Potenzas in the snow, and TPMS sensors on snow tires

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by RevinRed302, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RevinRed302

RevinRed302 Member

Alright. Ive had a frustrating couple days trying to make a plan for my first Wisconsin winter in the new FiST. Im looking int snow tires, but im super cheep so that is a big hurtle to jump over. The cheapest used sets are coming without TPMS sensors which means I would need to buy and install them, then calibrate every time I switch wheels out.

So here is the question. to I NEED TPMS sensors in my snow tires for my car to function, and if I do and I decide to say screw it for the winter, will I crash and die trying to drive through the snow on the stock Potnezas that came with the car? Thanks for the help
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

If you don't mind the sensor light on the dash all the time... Then no you don't have to have the sensor. Summer tires in the snow is a death wish... Assuming you could get the car going in the first place. 15 inch steelies and winter tires is cheaper than a crash. You spread the wear between two sets of tires so the economy is still there.
  4. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

You don't NEED the TPMS, but you will DIE if you go with the Potenzas in the snow. I have learned to tune out the idiot light in my cluster.
  5. timboslice

timboslice Active Member

True dat. A few hundred bucks for some some decent tires and winter rims or potentially thousands in collision damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Jzimms

Jzimms New Member

For the love of God don't try them in the snow! I lasted only until November before I could take the risk in PA, and I'm pretty sure your falls are worse than my winters. Tire rack has some good A/S for less than $50/.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  7. Ripterry

Ripterry Member

I can definitely tell you from experience that you NEED to get something other than the Potenzas. I got my FiST in December and have been too broke to get anything different. It was a lot of terrifying driving until spring finally rolled around. I couldn't even get up the most mild inclines with those tires.
  8. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

I got some junkyard 15" Focus rims and the Hankook W409s. They're brilliant winter tires, and do great for rallycross, too. Didn't bother with the sensors.
    Ripterry likes this.
  9. ElSantoSt

ElSantoSt New Member

What is the smalles wheel size that you can use in the fiesta st? There is a set of 15" steel wheels with snow tires out of a regular fiesta. I'm not very familiar with stuff about the fiesta, but in my focus svt anything under 16" won't clear the front brakes.
  10. Ripterry

Ripterry Member

Though I don't have them, tire rack has a package deal for the FiST and they are 15" steel wheels. I asked about winter tires and stuff last December and I was told that 15" is fine.
  11. eRic

eRic Active Member

the spare wheel is 15x6 with a 185/60-15 tire so you know that fits.