Petition SCCA

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Smokin, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt New Member

The 2015 GTI is much improved over the previous gen- electronically controlled mechanical LSD (!!), 258 ft-lbs, front wheels 2" further forward, similar weight. I could easily see it ending up being the car to have for GS. That's the thing with Street classes, there will always be a new car that is faster than what you have. Solution: prep your car for STX where you can fix a lot of the things that hold the FiST back in GS!
    spangenb and TRev like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. TRev

TRev Member

Well said Matt!

As for Crows landing, it is a Pro which is why they have a unique PAX index and none of the other cars previously mentioned competed. It really only shows what we already suspected, that the FiST can't hang with the FoST (generally speaking especially at a Pro) but it doesn't say that about other cars in the class. As a side note, the FoST's got crushed by the FiST's at the Deven's Match Tour.

If the FoST was the only car in the class to have power and dominated the class for a couple years or going against multiple other cars (Celica, SRT4, Genesis, and GTI) with seasoned drivers dominating, I could see an argument for getting it moved next year. Moving the FoST is going to do nothing other than put another car to the top other than the FiST (my prediction would be the 14 GTI for most courses/conditions). If the FoST does get moved, you will likely see me in a GTI next year and may even if it doesn't get moved.

IMO, the FiST is a tweener car on most courses/conditions. Not fast enough for G Street but too fast for H Street. Smokin' the Mini has actually been dominating STX this year until Lance raw timed it by .3 seconds the second day of the Spring Nationals Tour (he never got a dry run on day 1 because it rained before 2nd drivers). From the data I have seen, that is the first time Wilcox had been raw timed at a National event. If the Mini can do it that does give hope for the FiST. The twins certainly aren't ruling STX this year at least where a well prepped/driven Mini has shown up.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  4. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The 2014 gti should be DS...very similar to the Mazda speed 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  5. Des

Des Active Member

I'm not ready to write off the Fiesta v Focus battle just yet. I've beaten the same Focus driver that spanked us at Crow's -- in a car with no rear bar, no trick shocks and off-brand tires.

We will keep trying bars. Koni will deliver some decent shocks. Not every national course will be that power-hungry .

Even after getting hammered at the Pro, I'm a lot more confident in the car because it finally handled the way I imagined it would when I bought it.

While the FiST may never be a Pro car, I do think it'll hang with the Focus on many courses once all is said and done.
    Mightymango and TRev like this.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

So Des, do you think the staggered tire set up is the way to go? The 235 in the front and the 205 stockers in the rear? If I can gamble with that set up at nats on the stock rims I will to save monies. (sorry slightly off topic)
  7. Des

Des Active Member

For me it was/is, but it's a BandAid until the right shocks and magic rear bar come along.

Without a doubt I would try rear pressures in the 50s to see if you like the result. If that's not enough, the OEMs at high psi would be the next step.

The 235 is about as wide as a 225 when mounted but the extra height gets you 2 to 3 mph more in second. Probably depends on whether you feel super comfortable shifting.

In the end it's about increasing grip at one end or decreasing it at the other, and there are a ton of ways to do it.
    Smokin and Slowclimb like this.
  8. conevadr

conevadr New Member

The Devens Match Tour struggled to make numbers, so there were lots of locals and others that were far from the pointy end. The fastest FoST was seven seconds off the PAX pace. A couple of the FiST drivers did well (on Rivals). But a couple other FiST drivers (including me) were a bit off the pace. My Dunlops did get a little warm in the second half of the runs. Also, this was a runway/taxiway setup that was somewhat slalom heavy. There were also a couple of spots where heavy braking was needed.

George M
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Craig is an alien and he said he spent 1/3 more than the cost of the car on mods....I can't put another $8000 on a car especially after paying for a new GTI engine...
    jimclark likes this.
  10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Dunno how much/if this affects the discussion, but I'll toss it on the table: I just returned from my trip to SLC for the ST Octane Academy (which I very highly recommend!), at which we did their "urbancross" course in both the FiST and the FoST; the timed competition portion was run with the Foci. The course had spots in which each car shined at the expense of the other, but most of the drivers clearly preferred the FoST (of course, the majority of them were FoST drivers at home, too). More revealing, perhaps, is that each of the instructors with whom I spoke (n=3) felt that the FoST was definitely the better car on that course. Now, these guys are not autocrossers specifically, but they can sure drive the hell out of those cars. Anyway, FWIW.
  11. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Interesting that is...... I asked only one of the instructors which car he preferred.I asked him when we were all running the ubrancross He qualified his answer, by saying it depended upon the purpose. ..... He said he thought the Fo was faster on the track, but liked the FiST for the urban cross, as it is a bit more lithe... my word, not his....

