brake cooling, that would make a killer setup.

During the shakedown phase, the test drivers lapped VIR repeatedly and the FiST is very resistant to brake fade. Even when they do start to overheat, one cool down lap and reportedly they were ready for more. This is in contrast to the FoST, which tends to crush the pad material a bit when overheated leading to the pedal never quite coming back 100% w/o bleeding. And the FoST is a great car, don't get me wrong. It's just that the FiST is the more true, driver-focused of the two IMO.

Now, for those that plan on doing extensive engine mods (i.e. carrying more speed on track) then larger brakes may be on the menu. But, I think even with some ECU tuning, and a few bolt-ons, the brakes are up to the task as is.
    Ataru likes this.
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I put bigger brakes on my current 2011 Fiesta, including rear disk.
    The rotors both front & rear were larger than what the ST comes with.
    So the ST will actually a step back from what I had.
    I also drive mountain/canyon roads for fun.

7. wash

wash Active Member

The kits out there don't use Wilwood's best calipers or the best rotors in my opinion.

I'm going to see if I can cook up something better.

Mountune has an Alcon kit to consider also.
  8. wash

wash Active Member

Could you photograph the oil filter area?

I would like to see if a bigger filter can fit without causing problems.
  9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Is the Car engine/front underbelly open like that or do they have all the aero plate off for inspection ?
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I don't plan to buy any kit.
    I was going to go to Wilwood and see what they can do for me.
    I may just do my own big brakes using the OEM calipers.

11. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

That's the way the car comes.
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Thank you now pleaz make so brake ducts that integrate with the fog lights ;)
  13. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I have a great collection of underbody pics here:

Fiesta ST chassis detail 057
    by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

Dave, I put the PumaSpeed/SVT Focus 300mm brakes on my Fiesta and they can't even come close to the stopping power of the ST. Of course, I am running stock pads on my 2011 compared to the ST specific pads on the ST. The OE Fiesta pads started to fade almost right away on track, while the ST pads lasted many sessions with minor fade. The ST booster/master cylinder are also vastly better than the regular Fiesta. The ST acts more like the EU Fiesta in terms of braking, which means it kicks ass. Much like the EU Fiesta brakes, they make a lot of dust. Hawk HP+ kind of dust.

I am not sure of this, but the transmission mount seems to have much stiffer rubber bushings than the stock Fiesta has. I notice very little engine movement on shifts. I upgraded to the Steeda mount on my 2011 and the ST seems to have a mount stiffness that is about halfway between regular Fiesta and the softer option from Steeda. It is stiff, but doesn't shake the car at idle.

One thing I would like different on the ST is more sound from the wastegate when I let off the throttle. It makes more noise on the Fiesta ST than the Focus ST, but could use more. I am afraid of doing intake or exhaust and drowning out what little wastegate sound there is.

What does the Fiesta ST need badly? A shorter shifter with shorter throws.
    rempwnz likes this.
  14. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

Can't wait to start seeing upgrades for these cars