Reducing Weight For Track Days

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Mar 24, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

Also, you should buy the camber bolts now -- and the coilovers later. Those bolts are a very economical upgrade! Just get one pair for the upper bolt (can't recommend running two sets). It makes a huge difference; ask anyone that has them.

4. Purepump

Purepump Member

H&R camber bolts on but could only muster 2.2x degrees of negative camber up front.

5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Remember to drain your battery.
    Less electrons equals less weight.

Dave

Firesail and k757 like this.
  6. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Can I just crank the bolts to max camber or should I go ahead and install them and get the car re-aligned?

7. The Duke

The Duke Member

Don't forget to lighten the driver!

8. McRib 1s Back

Yes, max setting. You should get it aligned right away -- have them set max camber while you're in the seat. It won't be a big difference, but I think it's a nice touch.

9. McRib 1s Back

Right! Take a look at the drivers at the top-level of any motorsport and you'll see these guys (and gals!) are legitimate athletes. I'm very aware of my weight, and admit that I have a few pounds to shed (but not too much!). :)

10. wash

wash Active Member

I think I'm close to as fit as John Force.

I'm an athlete.

11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.
    Sumo Wrestler.

Dave

djdennehy likes this.
  12. McRib 1s Back

Anyone have a local SOCAL shop for race car prep they can recommend? I'd like to start sorting out a budget for a cage and some of the basic needs. Also, I'd like to ease into this so that the car remains a street-legal option. That leaves open the idea of removing a lot of the comfort items, but probably means leaving the factory glass alone.

Speaking of safety and legality, can you legally remove airbags from a car that came with them from the factory? Suppose your car was in an accident, and the airbags deployed; can you be compelled to replace them? Can you decide to remove the "optional" airbags?

If I simply replace the seats, that still leaves the front two airbags, and I thought that was all that was considered standard these days. Anyone know?

13. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

We use to just unplug the airbags and bypass the load with a resister to shut off the dash light.
    If you drive on the street, I don't think you would have a legal issue however your insurance may have something to say.
    I thought were making a track car, they don't have airbags.

Now for the cage I do know a very good racecar prep shop but I believe they would be too expensive.
    Alternately I know a great weld shop that has done them.
    Unfortunately they are both local to me.

Dave

14. McRib 1s Back

Right, full race car doesn't need airbags. I think I'm headed that way, but since it's still smells new, I want the ability to operate it on the street from time-to-time! :)

I thought a mid-point build might be to keep the glass, replace the seats with proper race seats, install a harness, install a cage, and keep it registered. I've been given advice to only build a full cage -- doing it in phases causes problems. That means gutting the car more than I intended, so I have to figure that out too.

15. wash

wash Active Member

A little conjecture:

They say the three door Fiesta may be going away in Europe because of crash standards. If that happens it seems very likely that M-sport will develop a four door R2 rally package and that should include cage compatible door panels for at least the front doors.

So waiting could let you keep it a street car longer and give you a nicer interior once you cage it.

I would wait unless I couldn't.

16. McRib 1s Back

That's interesting, thank you. I'm curious about what makes either the 3-door inherently less safe, or the 4-door safer. In the US, we often see subtle bumper and ride height changes. I doubt we have much of unique significance in our 4-door setup (i.e., is this a simple countermeasure or a reason to ditch the 3-door?).

17. wash

wash Active Member

I don't think it is meaningfully stronger, as in the difference can't be enough to make me prefer a four door.

The general theory is that two smaller door openings are stronger than one big one. My theory is that Ford wouldn't bother beefing up the three door when a Fiesta is considered a family car in Europe and four doors would be a selling feature.

18. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I have setup a number of cars in CA for street/track use and always removed the airbags.

This info is from around 1997 when building an audio competition Tacoma but I checked again in late 2002 when building the first 1zz turbo Matrix, the second day after they were first sold.

The first time I called my insurance agent and he in turned talked to the underwriters and they agreed I would still be fully covered, I have State Farm insurance.

I also called the state insurance commisioners office and was assured it was entirely legal to removed the for street use.

If you run a roll bar or cage then you really must run real race seats, fixed back, approved....and harnesses to be safe but there is a catch.

The only harnesses DOT approved for the street are the Schroth 3 or 4 point sets, full race harnesses are not approved and that would give your insurance company legal grounds to deny a claim.

If you drive with a cage then you really need to wear a helmet, not so fun on the street, I have done it but the cage was pushed as far from being able to impact any part of a body as possible then dual densitey FIA padding placed everywhere there was a chance of touching it in a wreck from any angle.

With a roll bar you can move it back as far as legal for whatever series you may end up racing in, pad it well and then move your seat as far forward as you can reach the pedals properly and pull the steering wheel back all the way, if you want real control you need to be way up close to the controls!

Fixed back seats still a must for roll bar as reclining seats can break in a rear impact and they you hit the roll bar, not a good thing.

I build all my own cages, roll bars, etc after having horrid experiences with "pro" race shop builds, mine always pass inspection the first time as I study the rules, look at every car I can for different series to see what was done and incorporate all the best into my designs. A roll bar or cage is no place to skimp, nothing safety wise is.

But, my ST will be pretty quick with more power, tweaked suspension, brakes, and DOT race tires but no added safety other than a suite, gloves, shoes, very good low weight helmet, I will just have to keep from over driving the car and only doing HPDE and maybe some TT.

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  19. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Have you called Road Race Engineering?

QUOTE="McRib 1s Back, post: 18747, member: 975"]Anyone have a local SOCAL shop for race car prep they can recommend? I'd like to start sorting out a budget for a cage and some of the basic needs. Also, I'd like to ease into this so that the car remains a street-legal option. That leaves open the idea of removing a lot of the comfort items, but probably means leaving the factory glass alone.

Speaking of safety and legality, can you legally remove airbags from a car that came with them from the factory? Suppose your car was in an accident, and the airbags deployed; can you be compelled to replace them? Can you decide to remove the "optional" airbags?

If I simply replace the seats, that still leaves the front two airbags, and I thought that was all that was considered standard these days. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

20. McRib 1s Back

21. McRib 1s Back

We're pretty much on the same page. I'm already very happy with my car. I'll have a new suspension configuration this week (new coilovers -- I'll update the related thread soon), and have done the modest brake system upgrades (SS lines, Porterfield pads, Motul 600), along with R compound tires. Since getting back into HPDE stuff, I always wear an SFI-rated suit, shoes, and gloves along with my Simpson Bandit helmet! :)

I can't say that I've noticed the reduced weight, but since I *never* carry backseat passengers, that hardware is permanently out of my car. The car is already reasonably light, and I can only claim about 60 pounds total for what I've done so far (spare and hardware with the seats/backing). I wanted to offset the weight for a cage, and I'm pretty much there. It would be nice to have finished door panels, so I'm not yanking those out until I can do something decent. It's a new car, so I figure a lot of this stuff has good resale value (I already have a small line for my Recaro seats!).