At the start of the Academy, when we were doing the skid car, I asked about trail braking. (same guy) .. He gave the "instructors" answer that the tires do one thing best and they would not be teaching or using that technique, .. but when the did the lead follow on the track, that's exactly what he did--- at the end of the home straight. ... I also asked him about the old rally technique---- left foot braking while accelerating out of a turn to throw the car into a four wheel drift---- would it work with these cars with the ESC on?.. .. He was too young and had never heard of the technique... (probably because all rally cars are now four wheel drive) ... He said that we would not be doing using both pedals at the same time ...... .. but for my final urban cross run, its what I did to tighten up my line around the figure eight (I've been practicing that for nearly 25 years)... and I wound up third in the class....
  12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I used the handbrake...
    xorpheous likes this.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Apparently you are now...I see you're going FoST in the Nats and with Jones.....

BTW, the Colorado Nats this weekend once again showed how they do not belong in G-Street....
  14. Mightymango

I actually had a lot of people talking about it at my local events the last couple weeks as to how it should be bumped up. These are people that run in DS not GS and that do not drive a Fiesta.

They complemented Trevor's driving but they still said the car is way over classed for GS.
  15. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

I still think it's too early to have this conversation. There are no dampers for our car yet. The optimal tire set up is not clear. Ford could come out with crash bolts. A lot could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Couldahadav8

Has Trevor run against Adam barber's srt4?

17. Mightymango

Barber hasn't been driving the SRT4 this year. He is co-driving a 89 Civic SI in STC. He drove that at spring nats and I would assume being that is all he has been driving he will do the same at Nats.
  18. Couldahadav8

I think I saw that. It would be a good comparison between those 2 cars given the high skill level of both drivers.

19. Des

Des Active Member

Toledo Pro: Former Nats GS champ in SRT-4 in first, a tenth ahead of Trevor in a Focus. National champ in Celica about 1.3 seconds back. No Fiestas.

I'm sure Trev will report in, but he didn't leave much on the table.
  20. Mightymango

STF Results from Toledo. I honestly think I'm going to get my ass kicked at Nats....DFL for me.

T 1 91 Jonathan Rogers 2005 Dodge* SRT4 ACR Bl BFGoodr RT/60ft
    33.484 32.451 32.448 32.142 32.285 32.089 49.652
    33.679 32.362 RL 34.548(1) 32.310 32.790
    T 2 7 Trevor Jones 2014 Ford* Focus ST Whi Multi RT/60ft
    32.891 32.816 32.291 RL 32.022 32.753 49.770
    34.018 33.413 RL 32.666 32.571 32.531 (0.153)
    T 3 73 Gordon Maciulewi 2013 Ford* Focus ST Yel BFGoodr RT/60ft
    45.005(0,1) 33.660 32.845 33.089 32.368 32.546 50.245
    33.812 35.410(1) 39.595(3) 33.184 32.801 33.150 (0.616)
    T 4 18 Tim Carritte 2012 Mini* Cooper Red Dunlop* RT/60ft
    33.816 33.550 33.523 33.510 33.355 33.252 50.860
    RL 33.893 33.592 33.407 33.145 RL (0.803)
    T 5 82 Michael Moran 2003 Toyota Celica GT W Hankook RT/60ft
    33.836 33.130 33.125 32.866 33.802 34.865(1) 50.900
    34.276 33.670 RL 33.453 33.279 33.152 (0.052)
    6 92 Joe Blaha 2014 Ford* Focus ST Blu Hankook RT/60ft
    33.069 33.090 33.049 33.197 32.869 32.952 50.927
    35.613(1) 33.798 33.561 33.184 33.280 33.352 (0.035)
    7 182 andy thomas 2003 Toyota celica whit Hankook RT/60ft
    33.860 33.231 RL 33.245 33.080 RL 50.962
    34.065 33.694 33.776 35.675(1) 33.231 33.018 (0.045)
  21. Des

Des Active Member

No guarantees on where you'll finish :) but I've never seen a Nats course that favors power in the way some Pro courses do. Apparently this one was pretty much all throttle, which may account for where Moran ended up.