Reducing Weight For Track Days

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 24, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally agree -- the race seats and the roll cage go together. I was just commenting that I wouldn't swap my seat for that seat (and the only reason to swap my seat would be to get a race harness). No difference of opinion from me.

I also want to add that I don't currently have an issue staying planted in these seats. They're easily the most supportive I've had. My knees, especially the left one, gets bruised every track day. I need to focus on bracing the dead pedal more, or something!

You piqued my curiousity about this CG-Lock. It's new to me and I've already started reading about them!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Have you pulled all but one of your speakers out like chevy did on the new Z28? what about taking that silly rear wiper and motor off .. Oh wait how bout a CF hatch now that be cool ... LOL just kidding but I am thinking about looking at what is in the doors...
    ronnie karlen likes this.
  4. McRib 1s Back

Ha, the speakers! That was something I was saving for when I tackled the doors. I'm willing to bet the door speakers are pretty light (at least the sound that comes out of them supports that!). Oh, I think I found a tiny sub-woofer, too. There are some pretty exposed wires and what appears to be a rubber gasket for a speaker (or possibly my fuel pump!). I'll explore more later. Either way, I threw a section of outdoor carpet over that to avoid smashing them.

The opening of this thread mentioned the wiper/motor. That's Dave's idea, and one I like. I don't think I'd miss that.

If you make me a CF hatch, I'd gladly run it! :p
  5. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

I'd love to do a half cage and seats, but the Fiesta is my daily and I love the butt warmers too much. Maybe some day especially since the back seat is pretty tiny anyhow. It does get pricey between a cage, 2 real seats (i.e. not the eBay ones), good harnesses, etc. And I'm guessing that finding adapters for the rails wouldn't be easy. That was the one really nice thing about the M3 - tons of aftermarket support.

Anyway, the CG-Lock is awesome for $50. The Recaro seat is awesome as is, add that and it's pretty much perfect considering it's an OE seat. They seem like a silly little thing, but they really do work. They offer (I'd say) 75% of what race seats do as far as holding you in place and they go in and out so easily. They do great keeping you light on the controls. For the price I don't think you can beat them. End of infomercial :)
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ya I had the icky subs in the doors on my mustang as well as did the wiper delete on more than one car i had.. As for speakers I agree they may not be worth the effort till ya take off the door panels but then you are borderline because Racecar LOL I hear ya on the hatch but If I amy it it would look like nothing anyone would want on there car just cuz i gotz mad fab skilz NOT lol

Not a lot of weight but ditch the hood for a 4-5 lb hood from Ice Nine that is their single layer race hood so you will need pins to hold it but they claim the stock hood in in the 22ish lb range. If money is no object that is..
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  7. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

I pulled the speakers and radio out of my M3. It was ok for to and from the track - I just used rhapsody and some headphones. But for a daily I think you'd miss the radio...or at least I would.

For the weight that saves I'll just do a few hundred more meters on my rower and skip a bedtime snack.
  8. McRib 1s Back

There are plenty of Fiesta race cars overseas (and quickly gaining steam here); we won't have any problem getting rails for the race seats.

Anyhow, that problem is at least many weeks away for me! ;)
  9. wash

wash Active Member

Look at some of the R2 stuff.

The battery is a nice weight saver. Or go Lithium Iron Phosphate.

If you disassemble the front end, I'm sure you can find a bunch of brackets to replace with aluminum or delete, holes to drill, bolts to shorten and nuts to replace with 12 point.
  10. Purepump

Purepump Member

This is my 3 door on the weight scale. Emptied fuel tank, spares out, tools out, Forge intercooler, decat, center & rear mufflers replaced with straight pipe. Our specs are a little different with cloth Recaro interior etc. but just as a reference as I'm a firm believer in less weight is more. Took over 230kg off my Euro E36 M3 to show for my dedication on this.

Attached Files:

11. Purepump

Purepump Member

Without the deadweight at the back the rear is even more lively and overall the car is bumpier. Tried to remove the rear seatbacks before the event but with concerns over safety of my children who rides daily at the back I finally decided not to. Will the handling become worse with even less weight sitting on the rear axle? Will try with a lower tire pressure to see if any compensation can be made.

