SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Gear lash? I assume its not a broken tooth type noise :eek:. I don't know what that sounds like in the FiST but do in a MG Midget.
    MH

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

My bad to hijack this topic about AutoX results i'll start a new thread SORRY

4. eRic

eRic Active Member

1) CCM hot times autocross.
    http://www.corvetteclubmi.com/images/Competition2014/080314_DCSCC.pdf
    D'oh! cone...
    [​IMG]

2) G Street. OE tires and wheels with 42/39 psi front/rear. Green air filter. COBB shift knob. Perrin shorty antenna. FSWERKS cat-back exhaust.
    3) drove with AdvanceTrac in Sport mode on the first run then turned it OFF and it was way too loose... so I put back in Sport mode.
    Here are my videos

4) beat two of the three VW GTI.
    5) Performance Blue

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  5. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

My first couple events with the double-adjustable Koni's up front:

1) a link to the results posted elsewhere on the inter webs

Saturday at a local club... I had a lot of fun.
    http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/results.html

Sunday at WDC Region SCCA Championship Event #4
    http://wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocross/...pionshipEvent4Results/tabid/1794/Default.aspx

2) your class and your setup (brief- we don't need to know your shift knob rocks)
    G-Street.
    225/45-16 Dunlop Direzza ZII's
    16x7 MSW wheels
    Double-adjustable Koni RACE inserts up front (bump 1/2 firm, rebound full soft)
    Single-adjustable Koni Yellows in back (1/2 firm)
    4-point harness
    K&N Filter

3) how you drove... Did you leave the a/c running? ( that's my personal go-to excuse )
    I drove rather unevenly... unfortunately I kept overshooting a particular "S" chicane-style element.

The event was tailor-made for the Fiesta, and I didn't seem to take advantage of it... The course wasn't fast enough anywhere to hit the rev limiter, and there were slaloms throughout. The Fiesta should have shined.

If I had driven perfectly, I might have been able to nab 3rd place. But I'm not sure I could have driven fast enough to catch the 2nd place FoST or Andy Thomas' Unicorn.

4) notes on your competition (nationals driver in a sorted celica, or a novice with three passengers)
    Nationals drivers in a new almost-sorted celica and in a couple FoSTs.

5) color of your Fiesta ST ( or whatever else you wish to add )
    It's white.

Overall, I think the shocks are doing their job, but I don't have a lot of different points of reference. I set them and I didn't make any changes all weekend, primarily because I haven't yet made an adjustment tool to easily adjust the rebound at the top of the strut towers.

I wish I was a good enough driver to jump out of the car and say "it needs more bump" or "it needs a bar in back" or "it needs a stiffer anti-roll bar in front". But I'm not, so I will have to wait until our next test-n-tune to have some friends drive the car and opine.

I am happy with the installations as they stand, since they don't rattle or cause me any concern at this time. They're behaving as designed, and that's where I was hoping to be at this point.

Well, that and about 1 second closer to the leaders. I have lots of seat time between now and Nationals, so I look forward to that.

Couldahadav8 likes this.
  6. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Great job. Your competition there is very strong. Did you have the impression of reduced body roll up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CrookedRacer

Body roll was unchanged, but I think the dampers are doing their jobs in slowing the car's roll rate. The car seemed more responsive... better turn-in. It felt more settled, too. But again, I did put the harness in around the same time. That's a big factor as far as how the car feels.

I look forward to playing with the settings between runs, getting some ride-alongs with some of our region's hotshoes this weekend. And we have a BUNCH!

8. eRic

eRic Active Member

1) Great Lakes Solo Series Divisional w/ SVR.
    Three Separate Events in Two Days
    http://www.soloseries.org/2014/14_DET4_SatAM_res.htm#gs
    http://www.soloseries.org/2014/14_DET4_SatPM_res.htm#gs
    http://www.soloseries.org/2014/14_DET4_Sun_res.htm#gs

2) G Street. OE tires and wheels with 42/39 psi front/rear. Green air filter. COBB shift knob. Perrin shorty antenna. FSWERKS cat-back exhaust.

