Possible ST Competitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Applejack, Nov 20, 2014.

1. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Dad, let's go 100mph! Maroon 1978 280z...fun car...and here we are now...a little 1.6 turbo crushes that car...onward and upward!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Oh yeah, Toyota...I remember doing one tire burnouts in my friend's 1978 Celica...lol

4. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Love the RoadKill 208Z.
    [​IMG]

5. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Stove pipe!!! Ha!

6. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Love the patina....mammories, in the corner of my mind.....

7. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

If you never have watched RoadKill, on the MotorTrend You Tube channel, I highly recommend it! That would be my dream job.

8. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Out of touch with that show, but I will certainly give it a look...RoadKill...Ya!

9. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

When you search "Hammer pants", this thread is the only one to come up. I feel my work is done here.

10. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Ha ha ha...go on brother! We've all been touched here tonight....lmao

11. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

:biglaugh:

12. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

That's right...:woot:

13. The Duke

The Duke Member

14. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

The only high performance 4 cylinder engine Toyota made and was a nice try was the Celica GT-S 1.8L . The GT-S was powered by the 2ZZ-GE engine rated at 180 bhp (134 kW; 182 PS) at 7600 rpm and 133 lb·ft (180 N·m) torque at 6800 rpm. I test drove one of these cars when they first came out back in the early 2000's and wasn't too impressed. All of the power was at the redline 8200rpm and the car was completely gutless below 4000rpm. I remember going around a corner at about 30km/hr in 2nd gear and punching the gas and a whole lot of nothing happen. You do the same in a FiST and it will put your head into the back of the seat. What ultimately turned me away from the Celica GT-S was the fact all the performance was at the upper threshold of the rpm range and down low the car felt like it was wheezing and out of breath.

15. Tokendog

Tokendog Member

While I never drove that particular car, I have owned and driven quite a few of the 90s sports cars. Few of them were what we'd call strong or powerful by today's standards. That's likely the reason most of them were considered great platforms for engine swaps or turbo upgrades as time went on and the platform became well known for what it did bring to table. Perhaps that was just the bar that had been set for that particular time period of cars...and if that's the case, the turbo MR2 / MR2, along with the Celica, would be considered the equivalent of today's 4 cylinders but adjusted for the performance standards of that time. Just an opinion.

16. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

InsTwin likes this.
  17. Tokendog

Tokendog Member

Having personally owned that gen MR2, I can say it's absolutely a Toyota performance car and is on another level in comparison to the Fist. The Fist is more powerful and newer, but the Toyota was an amazing car for it's time and is still highly sought after today. I'd reckon 9/10 people would choose the MR2 over the Fist every time, if you could buy both new right now (and assume they are within the same price range). However, that's another point, the MR2 MSRP was something like 17-18k back in the early 90s which with inflation makes it much more expensive than today's FiST. For example, 19k back in 1990 is about 30k today.

18. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

I'd toss my FiST aside in a heartbeat for a mint SW20 turbo. I'd die very soon after, but I'd die happy (and backwards).

Firesail and Tokendog like this.
  19. Tokendog

Tokendog Member

Yeah I am sitting here regretting selling mine. I bought a 1993 MR2 NA that was a one owner (older lady who was the original buyer, never drove it out of the city she lived in all of her life). Had 90k miles on it and was 20+ years old. So what is that? 4500-5000 miles a year? No issues at all. She had every single service record all the way back to the first oil change and it had everything the dealership said needed to be done, done, and done on time. I really wish I hadn't sold that car. :(