SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. TRev

TRev Member

I didn't notice after mine were installed.

On a side note, borrowing my friend's Civic SI and definitely think its a contender at a Champ/Match Tour as long as the course doesn't have multiple corners that require torque to dig out of . I don't think it will be competitive at a Pro if it resembles the courses I attended last year.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I agree on the SI as they could have a chance to be good in what is becoming Spec FiST.
  4. Des

Des Active Member

I ran one back in 2008-09 -- it was my Street Tire car (at the time most folks were still on Rs, and I had the Cobalt SS for that).

it was a fun car -- there's the diff, plus generous tire clearance. You could get a 245 under there. With a rear bar I bet it would turn very well.

But soft, heavier than it looks, and at least in the model i had, very gearing limited (I want to say it was 55 in second?).
  5. k757

k757 Active Member

I drove with a NASA based club on saturday.
    225/45-16 Dunlop Z2 SS on Sparco Assetto Gara
    38f, 35r - I'm just getting to the wear indicator
    Eibach FSB

First in class, 7th overall of 70

It was super windy

Impala SS AutocroSSer and F1ST like this.
  6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Same day and lot as Keith, but I ran with the SCCA PCA group. I was in the first heat. It was chilly, windy and dusty - so it was a bit slick.
    My tires had about 60 miles on them and it was the first event with the Konis installed.

First - car felt great with the Konis. So much better then it did last year. The 225 Dunlops are also a big step up from the Stock Bridgestones I ran last season. I was running about 43 in the rear 36 in the front.

I need to relearn how the car drives now, I ended up in the middle of the pack...but I threw away my fastest runs and could have been a second faster and that much further up the field if I did not cone away my best run.

I will post my video when I get it over to You Tube later today.
    Impala SS AutocroSSer likes this.
  7. Nice to see more results :)

FWIW at El Toro, I had the 225/45R16 Z2SS up front and some (holding the car up) 205/45R16 RS3v2s in back. Front pressures at 38, rears at 45 to help rotation. Front Konis about 1/4 turn off full soft, rears full stiff. Rear Eibach bar.

Car was fairly neutral with good turn-in but controllable amounts of tail happy.
  8. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

I noticed Waterloo, Iowa is going to be a hotbed for Fiesta ST action this weekend. My son has AAU basketball this weekend, and I can't make the event. There is snow on the ground this morning, but should be 70 and, hopefully, dry for the runs on Sunday. Wish I could be there!!!!
  9. Mightymango

I am one of the ones that is going to be there as well as my co-driver. Trev is coming as well as another person from our region that liked my car so much he bought one. I'm hoping the weather holds out as it is a trek to drive and then stand in the rain but I'll be there either way.
  10. Mightymango

Good...I'm not the only one that still has the rear bar installed.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  11. Des

Des Active Member

NW Region SCCA Event 1, Bremerton, Wash.
    Second of 17 in open PAX, sixth of ~140 or so overall. Multiple national jackets below -- and an M3 above that kicked my ass by nearly a paxed second. That kind of a gap doesn't happen in NWR Pax class, which is typically decided by hundredths. Bill Zerr is an undocumented alien.

215/45/17 RE71s front, 235/40/17 Dunlops rear, Konis full soft / full stiff, Corksport 22mm front bar.

Kevin Dietz did the course, so while there were pin turns at either end there were several delicious 60-mph sweepers in between. Great progressive rotation, even with the bar, and no hint of the mid-corner skating that we chased all last season. It was fun to watch my car on course as well and see my co-driver figure it out run by run -- he is a master at provoking changes in the attitude of the car. I will need to boot him out of the car before long :)

Tires were largely fine in the low-40s temps but we'd have done better in a later heat, I'm sure.

May be the combo of cold asphalt and stiff rear shocks, but Alan and I have both found ourselves starting through the windshield in wrong direction when attempting a lift/twitch. It comes around almost instantaneously!
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  12. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

North Hills Sports Car Club, Pittsburgh PA

215/45/17 Dunlop DZ102's, Stock suspension, Green Filters intake filter, FSWerks 2.5 inch cat back

Course was designed by Dan Ennis, being a first event of the year it was something short and somewhat simple. Two tight hairpins bogged the Fiestas in second which allowed for two MINIs to be in touch with us, but out of 14 drivers in HS I was second by .016...

The Fiesta continues to be unflappable, I had two co-drivers throughout the day so that car ran 12 times versus only 4, but she was solid for everyone throughout the day without a single issue. The Dunlops are good not great (obviously), but held up to an entire day of thrashing without any performance drop off. Overall it was an awesome day, I just wish I could have found another tenth out there, but honestly it might not have been there to be found.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

It was cool and damp post-thunderstorm here with a short and twisty course.....

jimclark likes this.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

I more or less watched from afar as Smokin and another excellent driver, Doug Patterson, smoked my a$$ and patted me on the head afterwards, but I consoled myself with their spots in the PAX order--2nd and 5th. And had Doug not caught a cone with his fast run, they would've ended up 2 and 3, I believe. And there are some very, very good drivers in there. I'm <ahem> a wee bit further down the list.

