Radar detector: Valentine 1 or Passport 9500ix?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by johnnyquest, Nov 9, 2013.

1. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

I haven't owned a radar detector in a while. I'm thinking I should probably get one for my new molten orange FiST that I'm picking up in a few weeks...it doesn't exactly blend in with the Camry's and Accords out there.

I've heard great things about the V1, but the last time a car rag did a comparison test was several years ago. The Passport has the GPS based learning feature, which seems like a great idea...if it works. The V1 gives you a signal count and direction.

Do you own a radar detector? Have any of you had one or both of these? Is the V1 still the best? Is there a third alternative that perhaps I haven't considered?

JQ

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Inquiring minds wanna know!

4. brian

brian Member

I'm a big supporter of the V1. I've had mine for about 10 years now and once you have the bogey counter, and the arrows, you'll wonder why all radar detectors don't have this feature. Also, the V1 is upgradable so when they update the software you can send it in instead of having to buy a new one, or live with an outdated device.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    johnnyquest likes this.
  5. eRic

eRic Active Member

valentine one is the best and they don't try to sell you a new model every six months. also get a c6 visor mounting bracket from great lakes trophies.

johnnyquest likes this.
  6. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

eRic, does that visor mount work on the Fiesta? Is that what you're using? I really like that rear-view mirror mount, looks really slick.

JQ

7. ST_Rocky

ST_Rocky Member

I had the older 9500i - read that as truly HAD one. Seeing as some jerk decided to bash in my driver's side door glass to steal it while parked at work in broad daylight! And I work at a government support center (TSA, FBI, etc) that is supposedly secure!

I once had the V1 too, in my R32, but that got stolen some years back near Christmas. Funny, had it in my cars for years in SoCal. Not 1 year in the Dallas area, and stolen?

Words of hard learned wisdom! No matter which one you get:

NEVER leave the suction cups or power cord in sight! They will think you were lazy enough to hide it somewhere in your car.

Never take it out to put in the trunk, as they DO watch parking lots! So that don't help either!

Now as to which is better? Both have their merits. I used the GPS part of the 9500i to mark speed traps and cameras. The newer one lets you download updated reported locations.

The V1 has the arrows, which helps. But does not have the GPS, nor shows you the # of active radars in the area.

Both have new, cool Bluetooth connected apps for Android phones that help a lot!

And lastly, the laser warning works, but pretty much to tell you time to pull over, cause you have been "tagged", and just wait for your ticket.

8. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

Dude, sorry to hear this! El Sucko! That's pretty ballsy to break into your car in broad daylight like that. I hope your insurance company is taking care of things for you. I will definitely take this under advisement when I get my new detector. If you were going to replace the one that was stolen, would you go V1 or Passport?

JQ

9. eRic

eRic Active Member

the bracket works in the Focus and Fiesta with some modification. file down some of the plastic on the visor clip where the mount goes between the visor clip and the headliner.

johnnyquest likes this.
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

It once was illegal to use radar detectors in California, then that was changed.
    I, at that time had a Passport 9500i and it was great.
    Now both LAPD and CHP use laser.
    The beam is so narrow with laser that if your detector picks it up, they got you anyway.

Dave

11. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

So in other words radar detectors are useless today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

In my area that is pretty much true.
    However not all law enforcement has laser yet so it would depend on where you are.

Dave

13. brian

brian Member

My V1 "saves" me several times each year. Many police departments still use radar (vs laser). It's important to note that a radar detector won't make you invisible. They are only a tool. The state police here have airplanes where they time you between 2 spots on the road and can calculate your speed. No radar will save you from that.

johnnyquest likes this.
  14. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

Yeah I've read this before and in the past only had a laser detected a couple of times...either false alarms or lucky bounces from traffic in front of me. If you're out in the open and they put the beam right on you then you're pretty much screwed. I'm hoping for a reflection, and if I'm by myself on an open road then I'll just have to be extra vigilant and try to keep my down to mostly the posted limit. Mostly...

15. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

Yeah brian I've had CHP get me and my friends on our motorcycles on our way back to Tucson from San Diego using aircraft. We were up in the mountains, running maybe 15 over, at the bottom before heading out to the desert was every CHP vehicle I've ever seen with their lights on, pulling everyone over...cars, trucks, bikes...

I'm more interested in having a detector just to be aware of my surroundings, I'm not looking for a way to drive 140 mph everywhere I go. But if I'm running 15 over with the flow of traffic in my bright orange pocket rocket and the detector goes off, then at least I have a chance at not getting pulled over.

16. brian

brian Member

I find my detector most useful "in town" where you might be going 32 in a 25. Or when you're on a empty road posted at 45 and you come into a town where the cops hide in the bushes behind the 35 mpg sign.

johnnyquest likes this.
  17. brian

brian Member

I know that feeling! I received a driving award on the Ducati the 3rd day I had it out this summer via airplane. I fought it and lost. I'm convinced that if you get a airplane ticket in Ashland county in Ohio, the judge will rule against you no matter how good of a case you make. I learned something from the experience though (I learned where the speed zone is!).

Honestly, one of the biggest reasons I don't want a orange ST, is because it'll stand out so much in traffic.

LuvfiestaST likes this.
  18. johnnyquest

johnnyquest Member

brian, I just had to consult the map, but there's a very good chance I might be moving the fam to your neck of the woods. My wife's family moved there because that's where my brother-in-law lives. They live in Clinton but he is from Wadsworth. Guzzi's and Duc's get along together pretty well...

19. brian

brian Member

I was raised in north canton, now live sw of Akron in Barberton. I can show you some local roads. The better ones start a little south of here. Southern Ohio is where it's at though. Send me a pm when it's time and I'll help out as much as I can.

johnnyquest likes this.
  20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

False alarms are also another problem I have.
    Living in a megopolis, I am always driving by airports.
    They also put up a lot of those speed signs that tell you how fast you are going.
    Those things work on radar, so the detector is constantly going off.

Dave

21. brian

brian Member

With the V1, you can program it. For example, we have those signs on the highway that tell you travel time to "x". Those are radar based and there's a radar about every mile. You can tell the V1 to not alert on that band, or not beep till it reaches a certain strength.

http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp