My FiST overheated today has anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by Bcook_illFX, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bcook_illFX

Bcook_illFX New Member

Today I drove from San Francisco to Los Angeles I did it very quickly I averaged about 83 mph the whole way. When I was going up the grapevine It was about 90 degrees outside (the grapevine is a very big climb that is probably 20 miles long or so)I was moving very quickly accelerating through traffic with the a/c on and as I neared the top I noticed the my temp warning light turned on so I turned off a/c and immediately pulled over and shut it off I let it set for 10 mins. turned it back on and the temp light was off and the temp gauge was back on the middle so I continued much slower and even turned on my Heater I noticed when I did this the coolant temp and oil temps started to drop and had no warning lights for the ready of the way. I have a stock IC and intake but I do have a miltek decat downpipe with mrt exhaust and a Cobb access port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. smatty

smatty Member

Isn't that like an 8% grade? That's definitely a great way to overheat an engine if there ever was one.

4. Bcook_illFX

Bcook_illFX New Member

Ya it's really long steep climb and I noticed my boost pressure was pretty high for the whole climb with the a/c on so maybe I just pushed it too hard I might take I to my mechanic and make sure everything is cool tho, does anyone know what range the coolant temp should be

5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

This only confirms what Joe from 2J-Racing is now working on a cooling upgrade for our cars he has seen very warm coolanttemps while on track in the and is working on a better fan/radiator shroud update and total new custom built with oil cooler maybe Radiator.. only hitch with the new rad is the top and bottom of the factory unit are built to hold the AC condensor coil/small rad so it need to have that built into the top and bottom.. A quick fix might be to do what RAAMauidio did and swiss cheese your current rad shroud as it looks to be very restrictive at hiway speeds.. But it is not a simple process to remove the shroud maybe a saturday project..

Bcook_illFX likes this.
  6. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Most interesting to me is that you have the Access Port, instead of a stock fuel map. I'm thinking that's the major contributor to the overheating, and one of the reasons I'm waiting for the Mountune 215 to be able to be dealer installed.

I remember going over the grapevine when there were ALWAYS cars by the side of the road that had overheated, but my last few trips it has seemed that it was a thing of the past.

SpaceFish and Bcook_illFX like this.
  7. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Team O'Neil had an issue with the ST getting hot when in competition, but I am not surprised when running on rally stages with a skid plate blocking airflow from escaping under the engine. They cut open the honeycomb in the grille to allow more airflow during service until a better fix could be found.

I had the Fiesta Movement ST on track a few times and ran the crap out of it at an autocross with around 35 runs and 7 drivers running the car hard. We never had any overheating problems, however, temps in West Michigan in the summer are not nearly as high as most of the country.

Firesail, ryst and Bcook_illFX like this.
  8. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

I had a similar issue going up a mountain but mine was in the 25-35mph range, I was the last vehicle of a 4-7 car line of traffic and was following fairly close on the vehicle ahead of me. All I did was turn on the heater to full and put some distance between me and the vehicle in front, temp. light went off within 30 seconds. My ST is 100% stock.

Were you close enough behind other vehicles to possibly interrupt some of the airflow to your ST ? I've climbed the same mountain several times since with no traffic in front of me and can't reproduce it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Bcook_illFX likes this.
  9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

That is odd as I have been over the Grapevine on several occasions.
    I always run at a speed that I refuse to admit.
    My A/C is always on.
    I have never had any issues.

Dave

10. Bcook_illFX

Bcook_illFX New Member

I was going 100-120 mph

11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

OK, you got me there.
    I usually keep it at about 90.

Dave

12. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

So, you were going 100+ mph, uphill, in 90 degree heat, for 20 miles with the A/C full blast and the car got hot? Go figure!

13. Bcook_illFX

Bcook_illFX New Member

My wrx never overheated over the grapevine

14. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

All designs are compromises. A larger cooling system would involve a bigger rad and more coolant. Which means more weight. If it took those conditions to get the car to overheat, I'd say Ford got the compromise just about perfect.

15. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

I was somewhat suprised when I first looked in the ST engine bay. Half the radiator is covered with a shroud, and the fan appears quite small.
    Seems to work for me though. Just sits on 1/2 all the time.

16. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

[​IMG]
    Overheat? In a fist? Never happen... Lol.

DayJ, Bcook_illFX and RodMoe like this.
  17. Is there a special procedure to burping the cooling systems on these cars?
    MH

18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Vacuum Fill or burp it several time to make sure all air is out

19. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Have you noticed that all the steps are numbered "1" ? :bored:

DayJ likes this.
  20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Just did thanks thats a feature of cut and paste i did not know about ... let me fix that by hand or not that has me stumped as to the formatting

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  21. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

Weird. Wonder what the issue is on these cars.

It was 90 out yesterday at Miller for the octane academy. The track FiST's are heavier than ours with the addition of the cage etc. They get flogged hard and at the rev limiter for long periods of time. They dont have any mods to the cooling system. They are essentially bone stock just w/ a cage added.

I witnessed no over heating or even higher than normal temps.

Wonder if there is a bad batch of radiators or some other cooling related part?

I havent seen any issues on mine yet and I have a 20 mile climb from 4500'-7500 that I usually go 80mph or much much faster up