SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Yesterday was our first autoX for the season, finished 1st in GS, 19th in PAX out of 81 total drivers...

http://www.nhscc.com/2014/20140413/4-13-2014/dt.htm

Still getting used to the car, to be honest I feel as though I was letting the car down a bit, could feel another second in the car that I could not get out of it.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Des

Des Active Member

No less than 7 Fiesta drivers at SFR-SCCA on Sunday. Josh and I ran for fun only but would have paxed 9-10 in a field of 270.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10vzmqc2hHNc4etegpf3N bZxTLlZ139ReoqzP5V5fgUY/edit?usp=sharing

This was my car (Eibach bar, 215/45/17 Dunlops) with a new twist: the stock 205/40/17 Bridgestones mounted on the back, pumped up to 58 psi. Two other drivers ran Josh's car, with no bar, 225/45/16 Dunlops up front and 17-inch stockers in the rear. Times were not dramatically different, and neither was the feel (says Josh, who took a run in the second car, too). The third Fiesta was on its maiden autox, shod with 225/45/16 Toyos. The owners, very experienced and talented folks, will doubtlessly figure things out we haven't, but I could tell they were not in love w/ the Toyos.

4. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Des. Are you on stock wheels? Any rubbing with the zii's? Did the car push in the "you whore" section or was my ex-girlfriend at the track? Very nice work!!! 9th outta 270 isn't anything to sneeze at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Des

Des Active Member

Yes, on stock wheels, and so far the ZIIs only rub at full lock. I think a good dip might brush the inside fender.

Results are not bad but several fast folks were at El Toro winning championships, including my buddy Mark in his Focus that we've been using as a benchmark. Probably you'd have to add four or five folks in front of us. I try to be realistic.

It pushed a bit when I was expecting lift-throttle oversteer, thus the swearing. But a vast improvement over some previous events, where it was X#!@ the entire run.

6. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I still find it strange you're having to make such radical changes to make the car rotate while so far I've not seen that problem with mine. My tires are shorter and wider than yours and my OZ wheels are about 6 lbs lighter but none of those items should have a material effect on handling. Could there be that big of a car to car variation? Or perhaps our driving styles are that different? I should have more data after Sunday's event so we can compare notes again.

Mr UFO and Smokin like this.
  7. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah, I'm confused on how drastic the difference is from car to car as well. I'm guessing it has to do more with drivers preferences as to how much slip in the rear that people like or dislike.

I could see the parts that it pushed, doesn't seem like it was terrible though.

8. Des

Des Active Member

I've never said the push was terrible. I've said the car doesn't rotate the way the Focus or even a Mini does -- two cars we'll have to contend with. We're also running in warmer temperatures than many of you, and often on concrete.

My rear toe is a little over an eighth total. If there is car to car variation, that's where it would be noticeable.

But enough people have driven the car -- great drivers with plenty of national jackets, etc. -- that it's not just my interpretation.

Couldahadav8 and Mightymango like this.
  9. Mightymango

Oh I believe you, I wasn't implying that it was terrible at all....sorry for the confusion, I was just agreeing on the pushing.

Good driving either way.

10. Couldahadav8

I think the temperature might be a key factor too. Can't wait for it to warm up to figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I still wonder if it's a driving style thing. Plenty of national level drivers drove my Audi too but only Kevin Dietz besides myself ever managed to do well in it because it was so funky to drive fast. Des, are you bringing the Fiesta to Crows Landing? That would be good time to do some comparison.

12. Des

Des Active Member

My fault, should have said in the first post that the car was hugely improved. Getting any rotation at all was a big change that allowed us to get on the throttle earlier. This was a cheap experiment that seemed to pay off mid-corner and exit, but not on entry.

The difference in what we're seeing is baffling, but my gut tells me that people who are experiencing a lot of rotation in stock form are driving faster courses than ours, in colder or wet conditions, or have a skill set a notch or two above my own.

13. Des

Des Active Member

whoops, couple of replies slipped in, but you get the drift, and yes, Alan, I'll bring the FIesta to Crow's, though I may compete in the Focus, but we can go back to back on the practice course.