3) AdvanceTrac in Sport mode on the first runs then turned it OFF.

http://youtu.be/M1PHNoGtYO0
    http://youtu.be/lQrYVeTbeWc
    http://youtu.be/Ybjc7u061rk
    http://youtu.be/Feza0yamJGw
    http://youtu.be/4rVIedJ3wRI

4)G Street Class 12 ENTRIES
    #NameYearMake
    17Kurrle, Ryan2014Ford Taurus SHO
    18Burton, Peter2013Ford Focus ST
    24Britton, Neil2013Ford Focus ST
    26Clute, Lori1994BMW 325i
    34Penn, Eric2014Ford Fiesta ST
    87Snyder, Zach1997BMW 328i
    88Payne, James2003Ford Mustang
    91Rogers, Jonathan2005Dodge SRT4 ACR
    125Wong, Jen2010Volkswagen GTI
    135Garrett, Joshua2014Ford Focus ST
    191Rogers, Gary2005Dodge SRT4 ACR
    197Mohammed, Azmath2001Toyota Celica

5) Performance Blue

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  9. Couldahadav8

http://www.mnautox.com/results/2014/mowog5_pax.htm

2) your class and your setup (brief- we don't need to know your shift knob rocks)
    19th in Pro PAX class. 21st overall. Trevor Jones in the Focus ST in 16th and 17th, respectively. I was within 6 tenths of Trevor, which I know is like an eternity in autocross. Nonetheless, this is the closest I have ever run to him. So, he might have had a bad day. He was on RSR's. Lets just say that I did not leave thinking that I would have beat him in a Focus ST. He would have beat me in my car. For this course, I think the cars were a good match.

Amongst GS cars, Trevor was first and I was second.

Setup: Koni rear shocks (modified New Beetle/Golf/Jetta) set to 1/2 turn from full stiff. OZ Ultraleggera 17x7 wheels with 215/40/17 ZII's in the front and 215/45/17 Rivals in the back--Ghetto. Stock filter, stock exhaust. Stock everything else.

3) how you drove... Did you leave the a/c running? ( that's my personal go-to excuse )
    My fastest time was with the AC running. No, really, I left the AC on. I would say that I started off really well and then did worse the rest of the day. I think I pushed the car too much, which caused it to, uhm, push. My fastest raw time listed says I had 1 cone, but I really had about 6 cones on that run.

4) notes on your competition (nationals driver in a sorted celica, or a novice with three passengers)
    I ran propax class. I am definitely second tier (if that) compared to the vast majority of the drivers ahead of me. I believe that many of the folks above me in that list have nationals trophies at home.

This is the club Mango runs in. He let 3 other people drive his Fiesta ST, which is a pretty awesome thing to do for other autocrossers. He was rocking his go kart with a full race suit (I think in black no less) in sunny, muggy, 94 degree weather. Thumbs up.

Back in black.

10. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

1.) www.stcsolo.com
    2.) GS class, green drop in filter, Cobb shift knob, G-force 5 points, essentially bone stock (stock Bridgestones)
    3.) Drove to the limit of the OE tires
    4.) 2nd in GS class (to a Focus ST), 6 cars in class... 35th out of 95 total drivers in PAX
    5.) Tuxedo Black

11. CrookedRacer

http://www.scca.com/events/results.cfm?eid=6995

The FrankenKoni's I've posted about elsewhere, set to half firm all around.
    215/45-16 Falken Azenis RT-615K
    Motegi mr125 16x7 rims
    Drop in k&n filter
    "4"-point harness
    Cool Dogpark theme graphics
    Curt hitch

On the west course, I believe I drove as well as I am able to. The course suited me and my car. It felt more like the kind of courses we have at home, and for good reason: Course designer Lee Piccione is from the WDC Region, so I have driven my fair share of his courses. The car did well, was balanced and danced through the slaloms. Also, the Falkens seemed to stand up to the heat pretty well. They definitely didn't collapse like the Direzzas would. I could run a lower pressure and still dive into a turn without being afraid I would burst a bead.

