Octane and MPG

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by mcummings182, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I "think" the 2011 tank was 12.0 Gallons, and the FiST is 12.0-12.4 Gallons?
    So pretty close if not favoring the ST.

Could be... a few contributing reasons off the top of my head that might be giving you this result...

The ST is a little more performance oriented, so it may be a little less economy friendly than the '11 you had.. (I don't know this for fact, just a guess that the ST trim gets slightly worse than the non ST trims).
    Also, since you were learning to drive Manual before you picked up your ST... I am assuming your '11 was automatic...
    Could be that your auto was slightly more efficient at shifting? (And it was also already broken in.) But this should improve for you over time.
    And... also, being a new car... My experience has been that my efficiency improves gradually over the duration of the first 20k miles.

Both my Camaro and my Raptor improved over time as the car gets broken in.

So...The bad news is that the ST is the performance version so it's probably not going to achieve what the economy trims get as far as fuel efficiency.
    (Luckily, the difference isn't "massive")

The good news, is that... whatever you're getting right now, can probably improve in time ;) Your car is still pretty new, and there is always room to adjust/improve driving habits to enhance your mpg.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I would love to get 30 mpg avg out of this car... But will be content with anything above 25 ! Either way ... going to be massive upgrade for me... My Camaro got 17 mpg... My truck got 11 mpg.
  4. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

I am new to driving stick and I knew this car wouldn't get as good of MPG as my 2011 (got around 38 MPG) because it is a performance car, and that's one of the many reasons I got it. I started out only getting 24 MPG with it. It's been a few weeks and I'm up to averaging 30 MPG. So I am pretty happy of the outcome and I know it will go up as I learn to drive better.
    FiestaST likes this.
  5. COBB

COBB Active Member

Canadian 94 octane fuel? In our experience, that fuel is very hit or miss (mostly miss). We have seen GT-Rs on factory mapping that go into limp mode after using Canadian 94 octane fuel. If you ever get an Accessport, you would be able to monitor a few parameters (such as timing pulls) to determine if the car is "happy" and that can help guide you to higher quality fuel. In most cases, I usually recommend name brand 91 octane over Canadian 94 octane fuel.

6. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Went on a 1000 mile road trip last weekend and averaged 31MPG with 93 octane fuel. As I mentioned before, the MPG has gone down since we have put over 10,000 miles on the original oil. With fresh oil, I fully expect it to return to 33/34 MPG. That puts it better than my 2011 Fiesta which gets 31/32.
  7. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

How's Canadian Shell 91 octane?
  8. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

That's the best fuel available. Zero corn in it. I believe 94 octane up here is equivalent to E85 gas in the US, too much corn.
  9. COBB

COBB Active Member

Usually pretty good! Many people like the Canadian 94 because it has no ethanol in it. However, all of our testing is done with typical 10% ethanol fuel which all modern cars are designed for and have no issues running. In fact, some testing has shown that 10% ethanol fuel makes more power when compared to non-ethanol equivalents: Fuel Octane Testing

EvoNiner likes this.
  10. captainmorbid

I was sure 94 was an ethanol blend, I've only seen it available at our Mohawk fill stations in the west. Shell 91 V-power is the only fuel I've found in Edmonton to be e-free, which is what I fill my bike with. I'll have to look harder round here...
  11. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The ST tank is bigger than the 2011. The ST is roughly 12.5 gal.
    I say roughly because the number varies depending on where you get the information. And I seriously doubt that the ST is getting as good gas mileage as your 2011, so the lower miles per tank is to be expected.
  12. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Well, moving up from an '11 to the ST and it being your first Manual, has to be a load of fun !

24 mpg is slightly below where I'm hoping to start out, but I could live with that. And something tells me you were having a lot of fun during that 24 MPG.... lol

Hope I don't drop much lower. 30 MPG sounds great to me :) Granted it's no 38 ! (Wow.. Nothing I've driven ever came close to that). But 30 sounds like you're in good shape. It could still improve a bit I think, but sounds like 30-35 is best case scenario for this car... (Based on what people are posting up so far). With 25-30 being the lower end of the spectrum, which I assume is partially due to everyone's cars being new, and all the spirited driving that must be going on.

