Mountune Lowering Springs: 5-Door FiST, Available Soon!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by McRib 1s Back, Jan 17, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

You didn't miss it -- I still need to snap a few photos! I'll try to get this done today; I've avoided taking pictures of my dirty car. :)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391998468.557153.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391998482.739159.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391998502.424227.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391998536.126943.jpg

These tires are wearing nicely. This is after a heavy day of lapping at WSIR: Streets of Willow. Maybe I'll get ten track days out of them. I just did a rotation (front-to-rear).

-2.8 deg of camber is obviously too much for a daily driven street car.

Firesail and stuntdoogie like this.
  4. McRib 1s Back

Sharp eyes will spot a can of Rustoleum black spray paint...

I've decided to permanently remove my Sparco center-caps (a couple of them might have already melted). You should remove these for track events, and I find that they even get hot enough to deform on spirited canyon runs.

So, the exposed axle lugs can be pretty ugly. Mine had a bit of surface rust, and were not black. So a few light coats of paint handled that chore (I do this on my Jeep too). It's minor, but I think it looks better.

5. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

I see that you're local, McRib! Join the SoCal Focus/Fiesta ST get togethers. I loved shooting in the Bellflower Blvd tunnel under LGB back in the day.

So when do you wanna do a canyon-chase run where we can follow a FiST with GoPros?
    I have a I and III

So how much harsher is the ride with the drop springs?

6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

So BlueBomber, why don't you and some of your buddies join McRib and myself at Big Willow the Saturday.

All the speed you can do at lees than a speeding ticket.

Dave

7. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Willow's a bit of a drive, and I've been looking at doing the events that KROPS (keep racing off public streets) throws at Apex out in Perris, $50 for a trackday is pretty damn hard to beat and they're monthly.

I'm very poor and work hard to get the parts I have via barter, lol. Seriously looking forward to ST academy though.

8. McRib 1s Back

Yep, local -- Long Beach! Just post-up here on the meetings, and I'll do my best to attend. I really only have time for one car site right now, so I'm not active on the other boards.

Canyon runs are fun, and I'm game with early starts. I have a few track days lined up right now, so it's going to be hard to get many more weekend days in for a bit.

It's really not harsh at all. See my previous replies, earlier in this thread, but I think it's pretty much where the stock ride is. It's a great economical upgrade if you want a modest boost to performance, the looks of around a 1" drop, and no ride quality penalties.

9. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Soooo the question is then, what's mountune's msrp on these and part no?

I was considering Eibach lowering springs and sways but reckon Mountune might go over better with the dealerships when I eventually need to deal with them.

10. McRib 1s Back

Mountune is doing a lot to be a dealer friendly brand. As you know, they're a very well established brand in the UK and the rest of Europt (WRC and general 4-cylinder car tuning!). They will have entire kits that are officially supported, and come with warranty. Parts alone generally don't, but I'll leave that to Mountune to answer.

Keep in mind that parts that don't affect other unassociated systems can't have a warranty invalidated (e.g., your aftermarket springs have nothing to do with an engine problem). I'm with you however, and prefer Mountune parts where available!

A big plus is that these springs have carefully matched spring rates and are known to work well on our USDM cars.

Mountune is pretty active here, so I'll leave the price question to them.

11. Ken@mountune

Ken@mountune Active Member

The price will be no more then $299.00. They are in production now so release is 4-6 weeks.

Thanks
    Ken

12. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

How much of a need is there to upgrade the sway bar with the springs?

I guess what I am asking is, how bad is the stock sway bar

13. McRib 1s Back

This one is debatable, but I see the need for better sway bars. If I had to choose, I'd just go for the rear one. We have a modest front unit, and nothing out back (discussed in another thread, search for "Eibach sway bar"). Dave has a full set on his car, but refer to that thread first. Let's keep this thread about Mountune springs. :)

Basically the "70% stiffer beam" (compared to a regular Fiesta) is good enough for general purpose street-use sportiness, but track/race use might call for more. I want the car to rotate more, but I'm going to try my existing setup at Big Willow before making changes. It's not a big deal for me, but I can tell you that you'll feel a big difference. Go for a ride in Dave's car. The combination works well, but solves different problems.

14. wash

wash Active Member

Could you describe the "problems" solved in Dave's car?

I just would like to hear what they do from a few different perspectives.

Thanks.

15. McRib 1s Back

Perhaps I should have said these components address different suspension issues.

The role of the springs is well understood, right?

I really meant to convey the idea that you will absolutely feel a difference in how flatly the car corners.

I did not drive Dave's car. As a passenger, it was plenty obvious. It's a nice change, and it might make sense as a suspension upgrade. I'm going to do that.

16. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

WE should be able to resolve some of these questions this coming weekend.

Dave

17. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

McRib, looks like proper tire wear. What cold and hot pressures were you running?

18. McRib 1s Back

Cold values of 36 front and rear @ Big Willow. My thinking is that I gain a bit more mechanical grip (since I'm running -2.8 camber). Hot pressures after a full session balloon to 45 PSI. Unless I sneak into the next run group, it cools in time for my normally scheduled program. :)

I have a big water sprayer but have yet to use it. I'll bring it for the next track day on 3/8.

19. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

Any update on these?

20. McRib 1s Back

On the springs or the wear-pattern for the tires? I guess the tires came up because of the concern that lowering/negative camber may cause for uneven tire wear. I actually installed camber bolts to hit -2.8 deg of camber, getting to a place that isn't so good for a DD. So, I don't DD the car, but weekends and track days have been just fine.

So, the tires are wearing great after a few big heat cycles. I've decided to move on, and have since purchased BFG R1 tires, leaving these as my street tires (see related "Best Track Day Tire" thread).

Finally, the springs are awesome. I highly recommend them! There have been no problems, no odd noises, weird handling or the like -- just a safe and easy way to lower the car and get a nice boost in handling! If you're not getting coilovers, get these springs!

21. dmondi12

dmondi12 Active Member

The springs. They're still not available to anybody else yet!