No overboost in 1st or 2nd, respond with short tires?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Nope you can't use coil-overs in stock/street. You can get Fiesta autocross or B-Spec suspension already. Then you're in STX class.
    But why would someone want to spend money upgrading something that's already upgraded?

Firesail likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. wash

wash Active Member

Because what works well on the street isn't necessarily the best set up for the track.

If Ford makes a 1.0 that's just a set of shocks, springs and wheels away from track domination or a set of wheels, coilovers and engine bolt-ons away from running away from a Chevy Sonic turbo or an Abarth Fiat 500, racers will see the value and so will everyone else.

If Ford is going to make a parts bin special, and sell it cheap, they aren't going to spend any money on it. When they spend money and develop parts you get an ST that costs $7,000 more than a base model. If you have any chance at getting an ST rear axle, disk brakes, ST shocks, 15*7" steel wheels and the 1.0 for maybe $3,000 over a base model, don't expect it to be developed more than maybe a set of slightly softer front springs to match the lighter weight.

What I would expect is for racers and suspension companies to figure out a race setup for maybe $1,000 which leaves you still about $3,000 cheaper than an ST which doesn't have a race ready suspension.

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

My god your are full of it Wash....
    I guess every forum needs a Mr. Know-It-All....

golfhack, Firesail and RodMoe like this.
  5. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

LoL

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

6. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Noob question...Is it possible to create boost in first gear through a tune? This is my major gripe I have with this car.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Best to ask Cobb. Don't know how they programmed theirs.

8. wash

wash Active Member

Have you ever seen an old LX 5.0 mustang?

Crap suspension, crap interior, plain body and cheap but advance the timing, take out the front sway bar, disconnect the quad shocks, add sticky tires and suddenly it can run mid 13's on the track.

Ford sold tons of them.

Cheap performance sold in 1987, it should sell today.

9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup sounds like the "TWINS" today they are selling like hot cakes :p

10. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I hate to push this back on topic, but I have a couple of questions. Alan, it sounds like you have good experience autocrossing. With regards to the gearing, do you really think it is better to try to get into third quicker than it is to stay in second gear longer? Is this just a reaction to reduced boost in second or do you really think that the torque in third is enough to pull out of slow corners?

11. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I have some experience with Autocross (in my 2011 SES) and I will say that it will definitely depend on the course. The courses we run in CT are quite small and technical. Those courses will be better to stay mostly in second. If you're running long and fast courses, getting into third may make sense. Most of the local guys here stay in second for the whole course. I won't be able to give my experience with autocrossing the ST until we start the season back up in April.

12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I agree with Scott. But here in KC, and in Topeka, Salina, Lincoln we do have long relatively high speed courses, usually thru walloms, slaloms, and long sweepers. More often than not you hear the rev limiters popping in the Evo's and BMWs as they stretch it out in second. In talking with those guys they would rather stay in 2nd than waste time shifting.

I have been competing in a GTI with DSG so I let the transmission decide and often would be in third. Popping back down to 2nd was easy. (BTW, after my engine went kablooey, I competed in a buddy's '04 Focus SVT. I asked if it has a rev limiter (no) or how high RPM will go (7000), he said, you'll know when the engine blows....so I safely short shifted and still cut a pretty good PAX time)

I have not driven the ST so will only know for sure when the T&Ts and competition starts. My rec is that if you're at redline before half way thru an element, shift. If over half way stay in 2nd. In a good autocross design you are going left, right, speeding up or slowing down. It should never have a long open straight without some type of pin cone, directional element or correction in the middle of it.

13. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

What makes you think Ford won't win an autocross championship or two with the ST? :)

Smokin likes this.
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

You gotta remember he's pulliing things out of his ass....essment of his world...

15. wash

wash Active Member

We will see if the ST can win in its class, a 1.0 would be classed differently which would be to its advantage.

16. limbo

limbo Active Member

Welcome to extreme bench racing with wash, where we speculate on cars and parts that do not yet exist.

Smokin likes this.
  17. wash

wash Active Member

They exist, Ford just isn't selling them yet.

To me that seems like the perfect time to tell Ford how to build an option package out of their parts bin.

They did it with one of the handling packages on the v-6 mustang and even made a race winner with the Boss (except they kind of had to create that race series...).

18. eRic

eRic Active Member

Smokin likes this.
  19. wash

wash Active Member

A "parts bin" car is a car made with previously existing parts, not specifically developing new parts for a new car.

Out of all the parts the article mentioned, I think only the "euro wing" is something Ford had on the shelf before developing the ST. Its not a "parts bin" car.

Now that the parts are developed, using them on another car (like a 1.0) would create a parts bin car.

20. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

They do have a class for the Fiesta. It's STF where it plays with the Mazda 2 and Fit. You can change suspension to coil overs and engine mapping and so far has not been competitive.

21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Also H Stock (since they decided to keep it instead of combine it with G stock)