Quick Shift

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Removed

Removed Guest

That's the Mountune kit. The shorter/quicker shifting is the purpose/benefit... anything to shave 1/10th of a second. But mostly, people do it for the feel. I prefer a shorter shift and will eventually install one of these.

There might be other reasons but that's what I've always been told...

4. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I've put a 1000 miles on mine in a week and this might possibly be the best mod/upgrade I've ever made on a vehicle. The shifts are crisp and the reach (between 2-3, 3-4, and especially 4-5) is perfect.

RodMoe likes this.
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

It's worth the effort to install !!!

Firesail likes this.
  6. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

Having driven a car with a short throw shifter for years when I drove the Fiesta ST, the stock shifter was the only think I didn't like about it. For me it's feel and quick shifting when I do accelerate fast.

But you really should master shifting in general before a short shifter will show you any quick shifting benefit. You still have to be able to use your feet and hand together to let off the gas, push in then clutch pedal, shift, let off the clutch and give it some gas. That has to be done as quickly as you can for quick shifting. According to your other thread you're still not real good at it.

7. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

I'm getting better and better every day

8. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

How long for the installation ? Any special tools or skill set required ?
    I'm not very "handy" lol

9. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

10. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

I installed mine the first night I had the car. Took all told about 30 minutes. The space is quite cramped.:eek: I had a small ratcheting allen wrench to tighten the bolt that comes up through the bottom, otherwise the rest of the hand tools are readily available regular tools. The included puller is to remove the stock stud and then fit the new part. That bolt goes through the hole that the original stud came out of. The results are more than worth the efforts.:D

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I ended up taking my battery and battery box out just so I could see better but if you have the right size wrench and a bit of patients it's not that difficult just tight working space for someone with meaty hands lol

12. eRic

eRic Active Member

13. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Active Member

You guys will love this mod!! :cool:

14. golfhack

golfhack Member

It's my next one!

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

15. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I just finished installing the Mountune quick-shift kit and I love shift feel afterwards. But the installation was not easy. The supplied instructions don't reflect the difficulty of accessing the area where the shift lever is located and only partially describe the list of things that must be removed for access. Maybe they had the engine removed. :D The kit would have been over-priced at $75, but the $250 asking price is ridiculous. I felt stupid buying it, but I did anyhow.

It was not technically difficult to install. It was just so damn hard to get at everything. If you have multiple elbows on each arm, that would help. A six- year old child's hands might be useful, too. There are wires and wire bundles, hoses, tubes, the aforementioned battery, the CPU and it's connectors, and various sensors and brackets obstructing the way and ready to gouge your hands.

After you've finally gotten the stock ball-connector removed, the supplied socket-head bolt must be installed from under the shift lever, and it fits into a recess that prohibits gripping the bolt head with your fingers. I didn't remove the battery, but I was giving it serious thought. You should allocate at least 2-3 hours for the task, and you'll want the engine cool when you're working.

For tools, you'll need:
    A ball-end 5mm hex wrench for starting the bolt, the longer, the better (at least 5").
    A very short 5mm hex wrench is also useful for final tightening (no room to swing the long one).
    A 2.5mm hex wrench, short.
    A Torx style wrench set (for the air filter removal, not one of Ford's better ideas).
    Several large wrenches for use on the removal tool (13/16" or 24mm).
    Plus the various more common tools, screwdrivers, etc.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    RodMoe likes this.
  16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup pretty much sums up the install it is a bonding exercise with your car for sure .. Once in though like stated well worth it ...

17. Sekred

Sekred Active Member

I have fitted this kit myself and agree there is not a lot of room to work.
    A few tips, you need 2, 24 mm spanners to remove the OEM ball stud from the shift lever. I disconnect a wiring plug from a sensor on the vacuum tubing and carefully move wires and tubing out of the way and use string to tie them out of the way. I remove the reverse light switch which gets in the way when you tighten the 5mm hex bolt that holds the new shifter unit to the shifter arm. You will need a 22mm spanner.
    I also used a spanner and a 5mm hex bit instead of a hex wrench, see images. I removed the air box only.

Attached Files:

18. fifoci

fifoci New Member

What is the point in a quick shift for this car if it has a delay in te clutch and throttle????

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

IT allows the operator to select a gear quicker and it reduces shifter lever throw(aka travel) that the operator experiences while changing gears though it may require a smidge more effort to select said gear position from the driver because with the quick shift you do give up some leverage but the trade off is worth it IMHO.. Like most MODs it is a personal thing whether you enjoy it or not...

20. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

There is no delay in the clutch and the throttle.
    I'm not sure where you got that notion. Or maybe I misunderstand you...

21. fifoci

fifoci New Member

There most definitely is. When you stab the throttle the car takes a second to respond. Same when you flat shift or shift fast it feels like the computer takes over and slowly reopens the throttle plate. Also, when you shift fast you can feel you foot come off the the clutch pedal and the pedal slowly returns.

I do not have my ST in my possession yet, Its on order, But I did test drive one and I drove the Piss out of it. Fun car, Just didnt like how the throttle and clutch pedal had a delay in it.