I'm averaging 27 mpg in the Focus loaner I'm in... so if I can top that in the ST I'll be in paradise. if I can stay in a similar range... I'll still be saving tons compared to my trade in. hehe

One more month-ish ? Until I get to start posting my own MPG... :wacky:
  13. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

I'm guessing the difference is MPG's and not the size of the tank.

Oops, missed the last couple of replies. So the ST tank is actually bigger? I wonder where they found the space?
  14. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I was getting my 94 from Chevron. Which locally among the auto enthusiast scene... seems to be the more popular for the performance junkies and those worried about contaminants/quality. (I don't know if that qualifies as "Canadian" but I suspect not...As I was under the impression it's brought over from across the border (correct me if I am mistaken). I don't fuel my vehicles anywhere else. I only ran the 94 in my Camaro, as my Raptor was only good for 87/91. My experience with other stations gas has been mixed...I didn't like the performance I got using Shell.. And my vehicles just seemed to not feel quite right on that fuel... And have never fueled at any of the less popular stations... Too much car forum reading has me buying into all the lesser quality fuel koolaid. And whether fact or fiction, my experience has been that Shell was more often not as good as Chevron fuel... I base this just on driving feel rather than any technical concrete evidence... So I could be talking out of my :wacky:

Between Chevron 91/94 my experience was mixed.. Sometimes it just didn't seem like it was worth the extra cost. Especially given the type of driving I do mostly doesn't really require any minor gains in performance I was seeing. That said, I stuck with 94 in the Camaro.

Not sure if I'll be getting any access ports... or what tuning I'll be doing to the car, at least to start out. Concerned about warranty stuff, and how anal some of the dealerships are. I am sure I'll come around eventually. And, have heard plenty of great feedback locally in regards to Cobb products among other vehicle circles. So I've definitely got my eye on those products and will continue to follow the progress :)
    COBB likes this.
  15. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

No chevron's out there? I have heard lots of horrible feedback about the Mohawk fuel.

e85/94 not the same for Chevron. No ethanol...

After the GTR comment above, I read up a little on the local GTR forums.. The common opinion seems that there is nothing above the chevron 94 in (BC) specifically... But sounds like quite a few guys ran into issues with 94 and their 91 tunes... And have stuck with the Shell 91V The only comparison I found on there between shell 91V and chevron 94 who wasnt having issues with 94 and tunes... highly favored the 94. (But it's just one guy.. who knows). I didn't like shell in my Camaro at all. But I don't know how local fuel differs from yours.. or how much different fuel can behave differently depending on what car it's in.

Others have opted to just straight up cross the border to fuel up. Skip the local selection entirely. lol

I definitely won't be crossing the border to do my fueling, unless I pick up a Nexus pass. Doubt I'll go through the trouble.
    I may try out Shell again when I get the ST if people are having better experiences with it in the ST specifically. No harm in trying/comparing.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  16. captainmorbid

We have no Chevron out here, but my interest is piqued...

And Mohawk gas is terrible...
  17. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Is this a Prius or Fiesta ST? Lol I'm loving the performance and highway mileage to work... This is my average to work as long as I stay out of boost doing about 50mph... I only use 93 octane

EvoNiner and S2r like this.
  18. speedprotege

speedprotege Member

I'm getting a little better with reg 87 than with prem 93 averaging 36-39 MPG on my 3000 mile trip
    S2r likes this.
  19. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

I might try 91 and 89 eventually. I will compare I just wanted my first few tanks to be 93. When I'm doing 55-65mph I get like 33-36 average. 45-50mph gave me this photo
  20. Noah

Noah Member

Oh Damn. Isn't 50 scary slow though if you are on the highway?
  21. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

It's not really a highway it's a 1 lane road with no traffic lights for 35 miles.....love upstate ny
    Noah likes this.