SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Des

Des Active Member

Congratulations, Alan! Beating Mark Smith in an AWD is awesome.
    AlanBDahl likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Des

Des Active Member

San Francisco Region: 2nd, 3rd and 4th out of eight in GS, paxing 6th, 9th and 21st out of 176.

Uphill start, ran out of gear, big hairy sweepers but somehow much closer than I would expect to our Focus ST target.

No setup changes for this event (235 Federals up front and stockers in rear at 54 psi, no rear bar). Once the Konis are in -- only a few weeks away, they promise -- we'll try going back to a square tire setup, which should help in sweepers.
  4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

How does one get in the loop to know when the Konis will be available. Is there a way to pre-order?
  5. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Hawk Performance has been promising their pads would come in "soon" since April. I'm not holding my breath for any of them.
    jimclark likes this.
  6. Des

Des Active Member

No loop. They're on the Koni-NA website as available mid-August for the standard Fiesta and fitment tests under way for the ST. Rears are push-and-turn, fronts adjustable at the top.

It's Josh's guess (and mine) that the standard Fiesta yellows will fit, but once we actually see a set ...
  7. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I would think that the fronts will require modification to be legal because of the different steering knuckles on the ST vs the base Fiesta even if they fit. It's important to remember fitting <> legal.
  8. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

1) a link to the results posted elsewhere on the inter webs
    4th of 88 in PAX
    11th of 88 Raw

2) your class and your setup (brief- we don't need to know your shift knob rocks)
    GS, 215/40/17 zii's (40 psi) front 215/45/17 rivals (48 psi) rear on 17x7 OZ's ghetto style
    Koni yellows for VW Golf/Jetta/Beetle modified to fit the Fiesta ST set 1/2 of a turn from full stiff

3) how you drove... Did you leave the a/c running? ( that's my personal go-to excuse )
    All nannies turned off. The course was on a 1/2 mile asphalt circle track that transitioned to a 1/4 mile circle track. I have never run there before, and the concrete walls were a bit intimidating, but not really a factor whatsoever when actually running.

4) notes on your competition (nationals driver in a sorted celica, or a novice with three passengers)
    Good drivers, but no strong national level competition aside from the modified cars that are at a disadvantage with PAX.

5) color of your Fiesta ST ( or whatever else you wish to add )
  9. Couldahadav8

This table might be a bit confusing. It is simply a comparison of my performances relative to Top PAX in the events this year versus previous years

Not sure what it means other than the Fiesta ST is a better GS autocross car than the Mustang V6 Performance Package is a DS autocross car, which might have been fairly clear in the first place. I had an RX8 back in the day that it was the car to have in BS, and my relative PAX scores then were typically in the .96 range.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  10. Des

Des Active Member

How are stiff shocks changing the car's behavior? Does it rotate better/more predictably? Is the difference subtle or pretty obvious?
  11. Couldahadav8

I am not sure how to answer this question. I would say that the car is more predictable especially in slaloms. With the stock shocks, I had an issue with tripoding so much I was losing control in slaloms, but that might be a factor of my driving and the sort of courses we have here. The shocks seem to help it stay more "sure footed" through slaloms and transitions, which I think means there is less body roll. The rebound is certainly more firm with the shocks, but the compression seems similar to perhaps even less than the stock shocks. Without a shock dyno, who knows? I am not sure that the Koni's have helped with getting the car to rotate. Crooked is running them too, I would be interested in what he thinks. He has been running them much softer than I have. They are such a pain to adjust, that it is not like you can just twist something and see how it works. My performance relative to top pax has statistically trended toward improving, but the data points are so limited and impacted by multiple variables that the finding might be spurious.
    jimclark likes this.
  12. eRic

eRic Active Member

1) Detroit SCCA After The Fireworks Solo page 2
    2) G Street. OE tires and wheels. Green air filter. COBB shift knob. Perrin shorty antenna. FSWERKS cat-back exhaust.
    3) drove with AdvanceTrac OFF.
    Here are my videos

4) G Street Class 7 ENTRIES
    #Name Year Make
    7 Potocki, John 2013 Ford Focus ST
    17 brown, jason 2014 Ford Focus ST
    24 Britton, Neil 2013 Ford Focus ST
    34 Penn, Eric 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
    71 Hartsaw, Tom 2014 Ford Focus ST
    97 Mohammed, Azmath 2001 Toyota Celica
    125 Wong, Jen 2010 Volkswagen GTI
    there were actually 8 entries. 5 of them were Focus ST
    5) Performance Blue
  13. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I didn't drive the FiST this weekend (drove the evo) but my friend Joel did.

He wanted to class out of Novice rather then just jump to G Street. He was 2nd out of 18 and of course was 2nd to a FoST but by only 3 tenths.

He drove with all assists off and the only mods are a rear bar. It does have 225/40/16 ZIIs on it. I did not do the offset tire thing as I did drive it on the same surface at the test and tune the day prior and it was rotating really well with 44 psi in the rear and 38 in the front.

Anyway here are videos of me in my ASP evo and him in my FiST

To put it in perspective I was at the end of the day about 7 seconds faster on course.

Official results have not been posted yet or I would share

ASP Evo

N/GS FiST
  14. CrookedRacer

My car was undriveable because I foolishly began changing out my front struts for some experimental ones 20 hours before the event.

So I drove to the event anyway in my Audi, and walked up to the G-Street crowd and said "Who wants a co-driver?"

Steven H. offered his ride, very generously. So the results here (3rd in G-Street) are not in my Fiesta. They're in a bone-stock Focus ST with stock tires.

I drove first, and unfortunately the Focus succumbed to heat soak for Stephen's final run. I felt really bad about that. He's a great driver and he should have had that last shot, as he was only .017 seconds behind. He just didn't have the power he should have had.

When it's operating properly, the Focus is certainly more powerful, but heavier. I got a little sloppy on the first run and rather than plow cones trying to save it, I just went off course. In several places.

Fortunately I cleaned it up by the fourth run. I actually noticed a lack of power in the latter half of that run but I wasn't thinking about "heat soak". Just doesn't occur to a Fiesta owner, I guess. Well I learned it's a pretty well documented shortcoming of the Focus ST.

Overall, I think we have little chance of winning Nationals if the course ends up being a Nationals-style course (big and fast). But I'm going to have a lot of fun trying. And here's to hoping for lots of tight slaloms.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  15. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

That is how I'm looking at Nats....little chance but it is not going to stop me from having a good time.
  16. Did anyone notice that Tire Rack is listing Hawk (rear) pads for the ST now?
  17. CrookedRacer

No, but wake me up when the fronts are available.

Porterfield now lists at least one compound on their website.
    jimclark likes this.
  18. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Just received my front and rear Porterfield R4S pads today.
    CrookedRacer likes this.
  19. CrookedRacer

Do share your experience!
  20. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I usually put Hawk HPS pads on my cars, but due to lack of availability this will be my first set of Porterfields. From what everybody else says I expect them to be great. Not sure when I will put them on.
  21. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I will be putting mine in with Stoptech cyro treated rotors and SS braided line this month or Early next month So hoping they loose nothing over facotry and gain something lol watching for your feedback.. now back to noises the car makes
    Anyone hear a light clicking type noise as you coast slowly forward ?? mine does and i can put it on stands and roll the tires and hear it but can not pin point it As I have had the Trans open and the LSD installed maybe it is just a Quaife quirk?