Mishap at dealership with mounting snow tires on stock rims

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by 2XIPA, Nov 13, 2013.

1. 2XIPA

2XIPA New Member

When I bought my FiST, I had a set of blizzaks thrown in to sweeten the deal. The downside was that they were sized to fit the stock rims. I figured whatever, I didn't have more than what I paid to buy a set of tires/rims just for winter. I just took in my car yesterday to get the snow tires mounted/balanced. Service was fine, I even got a discount on the service from my dealer.

I drive the car home and park. First thing I notice when I get out of the car, a chunk is missing out of the rim on the front driver side rim. It's not huge, but to me it totally pissed me off because I am extremely anal about washing/waxing my car and I don't want dings, dents, scratches in my car unless it was my fault. The guy at the dealer said it's difficult to mount low profile snow tires, which I understand. But it's a dealership and I cannot be the first person to mount low profile snow tires on stock rims on a vehicle.

I know for a fact this damage was not my fault since I gave the car a thorough wash and wax (including rims) over the weekend and the car was pretty much still in perfect condition. Also, I highly doubt road debris could cause that kind of damage because the paint is chipped down a few layers, which you can see in the pick. Another reason why I'm mad is that I have the painted wheels which were an extra $450 or so added to the price of the car.

Anyway, what are thoughts/opinions on the matter? Has this happened to anyone else? I am in contact with the dealer and the service manager says he wants to handle the matter personally. He has seen the pictures, which are posted below. Honestly, I don't just want a refund for the service, I want a whole new rim since I will notice the damage every time I see my car, but who knows if the dealer is willing to do that. I do know that I've learned my lesson and next winter when I hopefully have more money I am going to sell my blizzaks and buy a set of tire/rims just for winter.

PS I know it's small

Attached Files:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

I used to be a service manager and I can tell you that was done when that tire was mounted. My suggestion would be is find out what their claims process is. Every dealership has insurance for such things and there is a damage claims process for such occurrences, so I would most certainly get the ball rolling on that. I would definitely be demanding a new rim myself. I mounted low profile tires many times and never had that problem. There are certain precautions that can be taken that would prevent that damage that were obviously not taken. The worst part of mounting a low profile tire is getting the bead to seat on the rim, other than that I can tell you from experience that there is no reason why that rim should be damaged like that other than someone was pretty careless.

4. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

I noticed a similar chip on one of my wheels just after I took delivery of the car. Ford would not cover the repair because they say it was impact damage,and not an actual defect with the wheel. The dealer agreed to have the wheel repaired at their expense .IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/14/2y9yjabe.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. 2XIPA

2XIPA New Member

Thanks for the input. I just talked with the service manager again and they are ordering me a new rim. I didn't even have to argue for one, the guy just said one is on the way. Glad it got resolved that way.

Whether I go back to the dealer in the spring to mount the summer tires is another issue...

6. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

The dealer that replaced the tires on the Fiesta Movement ST damaged all 4 wheels and rounded off the lug nuts. The damage looks a lot like what happend on mine when the tires were mounted. Another dealer knicked up 4 of my wife's 19" Escape wheels when doing a rotation, and then said that I did it. In the end, the one dealer fixed the Escape wheels. I have only a few people on the planet who I trust with my wheels, and none are at dealers.

7. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

Rounding off lug nuts is a really rookie mistake. The dealer of all places should take a little more pride in what they do. I've never had any problems with my dealer I just can't believe a dealer would allow that kind of stuff to happen and then blame the customer. That's horrible business.

8. BRGT350

The dealer who knicked the Escape wheels had them repaired and did a wonderful job! If the ST was mine, the wheels would surely be getting fixed and lugnuts replaced.

9. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

I just had my winter tires installed on the stock wheels at a shop that's owned by family friends. Got the car home, was looking around and sure enough I saw some damage. It looked like a little crack or scratch so I touched it. A perfect flake of paint fell off the area. I made one of the most awkward phone calls to the shop owner, and I simply told him the situation. He insured me that all their installation machines are plastic and very safe. So my thoughts are that the paint was just defective (they did a sh*t job at factory), and flaked off due to the pressure during installation? I was told I can get the stock tires back on and make a claim on the wheel. I'm just dumbfounded with this entire thing. Anyone have some suggestions to help me our?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388443858.199502.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jariten

jariten Member

Uh... That's almost definitely damage due to the installation. If there was another sign that the paint was bad elsewhere on the same wheel then maybe you'd have a factory claim.

Personally if it were a friend's shop I'd just shrug it off if they weren't jumping to fix it. They'll eventually get scratches from rocks, curbs, potholes or whatever and I'd rather not have a friendship become awkward over something so minor.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

11. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

I would tend to agree. That it's most likely installation damage and that it's not worth losing a friend over. If it were me I'd be searching for touch up paint and just do the best fix you can. Chances are you are the only person that will ever notice that it has been touched up. I remember selling my SVT Focus several years ago and the car was almost perfect but had one little dent. The buyer searched the car over and finally put his hands up in the air. So I showed him where it was. He couldn't have cared less.

12. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

When I picked up my PB FiST for the first time it was near closing time at the dealership and dark outside. After driving the car literally 1 block to a restaurant I noticed one of the wheels had a similar chip. I emailed my salesman about it and the dealership had the wheel repaired by a wheel repair company. Cost them about $200 to fix. They removed the tire and filled the chip area with some sort of filler then repainted the entire wheel. Can't tell there was ever any damage done to wheel.

If its important enough to you I would pull you friend and aside and say even if the tire machine has all plastic parts if you apply enough pressure up against the wheel of course the paint is going to chip. The wheel can be repaired, just a matter of whether your friends tire shop or you want to pay for the repair. Like jariten said you bound to eventually get a ding or two if you hit a big pot hole.

13. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

Geez sounds exaclty like what happened to me with my car lol Nice to have the dealers step-up and take care of the repairs.

14. BRGT350

Yep, that looks like the marks that were all over the ST wheels after the dealer touched them. We had 2 sets of summer tires and a set of winters installed. Each time the car went in, more marks like the one above showed up.

15. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I wonder if it is worth it to get the painted wheels??? What is the visual diff between painted and unpainted wheels?

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I think they are both painted just one is Rado grey and the other is silver but correct me if I'm wrong here ...

17. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

That sounds right. I believe silver (or Rado) then clear coated. I don't believe anyone makes unpainted aluminum wheels anymore. They oxidate pretty easily without at least a clear coat.

18. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Ahhhhhxidation...yes very true....I am an idiot