Rear sway bar, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, May 12, 2014.

1. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I love the car, drove it around 30 miles, my wife a bit more, delivery guys to NV the most, 293 miles on the clock and modding like made. I just finished porting the exhaust manifold in prep for a bigger turbo, not huge, driveable but much more power. Big IC is getting the ends welded on, 3" DP and exhaust I built going back on now, custom intake build starting today or tomorrow, will have all suspension bushings in black race compound, rear engine mount from Cobb, making my own short shifter, installing LSD, rebored the hubs to run 15x9 4x100, 13 lbs wheels, have to roll the fenders, a lot, BBK in the works for the 15" wheels, rear of car gutted to deaden and make into a doggy qtrs, 8lb battery to the rear, 2 qt window washer there as well, fog light delete for brake ducts, oil cooler......at least an SM car which I have built a few of......I thought I really would do very little to this car.....after all these years I should know myself better:)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

It's still too early to tell for sure because drivers and conditions are large variables. The only conclusion I've come to so far is that it's probably one of the best street class cars in the rain. Hopefully I can get in a few dry events sometime to see how it works in the dry (of the four events I've ran 2 were all wet and 2 were wet but drying).

4. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

So... no sway bar for you?

5. k757

k757 Active Member

This.
    Last event, I paxed 2nd of 94 including beating multiple past national champs. I'm pretty good but haven't paxed as well as this ever before

6. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

WOW! Do you think it's you or the car?:)

7. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

The car is easy to drive which IMHO brings out the best in the driver :). At our last event I PAXed 1 of 111, over 0.5 secs ahead of second overall and 1.3 sec ahead of 2nd place in the PAX class. This is with multiple national champs in the mix but as I have won two ProSolo championships it might not be as remarkable as if a newcomer had done it.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  8. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Point taken.

9. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I am going to have to sort out all the changes before I can decide on sway bars it seems, stiffer springs, coilovers, more rear camber I am sure, much wider wheels and tires, LSD......

10. k757

k757 Active Member

I hope a good mix of both

mongoose221 likes this.
  11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

The ones off my 2011 GTI. Model number 80-2859SPORT.
    I would imagine they are the same as in the pictures on the set-up thread since they have been around forever...

12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Right.

Pictures?

13. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Well, I had a seriously awesome time driving the FiST (and other cars) at our T&T yesterday.

I know this is not the auto-x results thread but I can say that I felt a difference with the rear bar compared to without. The rear bar made it feel more planted and gave greater confidence in grip. Without, it didn't have a good of a planted feel, but it still felt fantastic. I would say it would be a choice of feel more then anything else.

I drove a Mazda 2 that won the DC ProSolo in STF and in the corners the Fiesta didn't feel any worse, it just had more body roll then the Mazda 2.

Needless to say, my plans for Nats have changed completely, the evo will be staying home....the FiST in GS will be an awesome time in Lincoln.

14. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Which rear sway bar are you using?

15. Mightymango

Just the eibach which as far as I have been told is legal even though it mounts differently then what people typically consider a rear sway bar.

16. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I spoke to Doug Gill on the phone about the Eibach bar and he said it is legal so no issues there.

I'm still on the fence about the bar. I think it may help in transitions but the car is so planted in sweepers I'm afraid it will hurt there, especially in the wet. What do you think?

17. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Fwiw, it doesn't look difficult to disconnect. Just something to keep in mind in case of rain.

18. Mightymango

It is 6 bolts, 4 on the bar and one on each of the shocks. You need two jacks to do it at the event, one to lift the car and one to push up on the shock to get it out of the way.

The car in the sweepers feels good and in the wet with the bar I was lifting the inner rear tire (this is with the bar and ZII tires) We had two S transition turns this weekend and it stayed planted under full throttle turning right to left in 2nd.

19. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Ok, I've ordered one. Are there any issues with muffler clearance I need to be aware of? I have an event this weekend and I'd like to install it Saturday if possible.

Mightymango likes this.
  20. Mightymango

No, no issues with the stock. I'm going to be running a different exhaust as that is allowed for GS as it will follow the original path so it should be ok there as well with non-stock exhaust. I can take pictures of how it looks if you all would like to see it.

21. Mightymango

Let me know what you think. I have no complaints about it here. This weekend the ambient temp was 72 for a high with no clouds, the course was blacktop with a 250 foot concrete length for slalom.

You can get an idea here : https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...2!3m1!1s0x87f7cca022382f57:0x8a1367c25cf2eda2

The dark black area is a wet skid which isn't used but various courses and paths are designed around the rest. I have video in-car as well.