Molten Orange Stitched Shift Boot (Orders Now Open) (RedlineGoods)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Interior Upgrades' started by 70sstrat08, Apr 22, 2014.

1. jfdana

jfdana Member

Hello all. The shift boot pictured at the start is the one I installed in my car a few weeks ago (I had sent an iPhone photo to Mike to use on his site). I installed the armrest last week. It also looks great. I'm waiting to take a real photo after I receive my Lathe Werks knob from Chris later this week and can take an honest ultra-wide photo of the interior.

Redline is the real deal and I was able to use their stock-pattern Fiesta ST shift boot and tuck it under the reverse lockout pull and then clip in the plastic hanging bit so they all work and look stock plus. It does take a bit of patience and reverse engineering (iPhone photos along the way help keep things lined up correctly) to take things apart and put them back together, but with a few common tools, anyone can do this install.

I ran social service programs by trade, and have no mechanical training, so if I can do it, you can too!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

I want in on this. I'll take one in MO. Do I just go to the website and order it?

4. jfdana

jfdana Member

I ordered the X pattern, quadruple stitching, red (the brighter red) outside and orange inside. I didn't worry about color matching as there are many colors within the cockpit: orange seat, red stitching, yellow sport mode. I guess it all depends on your sense of color and how fussy you are. All I can say is everyone I've taken for a ride has really liked the mods (shift boot and armrest). I ordered directly from the website. I encourage you to start with an email and see what the price is. Mike is on the ball. I don't think I got too much of a discount, but I'm way happy. And the leathers and stitching really do look well together. If they hadn't worked the first time around, Mike was clear that he'd do whatever it takes to fix any problems (I had none).

5. 70sstrat08

70sstrat08 Member

If you can hold tight for a bit we'll have a coupon code for you to get free MO stitching and 10 bucks off! Mine is going to be the proto and we we'll get the code out as soon as everything is 100 percent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

johnnyquest and mrtn like this.
  6. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

Thanks 70sstrat08, keep me in the loop and I'll pull the trigger when it's go time.

7. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

I'm surprised yours fit so well. The opening on the top of the boot that they sent me to test fit was too small and now they're sending me a second one to see how it will do. I think it might be wise for this GB to wait until I can help Mike and redlinegoods lock down a proper size.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. __V__

__V__ Member

They have a 20% off code on their facebook page today only, anyone who wants a standard color might get a better deal with it.

9. jfdana

jfdana Member

Absolutely no reason not to wait; seems sensible. Based on my experience, the tricky part was (1) unclipping the plastic part of the reverse lockout from the metal as there are two strong plastic clips that I had to slowly, but firmly, pry out to release the top metal part; and (2) locking them back together after I had inserted the leather into the upper metal part. I used a flathead screwdriver to push the leather into the "upside down cup" part, and then turned the boot inside out and used an adjustable mouth plumbers wrench to compress the plastic clips back over the metal using padding over the metal to protect it. It took a while as I really didn't want to go to the dealer and try to explain why I needed to replace broken parts ;( It was a tight fit, but it worked. I didn't need to use the "zip tie" method Redline describes in their directions for the FOST boot, and the fit looks factory (assuming that's a good thing). And thanks to dmondi12 for doing all this legwork!

10. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

My pleasure! I'm a stickler for details so i don't mind taking the time at all. I used two small screwdrivers to hold open the two black plastic clips to release the silver cup piece. My issue was that the opening at the top of the boot was too narrow to fit over the black plastic piece, which would sandwich the top of the boot between the black piece and the silver piece. I think this is what you explained above; maybe i just got unlucky and got a boot with a smaller opening. I'll be doing a full writeup for them once my boot gets here I sent them measurements so if all goes to plan this new test boot (in the mail) should fit perfect!

11. 70sstrat08

70sstrat08 Member

Unless you want the MO color matched boot;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

12. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Which I do. Wonder if they can do the door armrests too? I'd like denser foam and leather covers on those.

13. 70sstrat08

70sstrat08 Member

I'm sure they could do door armrests. They don't have them for the FiST yet so they might be willing to work with you on it.

14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I am in that process.
    The hardest part was coming up with another set of door arm rests.
    I didn't want to pull my car apart and wait for the replacements.
    Their not sold separately but only as part of the door panel.

When complete they will be exactly that, more dense and leather covered with a seam to match everything else.

On another note.
    Although I do like the four piece cross seam for the boot.
    I would prefer to have the normal stitching (not quad) so as to match the seats and everything else.

Dave

15. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

And will work on everything from a Fiesta S Sedan on up to an ST :D

I used the 20% code to get my armrest. I want to take apart some pieces to see if a leather boot can be modified for the powershift lever though.

16. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Scary how close our thinking is, huh? Thanks for starting this.

17. 70sstrat08

70sstrat08 Member

Good news bad news everyone.

The good the boot arrived a day early PICTURES!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bad as you can see the color is more copper then our kind of red/orange that is Molten. This is why we wanted to do a test run before we throw out the code for the MO boot deal.

So far I'm quite impressed with the quality of the stitching and leather. The charcoal is just about a dead match for our seats. I'm going to ask them if we can go darker and more red any other suggestions?

18. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

The leather looks good.
    The stitching does need to be more red.

This is a good start.

I am picking up the door panels this weekend.
    They should be sent off next week.
    So with the correct leather and thread color these will be correct as well.

Dave

19. 70sstrat08

70sstrat08 Member

Update:
    I heard back from Maciek at redline and he was supper apologetic. Apparently this is the first time they've missed the mark and he was quite disappointed how far off it was. They are working on finding a better match and I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear anything else. I'm going to install the one they sent me and send them the stock boot so they can see if they can make an "exact" copy.

20. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Hey, does anyone have an estimate for the ship time from Poland? I ordered my armrest when the 20% Facebook deal was announced and just wondered what the average time was.

21. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

Like 10 business days I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk