Quick Shift

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by mcummings182, Nov 4, 2013.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

New Part is installed and works and fits like factory only with a tighter shifter feel than factory but if ifeels the same as the old Quick Shift block i took out and replaced with this one :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There you can see the new and old parts the Fix was rather Easy once i took the shift select out of the transmission[​IMG]

Here is the OLD block installed and then the NEW (note i did file some metal material away to make the old one work somewhat better but you get the idea of how close the arm is to the nylon shift cable end)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Reinstall took about a hr or so it could have been fast if i had a heated garage but working in the sub Zero degF temp motivates one to keep moving LOL i had to remove the air intake and the battery box to allow me to rotate the shift selector out. it was only held in by the two bolts and went together very easy.. Not for the Faint of heart mind you and i would not have done it this way without the Helms Ford Manual (Thanks for the Tip Dave) Hope this helps
    Here is a overview of the before with air box and first air tube out as well as battery and battery box out...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bryramos, mrtn and Sekred like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Sekred

Sekred Active Member

Excellent work rod. Do Mountune still claim a 30% reduction with the new part?.

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Thanks I have not heard any different from them. So when they open back up maybe they will let us know.. I'll fire off a thank you note and ask ;)

5. Removed

Removed Guest

Good to know.

6. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Great photos Rodmoe! It's easy to see what the original problem was in those views.
    As for the throw reduction, it's not 30% anymore (obviously), but I'm not going to try to guess what it it.

OK, I lied. :rolleyes: I'm going to guess 25%. Anyone else want to try?

RodMoe likes this.
  7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I was going to guess about 25% as well.
    Still better than stock.

Dave

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

It feels pretty close to what it was before the updated part .. Maybe a smidge different but it's all good ..,

9. Sekred

Sekred Active Member

If the old quick shift was exactly 30% reduction, then I'm estimating that the new quick shift is around 21%-22%.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  10. frismanis

frismanis Member

Just ordered the Kit from Mountune. Hopefully they are shipping the new and improved version.

11. Ken@mountune

Ken@mountune Active Member

The revised Quickshifts have replaced the original version so all orders since late December have been the latest type. Thanks

RodMoe likes this.
  12. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

Oh damnit Ken, now I will want to order one. lol

spangenb and mrtn like this.
  13. frismanis

frismanis Member

Great! Thanks for chiming in. :cool:

14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I am curious as to why the original unit worked on some cars and not on others.
    Did Ford change a part?

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

What I was told From them at Mountune USA

CarefreeAZ likes this.
  16. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I am curious as to why the original unit worked on some cars and not on others.
    Did Ford change a part?
    Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.
    Dave

What I was told from them at Mountune USA:
    We've just noticed the same issue on a few cars in the EU as well. Vehicle build tolerance / change of parts as the cars are built could be the issue and we have updated the design of our Quickshift to work with this.
    RodMoe

Well, that would help explain why mine works smoothly (knock on wood).

17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yup seems the early builds got Lucky ;)

18. Ken@mountune

Ken@mountune Active Member

It was to the point that you could remove a problematic shifter from one and install it on a car sitting next to it and it would be fine.
    It could be the gearboxes are supplied by different assembly plants or Ford changed the manufacturing tolerance. The issue is behind
    us now. Thank you.

19. Sekred

Sekred Active Member

Trolling the internet I found this quick shift made by a German company called RH-RENNTECHNIK. Look familiar?.
    Quick shift 2.jpg

20. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

Looks like a rebadged Mountune part? hehehe

21. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

The price is no better, it has to be imported, and if it isn't an actual Mountune part, then it most likely has the same interference problem they had. :(