Quick Shift

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

It is a shame that you had to go through this reddog.
    I too am waiting for things to happen but also keep getting told SOON.

For others that may need to put the stock shifter back together.
    Of course a press is best but a bench vice will also do.
    A small piece of hardwood between the ball and the jaws will protect the ball surface.

Dave

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Dave, A bench vise??? Did you manage to remove the lever from the transmission?

4. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I did not remove mine as it works just fine.

As per the service manual.
    After removing the air cleaner assy. and battery tray.
    You can remove the complete shifter assy. by only removing two bolts.

Dave

5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I just had another thought (these sometimes get me in trouble).

Why not put a washer between the shifter lever and the Mountune part?
    Wouldn't this cause the new ball pin to be on a slight tilt pulling it away from any obstruction?

Dave

6. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

"As per the service manual".
    Well, I just went to Helm to look and they have it in stock! I had signed up to be notified when they got them in, but they never did tell me, the stinkers. I'll need to order one.

Taking the lever off the tranny would certainly have made the whole operation less of an ordeal. I wish I had known before. But then I wouldn't have been able to feel like a martyr. :joyful:

The washer idea might work if it was placed just right. If Mountune didn't come up with a proper solution, that would be worth trying.

7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Helm didn't notify me either.
    I just went to their site at end of November and it was there.

As for the washer, it should be placed on the screw coming up from underneath and then the Mountune part set on top of it.

Dave

8. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The washer would have to be offset from that screw (towards the driver side) or it would just raise up the whole assembly. Or the washer could be shaped as a wedge to accomplish the tilt as you envisioned. All in all, it's a kind of a hack.

In hindsight, the Mountune part is a hack, too. The part was just designed wrong. From looking at their web site, it looks like Mountune used the same shift kit for both the Fiesta & the Focus, which appears to be the root cause for the mess. They just didn't look at it close enough.

9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I see your point.
    I little wedge with a hole to be put in the same place (it shouldn't take much).
    I am sure they will figure it out soon.

The problem may be that a batch of the Mountune parts were out of tolerance as this problem is not effecting everyone.
    You know they had this part in the UK long before we got it and I don't remember ever hearing of an issue.

Dave

10. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Mountune claims that the problem cropped up "recently", and told me that I was not the first, that it had happened in Europe, too. With what I've learned from this experience, I could fabricate my own part. It's just a chunk of aluminum with three tapped holes. I'm sure my part could work as good as theirs does(n't). :D

This darn web site is acting up on me again. I have to refresh the page every single time I want to post...

11. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Thinking about your idea here, the aluminum chunk could be machined with the wedge shape. The top surface would be at an angle to the bottom surface to move the ball away from the other shift lever.

Now thinking some more, that would probably reduce the shortening effect.
    Too much thinking...
    Bending that other lever might be the best solution.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Bending might not be as easy as we thought.

[​IMG]

Dave

13. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Dave is this the Helms Manual you speak of ??
    LINKY
    Service and Owner Information
    > Ford > 2014 > Fiesta
    2014 Fiesta Service Information CD-ROM
    Price: $170.00

14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yes, it the DVD.

Dave

15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Thank You Sir.. dumb question .. is it worth the coin ??

16. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Only to someone that will use it.

Dave

RodMoe likes this.
  17. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The part to bend would be the thin (vertical) metal lever with the ball, not the cast part.
    Even though I played with it for hours, I didn't realize how large that cast lever is. It looks like the left end is a counterweight?

18. MGORDON

MGORDON New Member

Has there been any update from the manufacturer about if they have or are going to change the product design?

19. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Got a Email from Mountune USA that my updated part was shipping out on or around the 23 of Dec 2013. Once i get it i will post up my observations and pics of course..

20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This is great to hear.

Dave

21. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Looking forward to hearing how the new part works. The Mountune shift kit is high on my list of things to do to the ST. A different shifter is usually one of the first mods to my cars, more so for SVT products since they took care of the power and suspension for me :)