My FiST overheated today has anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by Bcook_illFX, Jun 2, 2014.

1. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

The oct car were modified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

The Focus ST's are the FiST's are not

4. Justin D.

Justin D. New Member

Not sure how much of a factor this is, but I checked the coolant level in my FiST last week and noticed that it was below the minimum line. Maybe you were low on coolant also???

5. Bcook_illFX

Bcook_illFX New Member

na that's the first thing I checked I was full on coolant

6. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

Someone just stated that they talked to one of the guys in the program and they were running distilled water and water wetter instead of factory coolant. When you changed something, its...... Modified.

I can tell you the epic level of some tech's at ford have left me a $80 "radiator fluid change" due to having the wrong mix of 80/20 in my old focus. Of course.... The reason the car was over-heating was the fan module was bad under warranty. The plastic thermostat housing that leaked because it was warped from over heating was not covered under the warranty (caused by the fan module failure). I added water to get the car to ford (it over heated due to the fan module failure, and lost coolant ). So... Because a factory part broke, caused two other parts to fail I was on the hook for $80 coolant change, diagnostics, and the thermostat housing warping ( which had a tech service bulletin ).

Did i buy a ford from that dealer? Nope. Did I pay a single extra anything from ford besides the car? Nope. Do i expect them to warranty my rear wheel bearings if they start making noise at 50k miles like my focus did? Nope.

Unless your 75 years old and drive bone stock F-150 5.0L v8, I wouldn't expect much help from ford with fixing there factory F-ups. A "marginal at best" cooling system being one of them.

7. mossdahaus

mossdahaus Member

So the temps were close to 100 today on the drive home. I was in traffic when I noticed there was NO bottom end power...I looked down to see the temp light was on and temps were 240 on my AP. I had just gotten back into my car about 30 seconds prior to pulling off at an ATM. Immediately turned on MAX defrost and shut her down in the parking lot with the ACC on. Anyone else??? Anything to be on the lookout for?

8. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

That's impressive !! Should have took a pic !! Dealer may need to inspect your car. If it blows up later,
    They may try to blame you for not bringing it in. If they check and say its ok to drive, then it blows up, you'll have it on record that you reported it.

mossdahaus likes this.
  9. mossdahaus

mossdahaus Member

Good point! Will call dealer in the AM

10. Teezlr

Teezlr Member

Check this guys issue out also..

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-discussions/1716-post-your-warranty-claims.html

11. sourskittle

sourskittle Member

Good find. Good idea for a topic.

12. DayJ

DayJ New Member

Thread might be dead, but has anyone followed up with more info about the engine overheating? My ST's temp gauge and dummy light came on during stop and go traffic on I-10 today. I'm in Phoenix and it is 120 outside, but I don't want to worry about not being able to drive the 15 minutes it takes to get home from work. I did all the normal stuff: pulled over, waited, drove with the heat on (kill me.)

13. Chuckable

Chuckable Member

May not be the answer anyone experiencing this problem is looking for, but Mishimoto is working on a radiator for the FiST. Hopefully it'll be out in a few months.

14. DayJ

DayJ New Member

Update: after letting the car cool down the level on the reservoir was almost an inch under the minimum. I went and bought a jug of orange and also adjusted the mixture to 40/60 since I'm planning on staying in the "hell on earth" Phoenix climate.

Still concerned that I'm losing coolant but haven't seen any leaks.

15. moshaholic2

Mine got warm for the first time yesterday. The coolant was at "minimum" level. Car is almost two years old, so I think I can chalk that up to normal evaporation.

Has anyone drilled out the rest of the honeycomb grill for more airflow yet?

16. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

yup. but the bumper beam is in the way so you either need to cut that out or get the dhm crash bar. I havent seen a cooling problem on my car since the modification. even with the addition of driving lights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. AT-AT

AT-AT New Member

Hi there! Just chiming in on whats going on with me here in California.

Last Summer I took my car in for overheating and it was a "bad thermostat" fast forward this summer about a week ago and it was overheating again constantly. They are currently replacing my entire radiator.

Might want to take it in! :)

Good luck

DayJ and Joe Schmoe like this.
  18. moshaholic2

19. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Member

I'm assuming this is a dealer doing the work? If so, which dealer?....in case we need help finding one that is cooperative.

20. Ad93

Ad93 New Member

Anyone else still experiencing overheating issues? My car still gets hot and even overheats when simply driving up Laurel Canyon from Hollywood to the valley when it's 90F and ac on.

And what do you all think about the Mishimoto radiator that they've finally completed? It only promises a 10F reduction in coolant temps. It's quite expensive and looks like a pain in the a** to install.

21. DayJ

DayJ New Member

Update on my overheating issue: back in October I took my FiST in the Chapman Ford in Scottsdale, AZ. Last time it overheated I noticed that the fan was not on when I pulled over, despite the temp light being on. The dealership replaced the fan (under warranty) and I haven't had any issues since. We'll see how it fairs. We're having our first string of 90 degree days this week.