SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Reading that PAX class list is like reading the Sportscar Edition on who is going to win at nationals. Needless to say, you had an awesome year. Cheers.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

1) 3rd in G-Street... 24th in PAX out of 185+

2) Same setup as last autocross... Direzzas, Custom Konis, drop in air filter. Plus a mess of electronics (GPS, Android, Solostorm, GoPro, ODB-II)
    3) Tighter course than typical for DC Region, favorable for the FiST, but the FiST wasn't up to the task. I drove pretty well except for the last damn turn which I got behind on and blew my lead. Here's the evidence:

Comparison between Andy and myself on our best respective runs.

Comparison of log data between Andy and Danny and then Danny and myself:

4) Mike Neary is a really good driver that jumped in Danny Kao's car and won the class. Danny's raw time was impressive, though. Andy took 3rd in G-stock in 2013 at nationals and routinely wins or places at national events on the East coast.

5) Dogpark White.
  4. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

How are the Konis working out for you? Everytime I become convinced that the Fiesta needs shocks I have event like yesterday’s where the car feels perfect as-is. I think I’ll try taking a cautious approach and do only the rears for our first practice events come February and then install the fronts once I have a few data points.

Also watching the videos I think you should work on shuffle-steering a little more, Andy seemed to do a better job of that though he was maybe a little slower to react than you were. Fix the steering inputs and I think you’ll come out on top the next time.
  5. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

I love the Koni's. They really work for me on the autocross course and on the track. I felt faster with them at full stiff (full rebound / full bump) than at half-n-half (half rebound / half bump which I ran at Nationals).

I am hopeful that the class change to HS will mean many, many more Fiesta ST's coming out to play. And maybe some comparisons between aftermarket and stock will come out of it from a test n tune at some point along the way.

Thanks for the advice on steering. Yeah, my style is to hold on to that wheel until it crosses up my arms pretty good. But the steering angles between us really weren't much different. I hate losing track of wheel center so much that I usually dare not move my hands. And this was the tightest course at WDC Region for quite some time.

I know where I gave up all the time... right at the end. I overdrove that last tight turn and I had to crawl the rest of the way to the finish. You can see it in the second log run in the second video above. I was so pissed at myself. Andy posted some video from his device (the one taking up the entire windshield in my video) and if you listen for it, you'll hear my F-bomb because I knew just what that meant before I even finished.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

You both looked quick and it was fun to see you look ahead in the videos, you can't always see it when you get videos in the car. I don't think the shuffle steer killed it as much as the last corner as you said.

Lots of good driving by FiST owners this year. Next year should be VERY interesting.
  7. Mister_Mino

Mister_Mino Member

Guilty, but it was 0.089, lol! You making it out this weekend? Did 24 runs this past weekend during the SCR two day event...
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    djdennehy likes this.
  8. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

1) 2nd in Pax 1st in Propax class.
    2) 215/40/17 ZII's front 215/45/17 Rivals back on 17x7 OZ's, koni sport rear shocks set 1/4 from full stiff.
    3) The first half of the course was made for the Fist in terms of strengths versus other cars. It was extremely tight in the first half with several short slaloms, a pivot turn, and a very tight chicane. It was possible to drive the Fist through it. If I was driving a Mustang, I would have left after walking the course. The second half was relatively open, almost road-race like.
    4) Biggest name there was Joe Tharpe, but he was not running his National event car. He was running a basically stock C6 Z06 corvette. Also a number of drivers with nationals experience and some with trophies.
    5) Tuxedo Black

1) 7th in Pax.
    2) 215/40/17 ZII's front 215/45/17 Rivals back on 17x7 OZ's, koni sport rear shocks set 1/4 from full stiff.
    3) This was a nice course, but I never did it quite right. I consistently messed up 1 hairpin turn because of my failure to look ahead. Got it close to "right" my fastest time. Was able to hit the rev limiter through a fairly open slalom section. The weather was cool with some rain. Had about 3 dry runs.
    4) Multiple mod car drivers with nationals experience, trophies, and even jackets and several drivers with nationals experience.
    5) Tuxedo Black

This was easily my best season ever--Thank you Fiesta ST.

Expecting next season to be pretty exciting.
    • Koni struts.
    • Experiment with sway bar for the front.
    • Put on my 3" exhaust.
    • Stick an aftermarket air filter in it.
    • Better tires including experimenting with 235/40/17 zii star specs or alternatives if they show up.
    • Lose weight from the area just above the driver's seat.
    • Get more seat time.
    • Obviously, these were not listed in order of importance or chronologically.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  9. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Shutting things down for the season, need to save money for next year (new tires and other household items)
  10. Des

Des Active Member

Not meaningful but fun:
    10/18/14 Golden Gate Porsche Club (at Alameda, where they film all the Mythbusters stunts)
    1.) They don't list anything but raw times for non-Porsches. Raw time was 25th out of 116. Third or fourth in pax if I figured classing right and depending on whether the FiST is considered HS or GS.
    2.) 235/17 Federals all around, 44 in front, 58 in back (concrete). No other mods. Rear Konis have arrived but weren't on the car.
    3.) Fun and fast, fast, fast. Start and finish were marque-club complex, but what was in between was wide-open and technical and couldn't have suited the Fiesta any better. A set of "stair steps" the FiST could take as a straight. A huge, decreasing radius sweeper with a third-gear entry. Speeds were high enough everywhere that the car rotated on command.
    4.) No one else in a remotely similar car. (Nobody ever changes their registered car for "Fun" class, so ignore pretty much all the car descriptions. The other guy shown in a Fiesta was in an SM Evo. Alex Muresan was in a BS S2000 for first three runs, a GT3 for the last ones. The Tsang brothers were in Max Hayter's STX-prepped BRZ. Karlton Lew was in a 370Z. Eric Lam was in an STX Mini.)