Battery was an easy one in the M3 but with a modern car I'm not so sure how heavy all the gadgetry and ECUs relies on it. Otherwise the Odyssey PC680 is a nice all round pick or more extreme products out there. The plus side is that it sits up front where weight removal is not all that easy. Washer fluid can be another. I've had the fogs replaced with ductings for the brakes and intake but they weigh next to nothing.

This topic is really about how far you are willing to go to sacrifice the daily comfort and what the car is mainly used for.
  12. Purepump

Purepump Member

Very interesting. 16" tires are far and between here. What's out there for 15"? Tireack suggest 205/55/15 but choices are also very limited.
  13. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

I went with 205/50/15. Good number of choices in that size. NT01, R888, Rivals, just to name a few. It's 1.3% shorter than stock so it's going to give a touch more acceleration and hurt a tiny bit in top end, but 1.3% is really in the noise.

As for batteries, I put a Braille lightweight battery in my M3, but really until you are stripping the interior and making the car a dedicated (or nearly dedicated) track car it hardly seems worth the trouble. The lightweight batteries aren't going to be happy starting in the cold and won't do well running the accessories without the engine running. And the battery is near the firewall so it's not like it's slung out at the far ends skewing the weight distribution.

Proper carbon hood and trunk would be nice, but they've gotta look stock because I'm not going to run around all Fast n Furious in my daily driver.
  14. Purepump

Purepump Member

Yes I've looked around after posting, 1.3% is alright and Dunlop makes ZII in 205/50/15 so it's all good. You guys are clearing the stock brake setup without issues with the Sparco and OZ offerings?

PC680 handled my E36 fine with multiple start ups and runs. But to be fair it had no air no sound no aux fan no OBC no OBDII no ABS but some extra gauges so there aren't that many things using up power. On the FiST I don't dare to go this path, there are still plenty more to go. There was a post on Lexan windows which should do well with the framed doors unlike the E36 coupe, but the weight savings aren't significant to justify the cost despite shaving kilos from up top. With an already light car relatively speaking, more power that gets properly put down to the road seem to be what's needed more?
  15. wash

wash Active Member

Well the battery isn't powering those systems unless the alternator dies so I would be more than confident with the pc680. It only has to crank over a little 1.6 and the weight loss is probably more than a carbon fiber hood that needs pins to hold it in and with paint probably costs 5+ times as much.

Its easy, its in the right place, its not terribly expensive and the weight loss is significant. I'm going to replace my battery soon.
  16. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

How are the mounting provisions? I had a bit of trouble getting the Braille battery in my M3 mounted in a way I was happy with because there just wasn't a good way to mount it.
  17. McRib 1s Back

Hey Wash, I totally agree with you. In fact, I was just looking at the TireRack "On Track" magazine last night! :)

They offer a 6,9, and 12 pound replacement battery. I'm a fan of Odyssey batteries and recently put an AGM unit in my Jeep (I actually added weight since the goal was long discharge rate. Two years between full discharge cycles!).

I'm calling TireRack to order some pads and rotors for my T-REG TDI, and I'll add the lightest battery it will accept. It's a small gamble, but I think it's worth it.
  18. McRib 1s Back

Oh this is easy to fix -- buy another FiST for track days and keep your current DD, too! Then move to SOCAL and you won't need to worry about cold start issues. Problem solved, happy to help. :)
  19. McRib 1s Back

How does your car run without cats? Check engine lights? How does it sound? Are you getting any noise restriction problems? I'd imagine that even with our turbo helping quell the noise, it's awfully loud. Do you have any noise test results? I'm afraid it might be too loud for our local tracks.

What tuning are you running?

1150KG, that's impressive. For the rest of us American folk, that's 2535 pounds. :)

I'm very encouraged by that number! Do you have your starting number? That would make this a bit more interesting.
  20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

If I recall I think our rear doors and bigger crash bumpers add about 130ish lbs give or take.. over the svelt 3 door
  21. wash

wash Active Member

The Fiesta R2 kit has everything you need to install the pc680, there are a couple places that sell the pieces individually so you don't have to spend ~$30k for the whole thing.