Quick map change AP V3

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by Tom Brooks, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Tom Brooks

Tom Brooks Member

Cobb, when are you coming out with this for the Fiesta ST? Please bump this up on the priority list with your engineers. Not only is it very annoying to have to turn off your car and reflash your ECU to switch maps, but it is also bad that it resets some of the radio settings each time.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. COBB

COBB Active Member

We are working on this! What maps are you currently switching between so frequently? The 5 way "map" switching is actually a quick tuning table change function. This means it isn't switching between complete maps, but switching between major tuning tables to quickly change boost, timing, fuel, launch control limiters, etc.

Ian

4. Tom Brooks

Tom Brooks Member

Thanks for the reply Ian. I find the most used situations for me are between the economy map and the stage 1 91 octane map. I use my car as a commuter and it is not currently feasible to switch between these 2 maps while transitioning between interstate and side roads. You have to turn off the car and re-flash ecu of course.

5. COBB

COBB Active Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback! While cruising on the freeway, there shouldn't be much difference between the Eco map and Stage 1. In both cases, you'll be at a steady state with AFR near stoich or slightly leaner for optimal efficiency. So, there might not be much benefit to switching if you're using it like that.

Ian

6. mossdahaus

mossdahaus Member

I think he was stating that as soon as he leaves the interstate onto city streets, it would be nice to utilize the low boost (and whatever else) settings of the economy map. I know I sure would love to see this combination!

7. Tom Brooks

Tom Brooks Member

OK... that's a good point. However, I guess I have two additional points. If the Fiesta ST is kind of the latest and greatest thing on the block so to speak, one would think the Fiesta ST would be getting the newer R&D tools first before the Focus ST or definitely not much after the Focus ST gets them. One could also make the argument that the Fiesta ST should be getting the tools before the Focus based on the fact the rally circuit has even dropped the Focus and put the Fiesta in front as their car of choice going forward. I guess I'm a little surprised that the Focus is even getting this much attention over the Fiesta at this point. But maybe my assumptions are biased here. The 2'nd point is that out of convenience regardless if I'm on the interstate or not. It would be really cool to be able to switch maps on the fly. I could see even economode around town back and forth to the store or dropping off the kids, then switching on the fly back to a 91 map for more back road or in between spirited driving.

-Thanks for the reply!

8. wash

wash Active Member

This functionality sounds good.

I would use it to change from my street tune to race gas when I can get a tank at the track and valet mode so I don't hand it over to a parking lot monkey set to kill.

One thing I think I would tweak and change on the fly is throttle response, on-off feels fun but for a race I think I would like it a little more linear than in the Cobb 91 tune feels to me.

9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This is VARY important.
    I used to be one of those parking lot monkeys back in the sixties.
    You can't imagine all of the high performance cars I got to test.

Dave

10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Hmmm like a Buick Wildcat and a Delmont 98. Oh and the mile long Caddies as well as the big finned Chryslers ;) lol

11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yeah, all of those.
    And like Bill Cosby's Cobra.

Dave

Firesail likes this.
  12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

With all the PIPES lol cool

13. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

You mean the 1000hp one that scared the shit out of him that he tells a story about returning to Carroll Shelby because it was too goddamn crazy?

14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

He didn't give it back.

Dave

15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

That was a cool album :)

16. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Bill Cosby lied to me?

Childhood ruined! Lol

Next thing I know you'll tell me he didn't really actually like Jell-O pudding

Zib zop
    Zubop