powdercoat stock wheels

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by pappi16, May 1, 2014.

1. pappi16

pappi16 New Member

Hello all,
    Wanted to get some wheels for my molten orange FiST, but coming from a s2000 its shocking how little options we have in regards to wheels. I feel the only way to get a good fit, and unique look is probably going custom wheels (looking at fifteen52). But can't justify the price on those wheels with a FiST.

So i've decided to stick with OEM wheels for the next year or two and just powdercoat them over the winter season. I'm just having a real hard time trying to find a rim color that suits the molten orange!

i saw this photoshop of a green envy st and actually liked it

wondering what thoughts you guys have on what color powdercoating (solid of even two colors like the above pic) would look nice on a molten orange.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

Why not plastidip instead? Cheaper than powdercoat and if you decide you don't like it, just peel it off an try a different shade.
  4. wash

wash Active Member

Well, you might want to give plasti-dip a shot, you could try several shades before you spend enough to pay for powder coating (unless you've got the powder coating gear at your disposal).

Color is a personal preference but some things clash.

Just off the top of my head, a really dark blueberry color might go well but I usually go conservative so something in the black-gray range would probably be my choice.
  5. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Does plastidip come in gloss?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  6. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

7. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I did black Plastidip on both the stock wheels and the 16" wheels I use for my autocross/winter tires. I left it flat so I don't worry about brake dust at all. I get LOTS of compliments on it. Super easy, cheap and easy to remove if I change my mind later.
  8. stuntdoogie

Would it come off by going through carwashes?

9. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

Nope. There's a couple guys in the SCCA that have plastidipped their rims and the look god event after event. Stays on until you peel it off yourself. It is susceptible to rock chipping just like paint, but that's it.
  10. stuntdoogie

Hmmm, may go platidip route than powdercoating. I got a quote for $280 to powdercoat my wheels in black gloss but they charge $100 to unmount and remount and balance tires.

11. Drifter

Drifter Member

What??? Madness!!!
  12. xorpheous

xorpheous Member

No need to unmount the tires to plastidip. Just mask off the tire and spray the wheel.
  13. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Don't bother masking the tire. The Plastidip falls off the tire in a couple days. I went through all the trouble the first time only to realize it was unnecessary. Just pop the center caps out, unless you want them covered as well.
    stuntdoogie and xorpheous like this.

SICKESSS-ST Member

I have been thinking about platidipping mine, the pic looks nice. I would recommend black with the orange detail like the pic. If I were doing it on mine I would go black with the white detail.
  15. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

SICKESSS-ST Member

Those look badass!!!!! That would be my first choice but plastic dip is cheaper so I'll probably go that route until I get 18s on her.
  17. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Thanks! Don't get me wrong, in some cases PlastiDip is probably better, especially when you're not sure you want to live with that color 'forever'. I would highly recommend that once you find that a color works for you, save up enough to do the full powder coat. I had the luxury of having my stock rims to use while these were in for coating, then I took them to America's Tire (Discount Tire) and had the rubber mounted, balanced, and put on the car for $19 a wheel (I had also pre-bought the wheel sensors from Steve at Tasca). Good luck, and We can't wait to see what you end up with!
    SICKESSS-ST likes this.

SICKESSS-ST Member

You're welcome! Yeah, that's an issue for me, I don't know if I should go with black or white rims, so I'll try plastidip and see how they look and then make a decision.
  19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Black will look cleaner for longer .. Remember I said "look" cleaner the factory brakes make short work of any clean wheel no matter the color. But lighter colors will show more sooner .. Here plastic dip might be a cheap way to find out

SICKESSS-ST Member

Yep, that is a huge pain in the rear, and one of the main reasons to go black. I will post pics once I make up my mind and get it done.
  21. stuntdoogie

Tires were mounted after the coating? Machine didnt scratch the coating?