Now, that all said, has anyone else noticed the "Cop eating a donut.jpg" window minimized there? Ya got me curious, Smokin!
  15. TRev

TRev Member

My first event in the car yesterday. We raced on a 5 year old smooooth concrete surface. I'll post a video below of another vehicle to give an idea of the layout. Short course that was mostly power on, brake, sweeper, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't say it was a real favorable course for the platform. The Iowa Region did a great job making use of the space available and put on an awesome event with a record attendance of 110. We had a good turnout in class with four separate FiST's and five drivers. It was great seeing so many familiar faces :)

This year I have been trying to talk myself into learning to run left foot braking (LFB). I co-drove a number of years ago with a double digit National Champ/Driver of Eminence and he data logged and analyzed our runs. I was carrying more speed through corner exit but he was making it to the next corner sooner as he was LFB, so on the gas sooner. I considered trying it but didn't want to take the time going backwards before I might start improving so I haven't tried LFB since that event 4-5 years ago. I kept telling myself, start the season LFB but competition quickly erased that thought each time.

After having spoke this past year to two more very accomplished drivers who switched to LFB, I told myself this is the year but by the time I pulled to the line for my first runs, I thought, I better get in a couple laps not using LFB to shake off any cobwebs and give myself a benchmark. I ran run one at 42 psi front/rear just to check the rollover. Tires hadn't been scrubbed hard and wasn't the best line on course. 34.5. Next run, I dropped front pressure to 40 psi front/42 rear as rollover was at the tops of the triangles mostly. Made a couple small mistakes and got a bit wide in two spots. 34.3.

I had two runs in but didn't know how close the others were as I couldn't see cars finish or hear times. I dropped the pressures to 38 in front and 42 rear. I got to the line for the third run and almost talked myself out of LFB but by the first corner I was ready and executed. It felt pretty good and I actually got a little tighter mid-corner and exit than expected due to my left foot being a little insensitive to the brake pedal on entry. It is a good thing the Porterfields take some serious pressure to bite hard. Generally speaking I don't like how much pressure that is but learning LFB it is definitely helping. The run felt great considering this was my first autox run ever LFB the entire course. A tenth or two of notable mistakes but otherwise felt on. 33.9. My last run I missed the braking zone a bit at the far 180 and went wide at the finish. 43.3. Hopefully my left foot keeps cooperating!

Here are all results for class, pax and raw.

Here is what the course looked like. Pretty sure this is Mike in his STS Miata who was only .092 off me on pax!

The 2nd place FiST was only prepped with Z2* and Sparco's. He had a nice finish in class and overall for the prep level!

Des, there was a 2009 BMW M3 there driven by a friend. He pointed out to me that he has never beat me on raw time but this was his weekend. Congrats Quincy! ya got me by .2! :)
  16. Mightymango

Thanks for posting the results Trevor. The person that got 2nd in the FiST caught me as I was leaving asking about tire pressures. He was doing the opposite of us (42 front and 38 rear) and said he was just tossing it in corners. I guess that surfaced liked that style of driving. Overall it was a good day to have a Fiesta though.
  17. eRic

eRic Active Member

1) April 12, 2015 Detroit Council of Sports Car Clubs [DCSCC] champ event hosted by Corvette Club of Michigan.
    1st in H Street
    7th in pax

2) H Street on OE wheels and tires with 42 psi front, 39 psi rear. Green Filter air filter. FSWERKS sport exhaust system. my mountune gear knob rocks.
    3) Drove in Sport mode and did my runs back to back. This was not a SCCA event so there's no run/work order.

The video is unedited and includes returning to the paddock. D'oh! I forgot to calibrate the accelerometer.
    4) the MINI and Rabbit drivers were 5th and 4th in the DCSCC series in 2014. I was 8th. Top ten drivers use that as their car number for 2015.
    5) Performance Blue aka "Spirit Blue"
    KKaWing likes this.
  18. TRev

TRev Member

Ran a Milwaukee Region event today. Course had a fair amount transitional stuff and some good momentum sections if the right line was chosen.

I ended up tied for 2nd overall on pax with 208 timed competitors. Event 1 Final Results, PAX, 4-20-15.htm

Had the front pads smoking to the point I felt like I needed to drive the car around for a bit to cool them. Not sure they are going to handle a Pro. Running the Porterfield R4-S.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  19. Mightymango

Good job running out there, they have one of the fastest clubs in the country imo and one of the best sites.
  20. TRev

TRev Member

Thanks, we definitely have a great group of people. We now have one of the previous National trailers and it is awesome! Felt like a National event! I was laughing at myself Saturday morning as it was a few hours before I even noticed.

The course design was top notch too. Definitely required thought to find the best line. I walked with a 4 time National Champ and resident alien Andrew Canak and his insight was very much appreciated.
  21. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

1) a link to the results posted elsewhere on the inter webs

Washington DC Region SCCA Championship Event #1, April 19, 2015 at FedEx Field, Landover, Maryland (but this won't be there forever)

1st in class, 25th in PAX out of 240 or so drivers... my best raw time would have translated into maybe 18th in PAX.

2) your class and your setup (brief- we don't need to know your shift knob rocks)

H-Street, Koni Yellow rear shocks, K&N Filter, 225/45-16 Dunlop Direzza ZII tires

3) how you drove... Did you leave the a/c running? ( that's my personal go-to excuse )

First event of the year, I was sloppy and it took a couple runs to find my mojo.

4) notes on your competition (nationals driver in a sorted celica, or a novice with three passengers)

A Civic Si driven by a quickly improving young driver on tires that could probably use replacement. Incidentally, the Civic Si was moved down to H-Street at the same time as the FiST. Our times would have had us in 1-2 positions in G-Street!

5) color of your Fiesta ST ( or whatever else you wish to add )

I love my Fiesta.