14. Mightymango

Temp may be the big difference. I know it will be cooler here at our first event (yes we have not had our first event) but that seems to be the one variable that is different (other then driver)

15. Couldahadav8

Alan. I was thinking about your success with the Audi and my impression that most people find those older Audis prone to understeer. Were you able to delineate what aspect of your driving style (and/or Kevin's) that allowed you to avoid the push?

I am not a national-level driver, and I am not finding much in the way of understeer, which makes me think that my ham-fisted approach to driving is contributing to oversteer. My mantra has been "...don't hit the brakes." Ultimately, this is not the fastest way around the course, but it might be mitigating understeer. I am also on BFG's instead of ZII's, and the cool weather seems a clear contributor. Oversteer was much worse (better?) when the tires were cool.

16. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

First of all not braking much is not a bad thing as it only slows you down and you want to go as fast as possible, right? :) Now in truth you do need to slow down from time to time so the real goal should be to not brake unnecessarily. I think the Fiesta is pretty neutral too so it could be that you are driving it right or that there is a large car to car variation. I’ve not yet driven in hot weather or on concrete so the understeer problem may get worse in those situations but I won’t know for a while.

The Audi did tend to push at slow speeds or in tight situations but with the rear shocks set full stiff I found I was able to get it to rotate handily with the right inputs which I could best describe as brake early, power early (waayy early) and certainly that could apply to a lesser extent to the Fiesta as well. I should have more data after this weekend’s event where I plan on trying a few different techniques to see what works best.

Couldahadav8 likes this.
  17. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Back to the THREAD FORMAT.... (hint)

1) a link to the results posted elsewhere on the inter webs
    2) your class and your setup (brief- we don't need to know your shift knob rocks)
    3) how you drove... Did you leave the a/c running? ( that's my personal go-to excuse )
    4) notes on your competition (nationals driver in a sorted celica, or a novice with three passengers)
    5) color of your Fiesta ST ( or whatever else you wish to add )

April 13, 2014: Autocrossers Inc. Double Event #2/#3 @ Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stadium in Waldorf, Maryland

1) Results:

Morning: http://www.autocrossersinc.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ai_2014_04_13_am_results.html
    Afternoon: http://www.autocrossersinc.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ai_2014_04_13_pm_results.html

2) Class & Setup: g-street, completely stock except for a drop-in K&N air filter, tires 42 front 36 rear ( I had a tire inflator this time, and a tire gauge even)

3) My Driving: I drove much better this week, and I improved as the day went on. The car got sloppier as the tires reached 44psi by the second run.. I bled it off and then maintained it at 42 psi and it seemed pretty happy there. I am really looking forward to driving with the 225/45-16 dunlop D-Zii's I just ordered.

4) Competition: nationals driver in a sorted celica, and a couple Civic Si's on comparable tires. There is always a large number of nationals drivers at AI events... look at the results and you'll see many familiar names. I was really happy to get into the top 25 in the afternoon's pax.

5) Other: Why am I the only Fiesta ST out there?!?! Also, the G-Street standings don't count the folks who paid $10 extra to run the "Pro" class, which included Andy Thomas in his G-Street "Tom Celica". What's most encouraging is that I pared the differential to less than 1.5 seconds on a 45-second course (vs. 5 seconds on last week's 60-second course).

Here's a video of my afternoon run. (I've probably watched it ten out of the twelve total times it's been viewed.)

Cligedy and k757 like this.
  18. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Thats a nice site you have there! Your speed looks very good but if the lens isn’t exaggerating things too much it looks like you are too far off the cones, especially in the 90 degree turns and are thus driving a wider line than needed.

19. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Yep. And that's why I'm hopeful. There's more time out there. I just need more practice. Next time I'll mount the camera on the rear driver side window where you can see my hands and the left tire's proximity to the cones. And then on the right to see how close I'm getting there. What I didn't get on video were the four cones I tagged with my rear wheels in the morning runs.

Maybe I overcompensated in the pm runs to keep it clean. Dunno.

20. Couldahadav8

Thanks. Yes, I do hit the brakes. Lift throttle speed modulation has been the target. Next time out, I will attempt to apply the slow in, accelerate early, and fast out. Thanks for sharing!

21. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Really tight on the slalom though...good job.

CrookedRacer likes this.