Reviewed: INJEN Air Intake for Fiesta ST

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by BlueBomber, Feb 27, 2014.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ordered mine this week. DaveSave do you already have a tuner (Cobb AccessPort, etc) or are you running stock programming? I am hopeful that a performance tune will be able to take advantage of the intake and make some added power.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

That's interesting you struggled with that part - the part that was an unbearable bastard for me was getting the OEM tube off of the same connector you mention off the turbo. That was the hard part. But, I did something extra I forgot to mention. I lubricated the mating edges of the tube beforehand with a little bit of water to help things slide easier, which helped - actual install/assembly of the unit went quickly for me.

Cobb actually recommends using silicon spray to mate some of their parts - and using a little lube really does help a LOT.

Glad to hear you otherwise like it, I did notice a marginal increase on the butt dyno - you may want to turn off ESC (hold the button instead of pressing it - a status bar appears on the MFT screen and once the status bar fills ESC is 100% off). There is definitely an increase in response, especially low end. try cruising with as little throttle input as possible and the difference is more noticeable. I have tried my Injen intake with my stock tune, Cobb Stage I 91, Cobb Stage 0 and Cobb Economy tunes. Again, I think you get a greater gain off the intake when combined with a tune.

But if you wanted a blow-off valve beforehand, getting this intake eliminates that need lol

4. DaveSave

DaveSave New Member

5. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Hope I get a warm day soon to install the new toys ... uploadfromtaptalk1395363094131.jpg

BlueBomber likes this.
  6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the Red installed ..

spangenb likes this.
  7. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Yeah Rod I am hoping it doesn't clash too bad with the orange car. It was really my only choice though. Black is invisible and I think polished looks a little cheesy on a street car.

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Should be Fine :)

spangenb likes this.
  9. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Check it out. New video of how it sounds actually fitted on the car.

aborbs87 likes this.
  10. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Sweet Sounds Great..

11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Turns out the color is pretty orangey ... sorta a Chinese red. Cool sounds :) Install was generally easy. I have some commentary on design/quality that I will post later.
    uploadfromtaptalk1395447522367.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395447556548.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1395447584189.jpg

12. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Looks Good ..

spangenb likes this.
  13. ralphxtreme

ralphxtreme New Member

very nice

14. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ok so the quality and fit of the parts is good. There were a number of things that annoyed me. Guess I have really high standards: a few spelling/grammar errors in the instructions. The required tools list wasn't complete because the factory hardware as well as the provided hardware needed extra sizes. I got an extra nut and was missing one washer. The bolts that hold the heat shield to the rubber air box grommets came with regular washers. They need to be fender washers. Installed with the regular washers they never really got tight and I easily pulled the shield free of the grommets ... pulled the nuts/washers right through. The fender washer provided to attach the shield to the rad support covers a pretty large square hole. The washer deforms easily when tightening the socket head bolt and ends up looking cheesy. I'd like to see a machined aluminum thicker washer here. The silicone coupler fits pretty sloppy on the turbo. It gets tight with the clamp, but seems like it should fit tighter before clamping. The clamps seem big with probably 1.5" of tail sticking out when tightened. The clamps don't operate very smoothly ... just don't make 'em like they used to I guess. The machined bosses for the two vacuum/breather connections and the MAF were powder coated instead of being left un-coated. This made seating the connectors quite difficult. In fact, the small hose still isn't on all the way. I will revisit that tomorrow. The self-cut/fit weatherstrip on the heat shield is pretty cheesy and I would really like to see something that attempts to seal around the tube and against the hood and other surrounding parts. I know there has to be room for things to move, but the CAI on my '08 Mustang (I forget the brand) was much better in this respect.

All in all I like the kit a lot. It fits well looks great, and sounds great. I guess you can call me picky :)

15. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Oh and a couple things were left for me to figure out, like I had to cut the MAF harness free of a couple tape wrapped restraints to make it reach the new MAF location. The heat shield impinges on the hood release cable a bit. I suppose it might chafe over time.

16. dreamernyc

dreamernyc New Member

My findings after my install:

Make Sure MAP Sensor is not hitting the Plastic cover behind. When you launch hard engine moves back with the intake and hits that plastic. You might damage your Sensor and wiring. When you installed supplied Rubber Mount/Support for the intake did you remove the 2nd Big Nut ? If not make sure to remove it then install the rubber mount. It only holds the wire bracket. Do not touch the smaller nut. Also make sure your Hood Support or holder whatever you wanna call it is not touching the Filter itself.

When you install heat shield you use 2 supplied bolts to secure it down. The one close to the Fender could be touching the wiring below. I used shorter bolt.