Observations from Frankenfiesta's First Track day

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by meFiSTo, Apr 3, 2015.

1. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

Ah. I'm not really keen on the new Focus RS. I have a 2004 Audi S4 Avant. To me, that RS is starting to get the pudge of an Audi. I love the hell out of my wagon (although my wife is driving it now), but it handles more like a steam engine on rails than a sports car. I suspect the Focus RS is going to tilt that way too. I'd have more affinity for an AWD Fiesta RS, but that's never going to happen. The platform is just to small to justify AWD to me. And a FWD Fiesta RS? Meh. I already have an LSD and coilovers. I can also get this tuned up to be about whatever I want it to be ( :cough: EFR :cough: Randy Robles), but am happy with it as is.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

The RS has got to be at least 200lbs lighter than the Evo. And I'm sure Mountune will have some goodies within a short amount of time.
    I've owned and tracked 2 mustang GT's, a Cobra, a G35, 04 NSX w/ supercharger and full suspension, 2 Evos - double clutch and manual, and the ST.
    I've gone heavy, light, mid-engine, fast, slow, FWD, AWD and RWD and I must say I enjoy the point and shoot driving style the most. I know it doesn't require a lot of skill but I love the feel of a four wheel drift and reeling it back in!
    I do love the Fist, especially with the current setup, and I'll be sad to see it go. If they do decide to build a Fiesta RS I will definitely go that route.

4. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

The Focus RS is set to pull more than a G stock with the cup tires. Just sayin...

Mr UFO likes this.
  5. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

Hah. I've got a few years on you brother and I think this is my last toy car before I seriously focus on gardening, hiking, BBQ, and travel. I've only ever tracked the SVT Focus and now this, so they're my only real benchmarks. I had a 1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT back in the day (handed down from my dad in 1974). That was a fun car. I should have taken care of that thing, sigh. I had several other sporty cars (280Z, original MR2), but I did not get into track events until my late 40s. It's an expensive habit and I have zero mechanical skills, so everything costs me. I am happy with this and figure that it'll last me till I'm done with the hobby. An AWD Fiesta RS would be very tempting though.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Mr UFO and captainmorbid like this.
  6. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

An original MR2 would be a riot!

7. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

It was prone to snap oversteer. I discovered this when driving home to San Jose from Boulder Creek on Bear Creek Road (sometime around 1985ish). I was going a little faster than I should on a slightly downhill, decreasing radius turn (going clockwise). I was on the inside of the turn. There was a slight ditch to my right, and the other side of the road was down the mount side. The rear end started to just let loose as I turned in, a little off throttle. So long ago. I'm not sure if I touched the brakes as I was turning, but it started coming around. It was pretty low speed. Rather than try to save it with throttle (that cliff scared the @#%% out of me). I kind of road it out, off throttle, steering into it as best I could (while not trying to drive through). The car nosed comparatively gently into the little ditch and I just backed out. Jumped out of the car, pulled the mangled lower valance into a drivable state, and snuck home. No real other damage, no leaks, etc. Just a some bent sheet metal. But I learned that the car was a bit tail happy. My Fiesta is so much easier to drive. It lets me have some fun, play with trail braking and throttle lift turn-in without making my heart race. I like.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Great story. My buddy had a MR2 turbo and we spun it merging on to a freeway after we got done karting! A little too much excitement I guess.
    They're fun cars for sure!