Past cars and general car talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spangenb, Jan 23, 2014.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

It's always cool to talk with other car fanatics about cool cars they have had or things they have done. Personally, my parents autocrossed a Sprite locally when I was a kid so I grew up around autox. As soon as I was old enough to drive I was on the autox course. I drove all sorts of things over the years, but this C Prepared '88 Mustang was the peak of my autox career at Topeka in 2001. uploadfromtaptalk1390527601160.jpg

Smokin and EvoNiner like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jcr557

jcr557 Member

Here's the list of cars I've owned.

1991 Suzuki Swift GT
    1991 Suzuki Swift GT
    1990 Suzuki Swift GT
    2008 Honda Civic EX
    1994 Suzuki Swift GT
    1999 Subaru Impreza RS
    1994 Toyota Celica GT
    2011 Ford Fiesta SE - Current
    2002 Ford Focus SVT
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE
    2000 Ford Focus ZX3
    2014 Subaru WRX - Current
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST - Current

johnnyquest likes this.
  4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Cool. So give me a comparison of the WRX and the FiST. I contemplated a WRX in past years but the gas mileage always stopped me from pulling the trigger.

5. level42

level42 Active Member

Here's the list of cars I've owned.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT - Current
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST - Soon

Rather uneventful car list :(

6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Well level42 maybe you are just starting your list :) Btw, is your nick a reference to the band Level 42? One of my all time favorites.

7. level42

level42 Active Member

Mhmm ... :cool:

spangenb likes this.
  8. jcr557

jcr557 Member

Overall the WRX is an amazing ride, looks awesome, great in the snow, lots of compliments, rally friendly and the list goes on and on however its not fuel economy friendly. The main reason I bought the Fiesta ST is to make it my daily driver and save on gas while getting a great performing vehicle with enough torque and power to keep me happy. People think it's just another Fiesta added to the cars I've owned (2 previous Fiestas) but when I take them for a ride, they understand the car and give plenty of compliments. I haven't taken the ST to the track yet but the handling and acceleration are up to my standards and very close to my Subaru. In my stock Subaru I ran a 13.9 in a 1/4 mile, I believe this car is a second slower.

9. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

My car list is in my signature.

To be honest, the B210 was an utter turd, but I really liked that car. I have real fond memories of it. It was baby shit orange, had about 60hp, and I had to park it facing downhill during winter so I could start it by rolling it down the street and popping the clutch.
    But man did it have personality, so lightweight, and just rewarding to drive.
    Other people must have fond memories for those cars too, I would be stopped at a light and have people roll up and ask if I was interested in selling.

10. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Wow Datsun B210 LOL. I had two 210s (not the B210, but the one right after that). The first one was a hatch, and the second was a 4-door sedan. 1.4 liter and a 2-barrel progressive carb. A buddy (parts store guy) used to work at the Datsun dealer and said they shipped them from the factory with the throttle linkage set so you could barely get into the carb secondary ... for better mileage numbers! First time I took my car to him for parts he said "watch this", reached in and yanked up on the gas pedal to bend it. We revved it up and the secondary had never been opened by the old man I got the car from, so with the tweaked gas pedal it opened ... and promptly stuck open :-( Didn't hurt anything luckily, but makes a good story. I did love both those cars. Just turned into rust buckets. Japanese steel was not the greatest back in the early '80s and probably had no galvanizing. Last of the rear drive econo imports! The 310 was their first try at FWD and it had some transmission issues. I could identity them without seeing them just by the tranny whine :)

11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Mine was a 2 door hatch and had the 1.3 engine, with a carburetor that dripped gas directly onto the exhaust headers.
    Speaking of rust, I eventually passed the car on to my dad, who had one in the 70s. Driving it back home, he said the exhaust fell off on the interstate. Another 50 miles down the road, he realized that mine was a 5 speed, not a 4 like his had been. He was cruising at 70 in 4th, in a car that had never heard of "overdrive".

12. Ronbo

Ronbo Member

My list goes back a while:

Past:
    -1959 Austin-Healey Sprite
    -1970 Mustang Mach 1
    -1969 Mustang Boss 302
    -1979 Mustang Turbo
    -1983 Alfa Romeo GTV6
    -1985 Corvette
    -1990 Miata
    -1990 Honda CRX (wife's)
    -1988 Porsche 911
    -1998 Subaru Forester (wife's)
    -2001 VW Passat 1.8T
    -2006 Miata

Current:
    -1993 Caterham 7
    -2014 Fiesta ST
    -2011 Audi S4 (wife's)

13. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

1987 Honda Prelude 2.0 Si MT
    1977 Datsun 280Z
    2006 Lexus IS 350 - Current
    2014 Fiesta ST - Current

The Fiesta brings back good memories of the Prelude. It was light and quick with a manual and FWD. I'm currently tracking both the IS and the Fiesta (soon) and they are vastly different cars. The IS is smooth and powerful but heavy.

14. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

My last car was a 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi. Although it's sitting the garage, going sell it in the spring.

Interesting how both myself and jcr557 had SS GTi's and know we're into another awesome hot-hatch.

Before that I had 1999 Ford Cougar, holy crap that was a lemon.

Then I had a 1996 F150 and before that was a 1984 Nissan 2wd pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. jcr557

jcr557 Member

Hey Marc, yea the swifts are amazing little rockets. Share some pics of your Suzuki. Where are you located? I'm interested in it.

16. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

[​IMG]
    I'm in Prince George BC, a ways away from you I think. I've seen some of your posts on Teamswift. This pic was from 2009, car had fresh paint then. Car has H&R springs, Koni shocks & Whiteline bushings & Whiteline rear sway bar. It's been my little money pit until I got my PB FiST ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spangenb likes this.
  17. jcr557

jcr557 Member

Looks nice! Yea I'm in the East Coast in Philadelphia, PA. Your about 2900 miles away from me but not that far from Washington. Shipping is doable. What is your asking price?

18. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

I'm thinking $3000, but it might be worth as much as $3500. Car has some rust as I was driving it in the winter. Back hatch has some rust and rear wheel wells are just starting to rust. Very small amount around rear wheel wells. Has new Suzuki front fenders, front and rear bumpers. Has no oil leaks and doesn't burn oil. Has about 320,000km. Unfortunately rust is the ultimate demon with these cars. Have had a couple of holes fixed in the floor, foot areas on both sides. Done the Birba gauge install, motor is stock except for under drive pulley & k&n filter.

Here's a pic of the front, taken same day as previous pic 2009

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  19. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Here's my list. My current VW Touareg TDI and FiST aren't listed. My current Jeep is the 2012, I have stupid money in it.

upload_2014-1-26_22-20-52.png
    upload_2014-1-26_22-21-21.png

I have always had a soft spot for Nissan and VAG.

Edit: Fix the table.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  20. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Wow that is a long list.

21. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

What are /were your thoughts on the Leaf?