Petition SCCA

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Smokin, Jun 2, 2014.

1. TRev

TRev Member

Congratulations to Jonathan on his win! He was mowing down the tree and tearing it up on the course! I managed to narrow the gap enough to .153 on Sunday and make it into the Super Challenge. They paired Jonathan and I up against each other. We both cut mid 500 lights. He was on the left course and I on the right. The right course was about .3 seconds slower for both of us. I managed to come in with about a .6 second lead considering the course difference. We swapped sides and unfortunately Jonathan red lit which is the last thing I wanted to see. Hopefully we will get a chance to dual it out again in the future!

I like analyzing numbers. Removing our reaction times, the difference in total time on course was only .011 between the two of us. I had the slight advantage but a .737 light on the right side on my fastest run cost me the win. I have heard mention from other FoST owners about inconsistent reaction times possibly due to the flap that hangs down below the front fascia. I did not experience that at Lincoln but it seems I may have at Toledo. I know the SCCA has multiple sets of equipment so maybe the height is slightly different in the gear used at Lincoln vs Toledo? It sucks that we cannot add a flapper to a street class car. I probably will write a letter and bring it up at the Town Hall meeting. The other simple option would be to allow us to trim that piece minimally as needed to prevent the issue. A 1/2 inch would probably do it and not provide any other advantage. I see that as the largest weakness of the FoST so far.

I previously mentioned that the SRT4 was a threat along with the Genesis Coupe. This event shows the SRT4 is a capable contender to the FoST. The Celica previously beating Strano in his FoST at a Pro (.3x margin) is another event showing the Celica as a contender. In talking with Andy the owner, they feel it is course dependent and want the Focus to stay as it is also helping build numbers in the class. Here is a another data point to add:

2012 SCCA Solo National Championship
    RTR National Champ - Keeley (2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 2.0t) - 113.131
    RTF National Camp - Barber (2005 SRT4 ACR) – 113.313

Both G Stock street tire indexes. A .182 advantage to the Genesis Coupe. So at least at a Solo the Genesis can hang with the SRT4.

Adding some of these data points up leads me to believe we have at least three other cars that have shown they are capable of VERY similar performance, i.e. SRT4, Genesis Coupe, and Celica.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah, but if I plan on the worst everything else is good.

I'm going to run your idea on set up on the front with the Federals in the 235 with the rears bumped up. Mainly doing this because my ZIIs will be shot by nationals. I've been running my kart to save on tires (and it is really damn fun) but it is only a matter of time.

Honestly I love my car....but I may just have to "focus" on something else if I want to be competitive nationally. We shall see how next year pans out with all the changes that normally happen in the off season.
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  4. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

August Fast Track response to suggestions to consider move of FoST:
    "The SEB does not anticipate making significant classing changes within the new Street category, or within Street R
    (known in 2013 as Stock), prior to the 2014 Solo Nationals. The intent is to utilize the provisions of 3.2 only to correct
    significant errors or oversights in the listings."
    Pretty much the expected response. Doesn't even suggest likelihood of any particular move, but leaves door open.
  5. eRic

eRic Active Member

here is the rest of the not recommended section in street.
    Not Recommended

#14124 Case for +/- 1/2

Per the SAC: while increasing Street category wheel widths by 1/2” would help AP1 S2000’s owners find a less expensive

wheel, it would also effectively increase competition costs by making other car owners buy expensive custom wheels.

#14189, 14249 Focus ST move to DS

Please see the response to letter #14228.

#14214 Fiesta ST Move to HS Proposal

Please see the response to letter #14228.

#14228 Focus ST Move to DS Proposal

The SEB does not anticipate making significant classing changes within the new Street category, or within Street R (known in

2013 as Stock), prior to the 2014 Solo Nationals. The intent is to utilize the provisions of 3.2 only to correct significant errors or

oversights in the listings.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I saw that writing about moving the Fiesta to HS....huh? That would be a class overdog like the FoST is currently in GS.
  7. limbo

limbo Active Member

I don't know that I'd call it an overdog there either. The base minis are pretty quick, usually with times on par to GS.

I'm still waiting on nationals to call the FoST an overdog in GS. With some national champs in a celica and Volvo S60R, it will be interesting to watch for sure.
    Smokin likes this.
  8. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member will be a very fun class to watch. I just can't see the FiST going down to HS, but you are right those base minis can be quick.
    Smokin likes this.
  9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I would raw time myself in my Fiesta if I was driving my Mini...that car was easy to set up and would do whatever you wanted it to.
  10. Des

Des Active Member

I think we can expect a bit of shuffling; I've heard several different proposals, including one that includes moving slower DS cars to GS, and second-tier GS cars to HS. But agree that nats is the key data.
  11. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

IMHO if I could run with the MINIs with my 1995 Audi 90 Quattro the FiST has no business being in HS as it would be an overdog. IMHO HS/GS are pretty good as is with the exception of the FoST which is not just dominant but also passes the DS "duck" test with its similarities with the vehicles already there.
    jasyatz, jimclark and Smokin like this.
  12. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

A lot of that is the 10 plus years of development on real setups for the Mini. Mine had FSDs and a rear bar and could run GS trophy times on Hoosiers. When the Konis finally get released and some more time is spent (collective think tank on this forum) discussing what ifs and trying different things, it will come around.

I got my first ride in a FiST this past event and wow it gets from A to B in a hurry. Needs a ton of work to get more front bite though, turn in feel and urgency is lacking, big time. But I think GS is the right spot for it, The FoST not much.
    Couldahadav8 likes this.
  13. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I got a little seat time in a FoST last weekend (and about 6 other cars), and I was very disappointed. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but aside from accelerating like crazy, it was enough of a handful that I didn't enjoy it at all. It took a lot of steering input to make it through the course. The one I drove had a stock suspension and we were on a pretty bumpy lot.

The acceleration is an order of magnitude better than the FiST though. The FoST does a great job of putting the power down.
    Smokin likes this.
  14. madhatter

madhatter New Member

^that. Every bit of it.

FoST on an autocross course feels like a bull in a china shop.
    Smokin likes this.