Race Car Prep Challenges

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST EcoBoost™ Tuning' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 10, 2015.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

My new wheels fit!! They fit my bigger discs, and clear my new brake ducts!

I ditched the fog lights in favor of a pair of cooling ducts. I'll get a shot of that soon, too.

Chuckable and djdennehy like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 Member

Does this mean you are sticking with 17s? I may have missed it, what wheels are those? I like the color and style a lot.

With the bigger rotors and the same sized calipers, what's the advantage? Heat dissipation? Is there a Miata solution for brakes with smaller wheels? Your build has my brain wondering some things! Thanks for the updates!
  4. McRib 1s Back

Actually, this is my 4th set of wheels! I really like my 15s and 16s with race rubber -- especially the 15s on BFG R1s! If you don't go with bigger brakes, then 15s rock.

Regarding your Miata, I'm sure you can find something! That car has an incredible aftermarket!

It's better for heat dissipation and total stopping power. It's true -- just using the same caliper with a bigger rotor provides better braking force.
  5. McRib 1s Back

...oh yeah those are the "Tire Rack" house wheels. 17x7 4x108 and only 14.5 pounds each! A few companies are using ordinary cast methods, but doing a "spun wheel" process to shave weight. Only the more agile, smaller companies are into this now. Axis comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure they are the OEM for Tire Rack! ;)

These are pretty much lighter than any other 17" wheel that does not use the same process. I'm pretty excited about them!
  6. McRib 1s Back

One clarification here -- that weight savings claim is based on my previous battery, which is an Optima Deep Cycle "Yellow Top". I imagine this is a few pounds heavier than stock, but don't have that reference point handy. Suffice it to say, this is a LOT lighter than an OEM battery. That "Yellow Top" is pretty good, and probably lasts a couple years with infrequent starting (say once or twice a month).

This new battery has a discharge rate that is FIVE TIMES slower. This is like a true AGM (I have one of those in my Wrangler!). The big difference here is that the LiFePO4 battery chemistry makes it so much lighter with similar discharge characteristics. I think my battery is six pounds, and the nine pound version easily cranks up the 800+ HP LS3 race engine for the Formula D car! Time after time, it rocks. It's been the only battery for the season. We think this battery will last longer than a regular deep cycle battery, too. We'll see.

Anyhow, would I have moved the battery if I knew I was going with a much lighter battery? I don't know, but can say the clearance you gain in the bay makes it worth it. Consider how much wrenching around you'll do, and it not packing so much into a cramped space is a pretty big deal, right? You also gain the better weight distribution either way. I know I'm still one of the heaviest "single components" in the car, but it's good to save weight anywhere you can! Speaking of that, I also had the Sparco Evo II (US) lowered a couple more inches. I have to get used to driving "tank commander" style again...
    CrookedRacer likes this.
  7. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Detailed pictures of your brake ducts, please. :)
  8. Chuckable

Chuckable Member

I was excited to see them too! . . right up until I read that the center caps won't fit on the rear :mad: But for a race car, who cares!
  9. McRib 1s Back

If you zoom in, on the wheel shot, you can see it! :p

Okay, I'll get some of those too. :)
  10. McRib 1s Back

Oh yeah, good point -- and no center caps for race cars! Also, I actually painted my axle end-caps black. You really can't even tell it's missing...
  11. McRib 1s Back

Did someone say something about wanting brake cooling duct photos? :)

CrookedRacer likes this.
  12. McRib 1s Back

I had to break the photos apart due to size limitations, but here's the business end of it!
    CrookedRacer and KKaWing like this.
  13. McRib 1s Back

Until I have a meaningful update on the ECU, I'll move future updates over to the more appropriate "Road Racing" section, linked below.

WRC Fan, or another moderator, feel free to move this thread if you think that's best.

Building a FiST For Road Racing with MotoIQ