Reducing Weight For Track Days

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 24, 2014.

1. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Where can you buy R2 parts?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I heard a similar figure, but recall that part of the weight was due to our full-sized spare and associated hardware. I don't plan to mess around with the bumpers, but I can see reducing the weight of the rear doors.
  4. wash

wash Active Member

5. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

6. wash

wash Active Member

There is a price list PDF floating around. If you look a little you will find it.
  7. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Here it is - Fiesta R2.pdf

A lot of the prices are more reasonable than I would have expected. However I think at least up front the parts are meant for a basic Fiesta, not the ST.

I am curious about the brake kit. It doesn't include new calipers so perhaps the rotors and pads would fit the ST caliper setup? Might be worth asking about.
    late apex likes this.
  8. wash

wash Active Member

The EcoBoost engine is based on the same Sigma architecture as the standard 1.6.

I believe the battery is the same from base to ST, that part should fit.

The cage is the real deal but I'm not sure if the door panels are for the 5 door or only 3 door.

There is lots of stuff that will work or could be adapted and as you said, prices are not horrible as real race car parts go.
  9. Purepump

Purepump Member

The decat was done altogether with the straight pipes so I can only speak for the whole system. Check engine light went on with the only error code coming out squarely from the cat. On track at WOT it really goes. The sound is much the same as the MRT exhaust (check their youtube vids) but guys at pitlane said its rather quiet comparing with other straight piped cars on the track (AE92 Toyota Levin for one). On the street I'm plain embarrassing myself.

I'm on Bluefin and managed a 6.68sec 0-62mph measured by G-Tech Pro. We don't have any strips here so just treat that as a mere reference. Lets see if I can get another stock car on the scale and comeback to ya ^^
  10. Purepump

Purepump Member

What will be the worse case scenario if the battery eventually runs out? Do modern cars' ECUs and stuffs need a constant feed of power? On my E36 all I have to do is make the engine start and thats it, no fuss. So if the down sides are minimal this could well be my next step together with 15" Sparcos providing they do clear the stock brakes.
  11. wash

wash Active Member

Batteries die and modern automotive electronics are designed to handle that gracefully.

The worst I would expect is losing time, radio presets and MFT settings which is annoying but not horrible.

That battery is not only light weight, it has a reputation for reliable service with reports of units lasting a decade in some cases.

Its not even terribly expensive to replace, if it lasts as long as people say, it will only be a little more expensive than standard OEM style.
  12. McRib 1s Back

I've become a big fan of high-quality aftermarket batteries. OEM batteries fit a very wide range of conditions, but they are clearly not focused on lightweight, deep discharge, slow discharge, or anything along those lines. It's just a "pretty good battery". Even OEM batteries can only be expected to last about five years.

Anyhow, I especially do this on any vehicle I take off-road (Jeeps and bikes). As an aside, I do NOT like Optima any longer. My recent experience has been a let down and epitomizes the worst of cheaping out / cutting corners. This is sad since the brand built its name on quality.
  13. McRib 1s Back

Update: Removed rear wiper assembly and motor!

It saves about TWO POUNDS. While that is disappointing, it's still something. :)
  14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Did you get the washer fluid bottle as well? (that's the rest of it).

I don't recall but did you remove your Antenna to reduce drag?

15. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I'd be careful with this. The car already has a lot of roll with right hand off camber turns and removing weight on that side could make it dangerously worse. Just a caution.
  16. McRib 1s Back

Kept the main reservoir and the antenna will stay until the end. :)
  17. McRib 1s Back

Even in race trim I'll probably always have a passenger seat. It would be fine without it -- corner weight balancing!
  18. McRib 1s Back

...I'm running Mountune springs right now, but I'll be installing new coilovers in a week or so (not BC, but yes, I did buy those also). I'll have new camber plates and will setup my corner weights and go through the new alignment process again, then. Since this isn't connected to the other threads about alignment, camber, or suspension, I just wanted to clear that up here.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  19. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Which coils? Why not the BC's?

And I didn't know there were camber plates for the Fiesta. I'd love to know more!
  20. McRib 1s Back

Okay, fair enough -- I should take this to another thread. I'll create it soon.
  21. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Looking forward to it. I was about to buy the camber bolts, but if there's an alternative...