Music streaming services

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WScottCross, Mar 1, 2014.

1. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

What is everyone using for music streaming?

I used to use Pandora, but it constantly hits my data plan and i"m not unlimited. I definitely like the song selection logic with Pandora and it learns what you like. It really tunes each station when you click thumb up and down. It used to essentially create a playlist if you thumbed up too many songs, but they must have expanded the database for each station since it seems better now.

I also used Zune/XBox music. It was a great deal when I had several Zune devices on the same account and you used to get 10 songs a month to keep. For up to 3 mobile devices and 3 PCs for $15/month it was a killer deal. The song selection for the smart DJ function wasn't as good as Pandora, but I just downloaded alot of stuff and had it set to shuffle.

I tried Nokia MixRadio and really liked the fact that I can create mixes and set them for offline use. This is great since I can now listen to automatically refreshed mixes while I'm offline on an airplane or while I'm driving without killing my limited data plan. The mixes aren't quite as good as Pandora, better than XBox music, but the offline feature is a huge plus for me. If you have a Nokia Windows smartphone, you can even set up to 4 mixes for offline use with a free account. More that 4 mixes offline or use on a non-Nokia device requires a paid account, which is only $3.99/month. Still a great deal for unlimited music and offline use. The one downside is that if you;re on a PC, Windows 7 only supports browser streaming with no offline capability. Windows 8 has a native app that is great and allows offline mixes just like Windows Phone devices.

I found that Nokia MixRadio actually provides the best experience for MFT in my FiST. Connected through Bluetooth, it still displays Artist and Track details and responds to skip controls from the touchscreen and steering wheel controls. Pandora didn't display track details and just displayed a generic "Bluetooth audio" screen.

What's your experience?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I use a mix of Pandora and Spotify mobile. If you're having trouble with your data getting squeezed, try Google Play Music All Access, if you're on Android. It has media quality options; you can lower the stream quality and therefore save some data. I agree though, Pandora's logic is excellent. I looooove what they choose for my Jazz station.

4. k757

k757 Active Member

I'm in on iHeartRadio and Pandora. I have unlimited data, so I'm good there :)

5. iLiptiKal

iLiptiKal Active Member

I'm on iPhone and stream a ton of stuff from the podcasts app and have had awesome results with it. It shows cover art, podcast names and episode titles, and the controls on the steering wheel work to skip episodes. Other than that I use Rdio, which is no where near as good as Pandora, but since Pandora is blocked in Canada and I don't want to pay for a streaming service it's all I use.

Non streaming I have Sirius (free subscription still, and then free through work after) that I listen to a lot and an old 500gb HDD mounted in the arm rest that I loaded up with music when I want something specific.