I went back to the hotel in 18th place feeling pretty good about my day. I had clean runs. I pushed harder on the last one and ended up pushing through the last big turn just a bit. I felt like I hadn't blown anything. Just solid driving.

The east course wasn't as fun for me. My first run was tentative, feeling it out, and I hit a cone In the first slalom, mostly out of laziness. I really have to keep those hands moving. The second run was better, and clean, and I was feeling much better with a 68.595, and I had the feeling that if I really drove it well, I could get 67 something. Well, I hit that same damn cone and I was so pissed that I let up and just finished out the run rather sloppily and slowly. I now wish I had maintained focus just to see what my best raw time could have been. Oh well. I was into the rev limiter all over that course, which was way faster than the west course.

A couple other drivers had better days on the east side and bumped me down to 20th place. That was kind of depressing knowing I didn't have the run I really wanted.

Nationals drivers in sorted celicas, foci, geneses, a Volvo, a couple Neon SRT4's, and a cool v-6 camaro. And one Smokin' Fiesta ST.

It is Oxford White, but its driver is kind of blue at the moment.

12. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Sounds very much to me as if the car wasn't well suited to the competition, by which I mean both the other vehicles and the courses, especially the east course. On a long, fast course, the FoST, for instance, will readily show its power/torque advantage, as will the Volvo S60R. On both short and long courses times from various regions and now at nats seem to indicate that we're not necessarily going up against the right set of opponents--HS might not be a bad choice. That said, kicking the FoST up to DS (and maybe the Volvo too?) and getting some more time sorting out setups and so forth could perhaps allow the FiST to compete effectively against the other cars in GS. Though there remains the difficulty re: camber adjustment. That is, the FiST offers essentially nothing there, and others often do, such as the (slightly older) Hyundai Genesis that would still be in GS, where I think it rightfully belongs. That lack of camber adjustment I believe hampers the car's actual strength--that is, nimbleness and handling--against other well-prepped cars. I don't think the tires were the factor that others might. I know at least one of the FiSTs at nats had some good runs on 'em before Lincoln, and it seems at least one of the drivers isn't claiming the tires as the problem. (Am I right, Crooked?) Adding Konis (new ones specced for the FiST) on at least one of the cars also failed to make a dramatic difference, though there may be a learning curve at play there, as the Konis are brand new. Not sure how much another year of tweaks and experience will affect what we're seeing.

Edit: BTW, here's a more direct link to the results (under the live-timing portion of the site).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I'm all for moving to HS. Would love to have that pax!

jasyatz and jimclark like this.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Excellent point! And that's in addition to the competition with the Minis, which I think would be very good. Well, for you fast guys, anyway!

jasyatz likes this.
  15. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

These are the "unofficial results" snip it from the event yesterday. I got with-in .318 of Trevor (I was ahead in the morning) but I drove terrible in the PM runs.

[​IMG]
    Tim Davis and Ryan Thompson (Co-Driver and I) The ME is my friend that posted this picture. Andy was in a FoST as well. Pretty crazy how close all the GS times were.

16. Couldahadav8

Great driving. What was Adam driving?

17. Mightymango

Adam was in his SRT-4.

18. Couldahadav8

Once again, great job. Maybe you shoulda run the fist at nats? So how does this fit with the fist should be in hs?Tight course? Adam running on uniroyal tiger paws?

19. Mightymango

Barber was on Rivals. He was doing things in his car that I have never seen him do (spun off course) and the tail was coming around as well. The course was tight as it is not on a parking lot but it is fairly open with fast sections (rev limiter in 2nd)

I still think for national style courses the FiST would still be a better fit. The tighter sections and narrowness of the pavement didn't hurt the FiST as badly. I lost to my co-driver after I told him were he was making a mistake...instantly dropped 7 tenths after....just barely though.

Trevor and I are going to do two events this upcoming weekend to see how we do in each others cars on a larger course.

20. Couldahadav8

Awesome. Thanks.

21. Mightymango