Mountune Intercooler

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by Chuckable, Jan 14, 2015.

1. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

Got mine (black, no logo) installed on my black fiesta st yesterday. Without all the badges it car looks pretty unnoticeable.

Firesail likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I guess they were censored out!

4. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

:D

5. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Upgrading to a mountune cai and a high flow induction hose along with a dp and cbe without a fmic upgrade, the oem fmic is a clog in the flow of air...so upgrade components when appropriate...I bought the mountune fmic, but I won't install it until their tbe is available...pointless..right now with mountune's cai and high flow induction hose along with Randy's tune, my car is ripping...once the tbe is available, I will install said tbe and mountune fmic and data log, and send data log info to Randy to receive a bespoke tune specific to my modifications...because I purchased the optimized calibration

6. BlackBird

I might regret this, but explain what you mean about an FMIC being pointless without a turboback exhaust? There's no relation, one to the other.

7. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

I might also regret this (I don't defend RD often), but it might make sense to wait for the tbe before installing the intercooler if he's going to need a recalibration anyway. The rest of the post about a fmic being pointless is unsubstantiated (as per usual).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dyn085, BlackBird and Firesail like this.
  8. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Do I have to do this? Timboslice...do some research before you open your trap...it's about air flow...the more air that flows, the more a new tune is necessary...the ecu cannot learn this...and yah, it's about stages and calibration...do what you want...I know nothing

9. BlackBird

1. I'm pretty sure everyone here understands the concept of re-tuning after most mods. Specifically, we're just arguing that having one mod or the other is not 'pointless' unless you're going to combine installation and get tuned all at once. You don't know how long you're waiting, either. That's simply how your words came across.

2. See the bolded text? This is going to be my final warning to you, RD. If you cannot stay civil in discussion, measures are going to be taken.

Anyhow, back on topic.

Dyn085, Firesail, golfhack and 2 others like this.
  10. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

I'm sure you realize that what you're saying is not only rude but also incorrect. You're only hurting yourself (your car) by not installing the FMIC because it would give your engine lower temperature air to have to deal with. While waiting to purchase a custom tune will be financially better to do once with all of the mods, that doesn't mean you won't get a benefit in the mean time. As stated, the FMIC has literally nothing to do with the exhaust.

The ECU can and does learn. That's a fact. It won't be optimal, but to state that the ECU cannot learn is incorrect.

11. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

This is why my next upgrade since doing MP215 will be the mountune FMIC and charge air pipes to lower temperatures going into the engine, as I would rather do the FMIC upgrade before an exhaust upgrade.

12. Chuckable

Chuckable Member

And that's exactly what Mountune recommended when I spoke to them the other day about which upgrade to do after the MP215 kit.

13. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Glad I got them done at the same time then! I just need the charge pipe upgrade... But I was going to order that when/if that exhaust ever comes

14. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

Honestly, a stock FiST or an MP215 probably won't receive a much of a performance bump with a intercooler upgrade. However, if you track you car or drive in a hot climate, why not give your car consistent charge air temps to maximize performance? I don't have one on my MP215 but I would never call someone an idiot for purchasing one. It's a simple, smart and easy upgrade...

If you have a custom tuned FiST, the intercooler is a great upgrade (that's why Randy has you indicate your intercooler when you buy a custom tune)! It's definitely an important factor in optimizing your tune...

15. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I agree with you completely, for me I know this mountune FMIC upgrade won't increase performance much, but what I'm hoping it will be make the car more reliable long term with lowered air charge temperatures. Where I live we can get up to a month of +35C weather in the summer so it will help then. I believe Ken or Randy may have stated at some point throttle response will be improved with the mountune FMIC upgrade along with a pressure drop for the charge system and its also Ford warranty friendly.

16. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

I don't expect the FMIC and Charge Pipe upgrades to give me increased performance. I expect them not to be responsible for a LOSS in performance, as the stock units may (or may not) be, (under certain conditions). If the do actually increase performance, Serendipity. Realistic expectations.

Dyn085 likes this.
  17. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

This. Considering the fact that the OEM intercooler is documented to hear soak up to 30 degrees over ambient during a single third-gear pull, every degree you can save out of that is power you aren't losing. Idk what the Mountune IC generally soaks to on a run, but if we assume 10-15 degrees then that means you are fueling/timing 80-85 degree charge temps on a 70 degree day instead of 100 degree charge temps.

Not only is this better for power, it's better for the engine and it gives you consistency. There is literally no reason to postpone an intercooler upgrade.

marc89gti likes this.
  18. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Perfect then. The mountune is not responsible for power loss to the extent that the stock one is. Using one won't give you more power (like using a bigger turbo) it just won't be responsible for robbing power. (aka the stock unit.) ... Which is exactly why to upgrade not just the FMIC, but also the charge pipe system if one can afford to do so.

Firesail and marc89gti like this.