Realistic dyno numbers for stage 3 And custom tune

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by 15pbfist, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

The Cobb dyno is notorious for reading high. Nothing against them, but no one using a dyno other than theirs (short of this example) has ever reported making anything close. Again, it's just a tool for measuring gains anyways and shouldn't really be used as a comparison.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

Well, if you know anything about all of this then you know that once you make physical changes to the engine the estimated torque reading becomes incorrect. If you're so bent on proving your DynoJet numbers then by all means-post your graphs. And again, I'm not calling your tuner because I could care less-I'm not the one trying to prove whatever it is you think you're trying to prove.

Stop being so defensive, jeez. Nobody is going to win the internet here.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    BRGT350 likes this.
  4. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

So I know this is an old post but I'd like to correct this: Ethanol is not very corrosive at all. In older cars converted to e85 the "corrosion" that destroys their fuel system is actually the alcohol CLEANING all the old gunk off their lines left from gasoline. If their lines are old like in a 10-20 year old car the soft lines probably were deteriorating anyway clogging the fuel filter and the lines themselves.

Methanol on the other hand is significantly more corrosive that ethanol. However, I was reading some people find better success with using almost pure water systems since the latent heat of vaporization of water is so high it really helps to keep cylinder temperatures under control a lot more than the methanol does. Edit: slight amount of research later and the methanol's job is strictly as an anti-freeze and anti-biological agent.

5. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Anybody that states Ethanol is corrosive to modern fuel systems either has never ran Ethanol and/or has literally no idea what they are talking about.

6. 15pbfist

15pbfist Member

Looking further into the water methanol injection the methanol is the anti freezing agent second but firstly it is the combustible achieving optimum anti-detonation effect. The water provides the primary cooling effect due to its great density and high heat absorption. You can just wiki it also. Not calling you a liar or trying to start an argument but I find it hard to believe that just water will get you better performanse results.

7. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

For sure, I personally have no experience with it. It is just my interpretation of what I have read vs how I understand the world works. I am going to try both when the day comes and see what my car likes better. I'll of course say I'll post results but realistically I probably won't lol.

8. 15pbfist

15pbfist Member

I didn't know what I was talking about now after reading more into it it was the wrong sentince to use I should have stated is why is our fuel system not flex fuel and is there any harm done to our car using the e30 or whatever mix you are using

9. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

It isn't flex fuel because Ford didn't want to put the extra electronics and parts into our car to test to see how much ethanol is in the fuel then have to tune the car to run on various ethanol blends. It's not a failing of the fuel system's component's ability to handle the alcohol but rather the Ford Engineers and Accounting Departments choice to try and keep costs down but fun up.

15pbfist likes this.
  10. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

I haven't laughed so hard in so long. Thank you. Nearly fell off the bench.

fredw90 likes this.
  11. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Actually fords do flex fuel with the 02 sensor now, not a ethanol sensor. So we have all the stuff, the code path is just turned off in the ECU.

12. ryst

ryst Active Member

Do they guess the ethanol content based on the AFR readings compared to the fuel/air that is measured into the combustion mixture? How does this voodoo magic work without an ethanol sensor?

13. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

It does it by fuel trims via 02 sensor feedback. A lot of newer cars that have wideband AFR-Target fueling do Flex Fuel this way now because of cost, packaging and dependability.

14. ryst

ryst Active Member

But there is still a flex fuel sensor that senses the ethanol content of the fuel, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Nope. It does it by looking at fuel trims via 02 sensor feedback and adjusting accordingly.

16. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I wonder if there is a flex-fuel enabled ECU from the same family as the FiST that would allow a FiST map put on it while retaining the flex-fuel functionality.

17. 15pbfist

15pbfist Member

Ok so just got tuned the other day bottom is ots 93 Cobb middle is deadhook custom and top is deadhook custom with water/meth

Attached Files:

18. felopr

felopr New Member

good numbers

19. 15pbfist

15pbfist Member

Plenty happy but big turbo is needed
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodMoe and Dylanc like this.