Question for those who autocross regularly

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Cligedy, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

To those who remove the spare tire and jack at events, has your jack tie-down been damaged? The threaded rod on mine is hard to start the threads because the rod is bent about 1 1/2" up. I didn't think much about it until I parked next to another FiST at an autocross and his was bent in the same way. Just curious if this has happened to others.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. madhatter

madhatter New Member

i've not encountered that yet. there are 2 holes though. is it possible that yours was threaded into the wrong one, and then the spare tie down was threaded into the other, bending the first? just a WAG of course, but i've not run into this on mine yet, and i've done more than a couple events and had the spare out for weighing, etc more times still.

4. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Mine is bent too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. eRic

eRic Active Member

mine is also bent. I think it happened when I had the jack positioned wrong when I dropped the spare in and that tweaked the rod.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

The jack/tire setup seems poorly thought out.

7. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Mine is bent, and I know of another not mentioned here that also is bent. I don't even bother to try to screw it in; I just place the jack in a more or less acceptable position, knowing I'll need to get the spare tie-down threaded, and try to place the spare in so as not to move it around, and then secure the spare with the jack tie-down bolt.

8. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Good to know. It's weird that something like this bothers me, but it's good to know that it's not just me being reckless or something like that. Thanks!

9. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

The damn spare is hard as hell to get out. Maybe that is what does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Bent mine too, need to get a new one.

11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I picked up a donut spare from a pre-'12 Focus from a local yard so I can use all the space under the floor. That caused me to make a new hold down from all-thread rod, a wingnut, and a jam nut. Still not a very tidy setup with how the jack sits in there, but the spare comes out much easier :)

12. F1ST

F1ST Member

FYI as it is somewhat related.
    I have a set of 17" autocross wheels. I use either a full size autox wheel as a spare or a stock wheel as a spare depending on what is on the car at the time. This way I don't have to carry all 4 wheels to the basement between autox sessions. When I put my full size wheel in as a spare it goes face down, then i just put the jack wrapped in some padding and a quart of oil in the backside of the larger wheel.
    To hold the 17" spare down i use the short threaded rod that came holding down the jack with the plastic cone that held the original spare down.

13. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Mine is not bent but the tire itself is a pain in the ass to remove.

Cligedy and k757 like this.
  14. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I wonder if there is an easy way to make the spare tire less of a pain to get in and out? Like maybe a layer of butcher paper or something so it's not metal on rubber. If I'm going to pull the thing out 15- 20 times a year, then easier is definitely better.

15. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Mine is bent too. Well, it was, as I straightened it once, but it will likely get bent again.

16. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I like the idea. Led me to think of an old nylon poncho as a possible friction reducer--cutting a swath from that to place between well and spare, with hole for tie-down to pass through. I want something thin so fit isn't further complicated, and that might fit the bill.

17. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I'm just about the at the point of not having the spare in there during auto-x season. I tend to have my other wheels in the car with a good jack and an impact most of the time anyway.