Motegi MR125 & Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 205/40/17

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by RDgolfer, Aug 2, 2014.

1. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

The tires and wheels are supposed to be balanced from TireRack...I'm pissed off...they guarantee wheel and tire packages are balanced and certified before delivery....nothing is sacred...wtf!!!! $1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

TireRack has been informed...we'll see what happens....we are living in a big joke...quality doesn't exist and neither does customer service...wtf

4. ISO100

ISO100 Member

No real issues with mine. A slight vibration at 75 but I'm running the stock tires.

I would say your balance job wasn't perfect.

5. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I'm sure tire rack will take care of you. I've had nothing but great experiences with them over the last decade plus and I've bought A LOT from them.

6. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

So I talked to Meagan at TireRack and told her the about noise etc..long story short, I went and got all 4 wheels rebalanced on the Hunter Roadforce Touch...2 of the tires had 17 and 21 lbs of roadforce....15lbs is TireRack's in house limit. So they are shipping 2 new tires today, and taking extra care in selecting the tires. They will reimburse me for the wheel balancing, but only for two...I am going to see if they will reimburse the whole thing, since the defective tires should have never been shipped, and the only way to find out what was wrong, was to check all four tires..we'll see what happens in the next episode of "ROAD FORCE"

7. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

glad to see they are taking care of you. Could be the wheels too, not just the tires.

8. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I am less worried about the wheels...and that will be proven, hopefully, with better quality tires...my family has been in the screw machine business since 1944...whatever....anyway, for the wheels to be out of round(runout), the machine the wheels we're made on would have to have a problem with either the programming(CNC) or the way the wheel was held...and 21 pounds of road force from a wheel would mean Motegi has no business making a wheel in the first place...but I don't think that is the case...rubber molds have a lot more room for quality issues than machined aluminum from a quality manufacturer

9. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

And SHAAZAM!!!

10. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Update: 2 new Michelin Pilot AS/3's dropped by big Brown today...that is good, will have them mounted manana...but today I am driving around, and am hearing a thudding every revolution...I heard this with the OEM wheels and tires....could it be bad wheel bearings? This car is driving me nutso...but I still love it...would just love to have it all be right...anyone else have wheel bearing problems or odd wheel/tire noises? Greatly appreciated

11. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I saw on another forum that the whirring noise at high speed could be a wheel bearing, but the thudding every wheel revolution has got me dumbfounded

12. onederer

onederer Member

If you've been through two sets of wheels and tires and still have the same issues, that should rule that out.
    You are on the right track with wheel bearings. Is it rhythmic or does the thumping happen when hitting a road imperfection?

It would also be a bad shock. Check those as well. Also, see if you can get a refund from the dude charging you for the balancing.

13. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

There is something wrong...machine gun sound, high pitched whirring..and this after 200 USD to Firestone of Smithfield, RI...who did a wonderful job all around...good and knowledgeable people...anyway, they stripped the motegi's of previous balancing weights...then a printout from the Hunter tire balancing/road force machine...put new balancing weights on...then another printout...and then I realized why leave a stone unturned?...go ahead with an alignment...it was out of spec from the factory by a large margin....so now after having all this done and seemingly having all my problems diagnosed and solved, I drove home and wtf...machine gunning sound from the rear and the whirring noise from the front or wherever

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  14. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

I did Ford's and Tire Rack's quality inspection on my own, which should have been done before I purchased the vehicle and the wheel/tire package...and I am left with a car I hate to drive...this sucks the big one, and I feel everyone's pain that has had to deal with quality issues from Ford or outside vendors...never mind the horrible service from dealerships...I will never buy a Ford again

15. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I can't remember if you noted this, but you are using hub centric rings, correct?

And, if you are, did you make sure they are still on?

16. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Yes and yes...the same noises now as before but worse...but for quality purposes, will lift and double check tomorrow

17. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Looked at the wheels where the TireRack balancing weights were...the friggin' Firestone tech scraped my brand new rims to get the old weights off...I am disgusted and at wit's end...scraped with a metal tool!...New wheels please Firestone...this sucks...

18. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Update: filed a claim with Firestone to have 3 new wheels...if this doesn't happen, 4 Motegi mr125's will be on sale with scraped wheels where the the tire balancing weights were affixed...stay tuned....btw, don't ever go to chain auto houses...ie..Firestone, Goodyear, Sears...profit over quality and terrible service...you may get one tech who is qualified, but have one idiot who decides to remove previous tire weights from your wheels with a metal scraper...and they said the wheel weights should be removed with a plastic tool...not in my case...and this would have never happened if TireRack never sent me tires with road force pounds over 15 lbs...which is their in house high tolerance...I got 2 tires with 17 and 21 lbs of road force........and to figure which tires had a problem, I had to have all 4 wheels re- balanced...very unhappy with TireRack and their approved installer, Firestone

19. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I find it odd that you have two sets of wheels and two sets of tires with the same problem. If you took it to the same place to have checked them maybe their machine is fucked off or they're less than reputable.

Can you get a recording of the noise that is bothering you so much?

20. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

There is no way you would ever be able to hear it from a recording on a phone...and the re-balance was much improved over the original...different tech with a concerned manager overseeing the operation...why is there time to do things twice, but not enough time to do it right the first time???? I feel like buying 4 hub bearings and having my guy install them and forget the dealer

21. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Update: Firestone/Bridgestone finally responded to me from someone from the claims department today...their insurance company is going to send someone to examine my motegis' for damage. Hopefully there will be a good outcome from this.

rcl4668 likes this.