New 2015 Mustang, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wash, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wash

wash Active Member

So IRS, 2.3 liter EcoBoost with twin scroll turbo available with 305+ HP. V-6 carries over and 5.0 V-8 gets a power upgrade.

I for one will miss the solid rear axle. IRS will just make the car more sophisticated and Muscle Cars are more about brawn than finesse. Some people will say that the IRS handles better but historically solid axles have done just fine on the track running right with IRS mustangs because race tracks are usually pretty smooth and no one cares if their race car rides a little rough. The durability and straight line performance will be missed.

I'm excited about the 2.3 and maybe a Nano V-6 down the road, I know V-8 rumble is cool but with good torquey EcoBoost options, I'll miss the rumble far less than the solid axle.

As for looks, I like the front but the back seems kind of blah. The car was widened and shortened (in height) and it somehow makes the tail look too long. I miss the side scoops or at least a beauty line on the side.

I hear the car is lighter which is always nice and the fact that it got IRS and lost weight should make it a more dynamic car.

If Ford builds the Nano V-6 right and it can rival a Nissan GTR power when tuned, the new mustang might become the poor man's Godzilla. That would be cool because there is no american car that really fills that role.

I think there is more good than bad, what do you think?

Firesail likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

I'll agree there's more good than bad but I would have liked to see more change and an even more modern look. Supposedly it is all new from the ground up but the appearance looks like it could have easily been a major facelift on the same architecture. And the dash? Why after 50 years are you trying to make the new instrument panel resemble that of 1964? Who cares! After years (decades?) of internal and external debate Ford finally went IRS with the Mustang. It can only help the handling.

I like the idea of the available 4 cylinder turbo but I expect it won't come cheap. And overall I would like to see the car get smaller and lighter, not bigger. Hard to believe after fifty years this is only considered to be the 6th generation Mustang.

4. jariten

jariten Member

It still looks to me to be a great performance bargain as it always has been. As someone who the Mustang never really 'clicked' with it doesn't really do anything special to draw me in though. I'm guessing in America it'll still be bought by people who were already going to buy Mustangs anyway. If they really did benchmark the M3 like they say and got even in the ballpark, I can see it being a pretty big surprise success in Europe.

The only couple design cues that really bug me on the interior are the MFT screen which just looks out of place and like a big hole in the dash (but I suppose with the going trend that'll become the standard soon) and the pony on the steering wheel looking like a cheap tacked on plastic piece. The coupe looks pretty good in the mustang style. I do really like the fastback line but don't really like the rear quarter window. The vert though, with it's high beltline that has no shape reminds me of a big rolling bath tub...don't like at all.

All in all I think it's a win for Ford but it doesn't really win me over.

5. Removed

Removed Guest

I believe it's shorter front-to-back as well (not just roofline)... but glad they finally got the weight down. I still think it's a tad too big for a sports coupe, but the new options and IRS are a welcome addition.

However I'm more excited about the Focus RS getting that new 2.3L turbo.

Firesail likes this.
  6. b17drvr

b17drvr New Member

I like it. I think it will be a hot seller.

7. wash

wash Active Member

Well in the Fiesta, going from four cylinders to three with EcoBoost is supposed to be about a $1,000 option.

If the base mustang goes from six to four with EcoBoost, that seems like maybe a $1,500-2,000 upgrade but we might get it packaged like an SVO or something for more money.

I hope they make a nice package specifically for the 2.3 but I hope it is available in an affordable version too.

New topic: Nano! I was reading about twin scroll turbo tech and evidently three exhaust pulses separated by 240° is the optimum pulse timing so a 60° V-6 could be perfect with each bank feeding half of a twin scroll turbo. Nice, simple, compact and cheaper than the twin turbo 3.5 with lots of properly sized turbo options for people who want big power.

Each generation of EcoBoost keeps getting better, first it was 355 HP from 3.5 liters, barely over 100 HP/l, then the 2.0, 1.6 and 1.0 are all right at 126 HP/l, now the 2.3 might be 330 HP/2.3l: 144 HP/l. If the nano gets to 150 HP/l, that's 405 HP, just about perfect for a Mustang. With the increased displacement and twin scroll turbo low rpm spool up, it should have really good maybe 5.0 beating low end power.

Any way, I haven't heard anything specifically about the nano in a Mustang, but the 2015 Mustang release is the first time I've heard of twin scroll on the 2.3 and my mind just puts together the pieces.

In my mind, Ford might decide to quit developing anything bigger than the nano for passenger cars because 400+ HP should be enough for almost anything short of a Cobra or GT replacement.

Thinking really crazy, Ford could pull a VW and create a nano based 5.4l W-12 with 800+ HP factory rating...

Removed likes this.
  8. Devon

Devon Member

I was really hoping the rumours of a 400 lb weight loss and a 4" shorter length were true, but no, it's about the same size and weight as the current model basically, so it's probably going to be too big and heavy to interest me, but I will test drive before I buy something else.