MyFordTouch hacks, mods, updates, etc.

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Interior Upgrades' started by nummypuppies, Dec 8, 2013.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Apparently not! [At least for those who get it working!] I'm sure there are ways to transmit via BT the data necessary for SYNC [or other] to receive the info and use it reasonably. Lots of text ends up arriving via BT, if you think about it. I turn on BT on my phone, and I see "SYNC" on offer as a BT device. That's text. So it's a matter of just dealing with the right 1s and 0s in the proper way, I'm sure.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Papi4baby

Papi4baby Member

4. jimlau

jimlau Member

My iPhone 5S (with Settings > Bluetooth > Show Notifications ON) does indeed send texts to MFT. I get a popup with a "Listen" button where it'll read the text, but that goes away after a few seconds. I can also hit Voice and say "Read Messages" and it'll read all unread (by MFT) texts. Works pretty well! I never used this on my old Fiesta with Sync because it originally wasn't supported and I never looked that closely.

5. JohnnyCanuck

JohnnyCanuck New Member

Same as jimlau said.

You can also send voice to text messages through the car's system by using Siri on the phone. Press Siri "reply to text" listen to the prompts and voila!

6. Papi4baby

Papi4baby Member

Good to hear, i guess they did add support for it.

7. FordIVTteam

FordIVTteam Official Ford Representative

If you're located in the USA, try running a Vehicle Health Report. This will also update the website with your current software. Here are the instructions: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/run-a-vehicle-health-report-sync-myford-touch
    If you're trying to avoid restoring the iPhone, try performing a soft reset to the iPhone by holding the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple appears. Your phone will stay paired to the MyFord Touch system. Check to see if text messaging is working. If it is not, I suggest performing a master reset: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch This will erase all settings in the MyFord Touch system and the phone will need to be re-paired.

Hi Papi4baby,

Text messaging was not supported on iPhones prior to the V3.6.2 MyFord Touch update. Now, many iPhones do support this feature.

Kim

8. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Yaaaa it worked.. And I send text messages via Siri when connected to MFT

9. FordIVTteam

That's great, LuvfiestaST! In my opinion, running a Vehicle Health Report is the easiest method of reporting a software installation. :)

Kim

10. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I'm in Toronto canada

11. FordIVTteam

I should have added "if you live in the United States".

Sorry; I must have misunderstood your comment. To verify that you have the most up-to-date software installed, press SETTINGS > HELP > SYSTEM INFORMATION. The last 5 digits of the CCPU number will say 13171 if this is the case.

Kim

12. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

My iPhone 5 does not have this option under Bluetooth > SYNC

13. WestcoastST

WestcoastST Active Member

Touch bluetooth, then you'll see the sync for your FiST. Touch the I with a circle on it to the right of the Sync on your Iphone, then turn on Show notifications. Then open messages on myford touch, and turn the messages to on.
    That being said, Neither I nor the Sync expert at my dealership can make the texting option work on an Iphone 5. I have not tried to get it to work on my daughter's Iphone 5S though. Anyone know if everything works on a Galaxy S4?

14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

jimlau reported above that it works fine with his iPhone 5S. With all due respect to all the hard work and hard working people involved, this seems not to have made it to the "It just works" stage of things.

15. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

yeah... none of those options are listed when you click the little circle guy.
    It may have to do with what OS my iPhone 5 is running? I haven't been able to update to ioS 7

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

BlueBomber, what do you see when you go to Settings>Bluetooth?

17. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Bluetooth (On-Off Slider)

DEVICES

SYNC - Not Connected (>)
    SYNC - Not Connected (>)
    SYNC - Not Connected (>)

Now Discoverable

Do I need to be connected to the car to see the text option menu?

also I have three different SYNCs from my Dad's '13 Escape SE 2.0T AWD, my mom's '12 Escape SE V6 FWD and my Fiesta.

18. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I think I'm now recalling something important; IIRC, in iOS6 Notifications like what we're looking for were controlled through a Notifications option under Settings. May I ask you to go back and go under Settings>Notifications? Under there, I think you might find an option to turn on "Show Notifications". [BTW, you may want to get "clear" of the SYNC systems that you do not wish to connect to at present. I don't know if that could cause an issue in all this, but I'm willing to believe it could.]

19. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Just gave that a go. No sign of Bluetooth under Notifications.

20. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Once you're [edit]: in range of the proper SYNC system (of the FiST, presumably), you'll want to go to Settings>Bluetooth and connect to the SYNC system. Once connected, you'll tap on the small blue arrow next to SYNC, then turn on Show Notifications.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  21. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

After turning on Show Notifications under BT, go back out to Settings>Notifications and find and select Messages. Once you've selected Messages, turn on Notification Center for it. Then go to the bottom of this same screen, where you'll want to select/turn on "View in Lock Screen". Then back out of all this, go to your home screen, and put the iPhone to sleep. Turn off the car, and exit the vehicle, walking away for a couple minutes or so. Return to the vehicle, enter and turn it on, and see if (a) the phone connects, and then (b) if it does the texting thing for you. I think this should work. (Please remember that I'm describing this from memory of iOS6 from a few months ago.)