Past cars and general car talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spangenb, Jan 23, 2014.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I knew I wanted 16" wheels based on the tires available, so I went to TireRack, selected my car, 16", and sorted by weight. The Sparco Assetto Gara was my sweet spot of weight versus cost, plus they were on clearance for $109 each at the time!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. frismanis

frismanis Member

Yeah, tire selection sucks for the 17's, but I went with the 215/40-17 Direzza's. I wanted the potenza RE-11's, and those are available in a 205/45-17, so I might try those next time.
  4. Jutz

Jutz New Member

I'm disliking the wheel selection more than the tire selection currently...

Edit: Ok, I just loaded the tire selections for both 205 and Not good.
  5. frismanis

frismanis Member

If the Ultraleggeras came in a matte gray I'd be all over them, but I don't want black on black, and the bright silver on black is not my favorite look.
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I also have been playing around and I find if i lift on the gas the car will rotate something sweet and then back on the power to pull you out ..
    Only wish the handbrake handle was a smidge longer but I will adapt... LOL
  7. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Yeah Rod my work has an awesome U-shaped entrance driveway. Every time I go to work or leave I attack that a little harder ;). I find the same thing: lift and the back steps out just right, and a little power to bring it back. I have pulled the handbrake a couple of times like "oh crap it's slipperier than I expected" when turning into my driveway and it always saves my bacon.
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Indeed this is a fun lil car.. Makes winter fun :) Our road in to the plant has a few nice places to do the same as long as you stay out of the wilderness on the other side of the banks LOL
  9. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ok digging into the archives for a few videos:

This is the CP car pictured in my original post, but about 2 years earlier before it was a dedicated autox car. Sorry for the incredibly shaky video. My buddy is driving and I am in the passenger seat at a Nelson Ledges track day. We sweep onto the back straight and grab 4th gear up toward 100 mph when he suddenly pulls to the right. I have no idea why at first, but I quickly understand LOL:

Here is the National-caliber CP car at a local event on a teeny tiny school parking lot. Still cool :)

Here is me driving a friend's C5 Z06 at a ProSolo in Michigan in 2002. My best runs for the weekend. I suck pretty bad, but the car was cool as hell :)

10. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

funny story... you posted those AutoX video's and felt inspired to search Fiesta ST AutoX... and i didnt even realize this video existed but forth video down was me racing. Enjoy folks. It was around 41 degrees outside so traction was quite limited... oh yeah my friend was video taping RIGHT next to the loud speaker.

I placed in the top ten overall, out of around 70+ cars. not to shabby for my FIRST AutoX with her. I do think she needs more bite up front, hopping new shoes will help.

Funny thing is tho, i drove that VW on a fun run and beat my time in my fiesta by 2 seconds! Granted the VW had 235's, coil overs, and engine mods.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Well done Evo :) I think you are right, the tires and especially suspension on the VW made a big difference. I am looking forward to driving my car on the 225 Direzzas and BC coilovers once the weather breaks.
  12. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

Btw, Spangenb, you look like a beast in a car... And if you finish every race clapping and hollering then your doing something right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I appreciate the vote of confidence Evo, but I was probably 3 seconds off the pace that day in the 'Vette. Sure, it was a ProSolo so there were a ton of national competitive drivers there. I was cheering in the car because I finally got a good clean run. Good for me, slow for the event LOL
  14. wash

wash Active Member

Its nice to see Fiesta ST video.

Its hard to quantify how fast you are driving when you can only compare to cars you are seeing from an entirely different perspective.

Evo, you were looking pretty fast. I think that two seconds will be pretty easy to pick up if you do 225s, light wheels, coilovers and a tune.
  15. jimlau

jimlau Member

Ooh, is this thread still a thing? I (of course) have a table of my daily drivers (in chronological order):

Year  Make    Model           L    Cyl  Spd  Trans  HP   Asp  Drive  Weight   MPG  Brand Built  lb/HP
    1988  Toyota  Corolla DX      1.6  4    3     AT    102        FWD    2390          JPN   JPN   23.4
    1988  Toyota  Celica AllTrac  2.0  4    5     MT    190 Turbo  AWD    3270          JPN   JPN   17.2
    1988  Honda   Civic Hatch     1.6  4    4     MT     70        FWD    2127          JPN   JPN   30.4
    1996  Subaru  Legacy Wagon    2.2  4    5     MT    135        AWD    2895          JPN   USA   21.4
    2001  Toyota  Corolla S       1.6  4    5     MT    125        FWD    2410          JPN   JPN   19.3
    2005  Scion   xA*             1.5  4    4     AT    108        FWD    2340   29.8   JPN   JPN   21.7
    2006  Scion   xB*             1.5  4    5     MT    103        FWD    2395   29.7   JPN   JPN   23.3
    2004  MINI    Cooper S*       1.6  4    6     MT    163 SC     FWD    2678   26.9   GBR   GBR   16.4
    2011  Ford    Fiesta SES*     1.6  4    5     MT    120        FWD    2537   38.9   USA   MEX   21.1
    2014  Ford    Fiesta ST       1.6  4    6     MT    197 Turbo  FWD    2720   33.5   USA   MEX   13.8
    *Company-owned cars
    Not listed: 1992 Honda Prelude Track/LeMons car.
    LotusZX3 likes this.
  16. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Celica all-trac? Nice :) Those are super rare. I can't believe it weighs that much though, I would have thought under 3000lbs for sure.
  17. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I had an '06 xB too. Funky little thing. Enjoyed it but not fun enough for what I was paying. Traded on the '08 Mustang ... 2x more money per month but at least 4x the fun :)
  18. jimlau

jimlau Member

Yeah, it was really trying to be a bit of a premium cruiser. Had a lot of features for 1988, and certainly wasn't light. I was just posting about this car (and pics!) on another thread: FS: Fiesta SES / Celica All Trac reminiscing

I actually enjoyed this car quite a bit, and my wife still has one. Mine was a 5-speed with fog lights and cruise control. I put a set of 16" Rota Slipstreams on it (and the Corolla, and the xA) and it was a cool looking thing, IMO. Mine was a company car, hence the decals, and she got hers lightly used for a great deal in 2007. It's got about 100k miles on it now, and still going reasonably well.

spangenb likes this.