Quaife ATB Differential

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by PCA-1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PCA-1

PCA-1 Active Member

Putting together an order for the Quaife ATB differential for the Fist IB6 transmission.. List is $1081.50. To get a worthy discount, there has to be 6 members ready to buy. The differentials will be manufactured by Quaife in the UK and shipped to the NA distributor, then drop shipped to you. Figure 6-8 weeks.

Take a moment to read this.

Perfect Circle Autosport customers with Focus ST's have fitted Quaife ATB differentials. They have experienced increased forward traction and a solid reduction of steering wheel snatch for quicker suspension set, traction and speed in curves. The Quaife and TVC do not work against one another.

I am not going to knock TVC, but it cannot replicate the Quaife ATB's performance. The most obvious tell TVC is not a full on performance solution, is the ST's system "anticipates" inner wheel spin, through the combination of wheel speed, steering angle, and an algorithm. Brakes are pulsed in "anticipation" of wheel spin. The Quaife works independent of wheel speed and steering angle, progressively transferring torque load full time.

For reference, the lifetime warranty is honored only for Quaife differentials sold through the North American distributor. So if you buy a differential outside of the USA, for use in the USA, you have no warranty. When registering your differential for the warranty, the serial number is required. Quaife keeps track of the unit serial numbers sold throughout the world. As such, only NA serial unit differentials are warrantied/serviced here in the USA. Just want to be clear as with certain manufacturers, North America will have exclusive selling rights, and only warranty parts here. There are businesses outside of North America that will sell to anyone, irregardless of the warranty details.

Let me know if you want in for spring delivery! Pm here, contact here, or call 507-721-3141

RodMoe likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Silly question but if TVC hits the break on the inside wheel... what would be the advantage of more toque going to that wheel with the diff? It seems like they in fact do work against each other.

4. PCA-1

PCA-1 Active Member

Torque is biased to the wheel with the least resistance. In a curve, that would be the outside wheel. TVC attempts to simulate what the Quaife ATB does, however the Quaife acts like a pendulum, constantly biasing torque. For instance, TVC does not engage unless threshold inputs for steering angle and wheel speed are reached. As such, TVC will not work in a straight line whereas the Quaife is always biasing torque, irrelevant to steering angle and wheel speed.

TVC has to slow down the inside wheel to work. The Quaife doesn't slow anything down. Biasing torque all the time results in better traction, in all conditions, with the exception of wheel lift, which for a FWD car is least likely.

5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Although I put a Quaife in my Mini and loved it.
    This is something I have decided not to do with this car.
    I will now wait to see how the RS develops.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

Firesail likes this.
  6. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

I'd love to do this but it'll be quite a while before I can scrape up the cash, and I'd like to see how the car does once it's on some decent tires before I decide if an LSD is even necessary.

7. joe@2j-racing

joe@2j-racing Active Member

I cant emphasis enough the importance of this diff. On the track, all the Fiesta did was spin its inside tire in tight sweepers and quick transitions. There is absolutely no sub for a diff on the track but a DIFF. I probably lost at least a full second at AMP due to the open diff.

8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more.
    However when the car is the daily driver and track time is only for fun.
    That is a lot of money.
    So this is just not high on the list right now.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I just inverted my list after seeing that inside wheel spin on the on ramp of a hi-way .. Oh wait i had it high on my list anyway .. That's what makes the world go round ;)

PCA-1 likes this.
  10. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It's expensive, but I'm going to get one. I'd really prefer a clutch type setup. This one seems firmly entrenched, and our only choice.

PCA-1 likes this.
  11. Has anyone bought this LSD yet?

12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I probably won't until after I hit over 250 WHP

Dave

13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Maybe

Removed likes this.
  14. wash

wash Active Member

There may be a superior alternative at some point.

The technology exists, it just remains to be seen if the manufacturer will make something that can bolt up.

Ford recently made a Fiesta RS concept car. It would be silly for them to add power without addressing traction.

I've got my fingers crossed but not for a Quaife.

15. c-not-k

c-not-k New Member

Like RodMoe, I've had my share of wheelspin, and I still have a stock tune. I'm coming from an Audi S4, so I really miss the traction coming out of corners. A Quaife is now on my shopping list.

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

It is going in this week just had to wait on a axle seal I forgot to order ahead of time as you pretty much distroy the current one taking it out to check the diff preload via the shim.. Used to measureing them with feeler gauges this one required a dial indicator but it all worked out.. Ford did not list the bearing or the Seals for this car yet so I had to source the bearings from the UK and the seals from a MFG number and cross ref'd it till i found a few and ordered them up.. the first one showed up today and looks like a winner just waiting for the rest so I can compare then will install seal and put the transmission back in the car .. here is a linky to my thread..

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Also while it is out I added a little color
    [​IMG]

18. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Hey RodMoe, that all looks great!

Your photos were fantastic, too. It looks like you have this installation down nicely! Want to install mine? ;)

Also, I'm sorry about that GT/CS (newer 2011?). I'm guessing that kissing a wall was involved there. :/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Sure bring it over and leave the keyFob ;) LOL The Transmission is sitting back in the car it went in real easy too. now just fill it up with lube and vacuum fill the radiator tomorrow and just about ready for a road test..
    Yes the 2007 dropped a tire on a first lap of practice with the instructor in the car So add in cold tire and cold damp track he over corrected and it snapped back and went backwards and sideways into the tire barrier ..Give him credit they tech his car for saftey and he finished the day without anymore off track forays ;)

20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

So a update after the install and a few test drives (weather was cool and damp on my Mich pilot super sport A/S3 with great wet/cold traction)... All I can say is WOW this should have been a factory Option... where it shines is IN the corner where the car would start to push or slide out.. It just GRABS and rabbits off in the direction you have it pointed .. Gotta learn do drive it this way now as it is not what I am used to.. most times the insaide tire would lift and spin a lil bit not anymore .. While not sure it is worth the cost to everyone but I am more than happy with the results and hope in the future they offer a factory option for those that want it...
    Shout out to PCA-1 for hooking me up with the Quaife Unit... very nice and fun too...

21. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Based on my own experience with both types of differentials (clutch type & gear type torque-sensing) I'd recommend the gear type any day. The downside of the clutch type is that they are designed to start slipping after a certain amount of torque is applied. In addition, the "limited slip" feature gradually becomes unlimited slip as the clutches wear.

Firesail, Sekred and RodMoe like this.