Without our reigning national GS champion around for contrast, hard to say how good the result was, but I have a feeling that this is the other, more pleasant side of course dependency.

Coming around to the idea of a bigger front bar. It needed it.

Side note: I had my rear motor mount replaced a few weeks ago, and the big clunk shifting to second is gone. Dealer had seen a couple like that.
  11. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

This was at Heartland Park Topeka. We did the 2012 East Nationals course backwards. there was a big difference between the morning cold temperature heats and the afternoon temps. The course really tightened up between the 2nd and 3rd runs and that's where everyone set the fastest time.

P9 of 91. I was on Falken 215/45x16s right at the sweet spot; Koni rears at 1/4 off full stiff and koni fronts at full soft with stock sway bar. Pressures were 39F/58R.

BTW there are 5 National Championship trophy winners above me....

P11, Justin Gilbert was in a brand new FiST and he's a newbie....I gotta watch out!!!

12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

it was obvious that whoever was in the green took consistently tighter lines.
  13. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

.7 off Reno is not a bad place to be for a partial season of development. I'm seriously considering getting back into HS and specifically into this car.
  14. toptier

toptier New Member

Just waned to share my first event in the FiST

1) I finished 5th overall on index and 1st in HS.

2) HS all stock running on 16" Sparco's with 205/50-16 ZII's.

3) Drove pretty well. Still adjusting to FWD.
    Here's my vid of my fastest run.

4) Conditions weren't to bad considering that it's January in Colorado. The temps were in the low 40's with puddles of water and some patches of ice early on. The Ice melted by the time my heat started but still had some water on course.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    k757 likes this.
  15. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Looks like you were having some grip issues there, was it really slippery because it was cold or something?

Can’t believe you guys are crazy enough to race in January!
  16. toptier

toptier New Member

Defiantly. I'm not sure what the ground temps were but they couldn't have gotten warmer than 50-60 degrees. The high temp only got to 46° and my tires never got hot. It was hard to get the power down.
  17. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Had my first event of the year this past weekend and ended up 4th in PAX behind three fast drivers (Darrin DiSimo, David Marcus, and Jason Ruggles) in STX BRZs. My Fiesta ST is stock except for Sparcos and 205/45/16 RS3s. Car felt great but I should've been a little faster as I was 0.9sec behind 1st place driver's PAX time.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  18. Des

Des Active Member

Dry event! Unfortunately, it was PCA so not exactly a great yardstick.

Konis soft up front, stiff in back, 22mm front bar, 235 Star Specs 40 front 32 rear, 55 degrees on asphalt.

Course had a drag-race start (lights 10 feet from the start line) on a taxiway and two pin turns at either end of a runway, so not exactly FiST-friendly, but pin turns were connected by a series of modest sweepers and two slaloms. Sweepers were a hoot -- I could keep my foot down on entry and the rear would step out very controllably. Didn't play with pressures because I wanted to get a feel for the shocks, but think next time I could go a bit lower (or much higher) in the rear.

One slalom was tight, and while the side-to-side toss was better the bar caused some push that took a couple of runs to figure out.

On the plus side, wheelspin on exits did not seem noticeably different than with the stock bar.

21st of ~90 raw, second in PAX if I figured Porsche classes right. Glen Hernandez was a bit ahead on index in a C5 Z06, and I think he got it all in the places you'd expect.

Pretty jazzed, though without other drivers in similar cars around it's hard to know if it was as good as it felt.
    jimclark, JLWSN and Couldahadav8 like this.
  19. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Des, were you using 2014 or 2015 PAX numbers? Generally though if you're in the neighborhood of Glen you're doing well. Are you going to be at either of the Emerald Downs events? Except for the brake pads my FiST is still bone-stock, mainly because of a lack of money, so that should be a good comparison.
  20. Des

Des Active Member

Nope, I'll be at the Blytheville Pro -- early April looks like earliest opportunity.
  21. SFR Season opener was a little over a week ago. SFR Results right now are a bit, umm, "wonky".

Net result though : I ended up with a 43.1 in my car, on 2nd run. Didn't go faster in 2 more runs. Setup : 205 Hankooks on 16x7, Rear Eibach bar, Konis (front full soft, rear full stiff). 2nd event (and first on a real surface) in the car so not horribly disappointed in the results.

Josh Salvage won HS with a 42.2, and got a 42.5 in my car. His car is on the crappier Konis, 235 Z2*S fronts, stock rears (i.e. the "SFR make it Rotate" setup), and I THINK a rear bar.

His note was that my car transitioned better (shocks help :) ) but his had noticably more corner entry "bite" from the wider fronts.

I just got a set of 225/45R16 Dunlops for the front, will try those with the Hankooks on back next time.

Videos :

My Run :

Josh's Run in my car :

From Solostorm, basically he was just a little faster "holy cow there was 2 seconds" kind of gains but no place I was a ton faster either. Data basically showed he was on throttle a bit more and that seemed to be the difference...